U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 02:55 PM

186 posts, read 609,203 times

Advertisements

I keep reading a lot of bad things about crime, air quality, weather, and general QoL in Fresno. How bas is it really? Don't-ever-think-of-living-there kinda bad or just worse than rest of affluent CA? I hear it gets a lot of bad rep in terms of safety and general quality of life with a lot of gang activity.

If I had a good job in the city, moving from the East Coast...would it be worth it? The goal would be to be in a VERY safe neighborhood (suburbs are fine) with very good schools and hopefully not a crazy commute (~30 mins or so, perhaps?) to Fresno. Any suggestions/feedback?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 03:18 PM

3,055 posts, read 4,350,251 times
North of Shaw Avenue, pretty much like sprawling American suburbia anywhere. South of Shaw it gets progressively worse save for a few nice pockets (Fig Garden, Tower District). The downtown is slowly improving, but still is something of an embarrassment for a city of a half million people. Its central location is something of a plus - from what other fairly large city can you get to three different national parks in 90 minutes to two hours? Basically though it suffers from being in a state with numerous beautiful coastal locations and interesting cities. Its not that its so horrible, its just the plain sister in a family of beauties.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
North of Shaw Avenue, pretty much like sprawling American suburbia anywhere. South of Shaw it gets progressively worse save for a few nice pockets (Fig Garden, Tower District). The downtown is slowly improving, but still is something of an embarrassment for a city of a half million people. Its central location is something of a plus - from what other fairly large city can you get to three different national parks in 90 minutes to two hours? Basically though it suffers from being in a state with numerous beautiful coastal locations and interesting cities. Its not that its so horrible, its just the plain sister in a family of beauties.
Thanks! How bad is downtown? And the areas south of 180, I guess there's something like a Jefferson neighborhood? Also, Clovis is a decent one?

Old 07-27-2015, 06:50 PM

663 posts, read 1,550,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd005 View Post
The goal would be to be in a VERY safe neighborhood (suburbs are fine) with very good schools and hopefully not a crazy commute (~30 mins or so, perhaps?) to Fresno.
This is very possible in Fresno, depending on your budget. Best bets are 93720, 93730, 93619, and parts of 93611.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatica View Post
This is very possible in Fresno, depending on your budget. Best bets are 93720, 93730, 93619, and parts of 93611.
Thanks for the info! What suburbs of Fresno are typically considered upscale or wealthy?

Old 07-27-2015, 08:48 PM

3,055 posts, read 4,350,251 times
Fresno really doesn't have suburbs in the sense other cities do. With the exception of a few scattered farm towns nearby its basically Fresno and Clovis. You really can't tell when you pass from one to the other. Clovis Unified School District is quite good and the area it serves in Clovis and parts of Fresno are generally the better parts of the metro area. The best thing to do is get a good realtor and tell him/her that its important for you to be in Clovis Unified and they'll do the rest. TBH, Fresno really isn't any more crime ridden than many other large cities in California like Sacramento, San Francisco, Long Beach or Oakland (actually less so with that last one). If you stay to the north side of the metro area you for the most part will be in a fairly safe area. Wealthy areas of the north are places like Woodward Lake, Lake Van Ness and the San Joaquin River Bluffs (there are others).

Here's Clovis Unified's website:

http://www.cusd.com

Old 07-28-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Thanks for the info! Are the areas around Fresno State considered safe? I can see that it is just north of Shaw Ave...is that the real demarcation and is the neighborhood that the university is in, also a bit sketchy?

Old 07-28-2015, 10:31 PM

663 posts, read 1,550,605 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info! Are the areas around Fresno State considered safe? I can see that it is just north of Shaw Ave...is that the real demarcation and is the neighborhood that the university is in, also a bit sketchy?
Directly around the university (along Shaw, directly west of the campus) is iffy. I'd say staying north of Herndon is a better bet than Shaw, but there are some exceptions.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:56 AM

133 posts, read 198,219 times
If you insist on moving here, and I really can not stress enough how horrible/bad that choice is, then this is what you want. Move to Clovis! Once again you seem into S&M and want FresNO, so be North of Herndon and east of Cedar. Especially stay away from Fresno state, police helicopters are constantly in the air and in my backyard near the college, not to mention the constant robberies and other thefts near the college.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:01 AM

5,425 posts, read 3,278,164 times
Quote:
I keep reading a lot of bad things about crime, air quality, weather, and general QoL in Fresno. How bas is it really? Don't-ever-think-of-living-there kinda bad or just worse than rest of affluent CA? I hear it gets a lot of bad rep in terms of safety and general quality of life with a lot of gang activity.

If I had a good job in the city, moving from the East Coast...would it be worth it? The goal would be to be in a VERY safe neighborhood (suburbs are fine) with very good schools and hopefully not a crazy commute (~30 mins or so, perhaps?) to Fresno. Any suggestions/feedback?
Not among the best California cities,
Why not look
Into other cities. There are not expensive obscure cities here that are better? Unless you have a good job already lined up it would not be worth it. Fresno is ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California