Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 03:04 AM

3,886 posts, read 4,537,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
Is there a conceptual theme to this discussion? I looked back to see if it was about people here being afraid of Chinese people immigrating there, but that doesn't seem to be the theme.
Just wanted to know the nuts and bolts of the immigration situation is all. Didn't know about the business investment arrangement.
My husband came here from England cause we fell in love (for realz!) and he came over on K1 visa aka a "fiance visa", fees and all. He works in the computer field and we lots and lots of taxes for y'all!

BTW, I have no problem with more people being able to come here from around the world, but the legal ways to do so are a little disrespected at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Why are Chinese buying California real estate? | Redding Homes Blog

Okay so Chinese people aren't scrambling to buy up Redding according to reddinghomesblog...
Oh and by the way, I wish they would buy in Redding! That place seriously needs a makeover!

Old 08-10-2015, 06:51 AM

12,385 posts, read 8,141,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crouching_tiger View Post
Dem furrners taking all dem jobs hurr durr.

I think it is less the jobs then that the children of the current generation will never be able to afford to "buy" into a neighborhood near their childhood homes to the benefit of extended family units. And it seems once a critical mass of Chinese decide upon an area the real estate speculators offer cash to get their parents homes to sell to that influx of money from China

Old 08-10-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post

I think it is less the jobs then that the children of the current generation will never be able to afford to "buy" into a neighborhood near their childhood homes to the benefit of extended family units. And it seems once a critical mass of Chinese decide upon an area the real estate speculators offer cash to get their parents homes to sell to that influx of money from China
Well, yup you do have a point... that is the downside to a sudden influx of wealth coming in, and that could certainly create tension.
I mean... just 3 years ago we were looking to buy, but weren't quite ready yet. Took the time to pay some stuff off, while slowly trying save up, but now we're priced out as just about everything we looked at before is at least a grand more.
Oh well... putting more in retirement while still holding on to our still relatively affordable apartment in Orange county.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:47 PM

337 posts, read 405,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Well, yup you do have a point... that is the downside to a sudden influx of wealth coming in, and that could certainly create tension.
I mean... just 3 years ago we were looking to buy, but weren't quite ready yet. Took the time to pay some stuff off, while slowly trying save up, but now we're priced out as just about everything we looked at before is at least a grand more.
Oh well... putting more in retirement while still holding on to our still relatively affordable apartment in Orange county.
Yup, some mass expulsions may be in order.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:59 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,351,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Seems like a lot of those Chinese only create jobs for other Chinese, some of whom are here illegally. (Probably expired tourist visas.)

Some things give me hope though: Last week I was in a Ranch 99. The girl at the checkout had a very Hispanic name so I asked her if she spoke Chinese. She laughed and said "Spanish. I'm Mexican." Turns out that she is the first Hispanic that Ranch 99 had hired as a checkout girl. Personally, I believe they should have been hiring non-Asians from the beginning.
Ranch 99, or at least the ones I've been in, have had Latino cashiers for quite some time.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:10 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,351,037 times
Quote:
Chinese are very poor at assimilating; I have seen similar issues in other countries like Canada, UK, Germany, Switzerland etc.

On the other hand Indians assimilate really well into the countries they move into. The fact most already speak English fluently does not hurt. Maybe their ease in assimilating is partly because India itself is so ethnically and linguistically diverse unlike the monoethinic and monolinguistic Chinese. The Chinese simply are not used to being around people even slightly different than themselves.
Well, I'm Chinese and consider myself assimilated. It's like any other immigrant group - give it time and a generation and they'll assimilate. Not unlike Mexicans, Italians, Russians and the like. And I grew up in a mostly white area.

I think the level of assimilation of an immigrant group into a society may depend on the degree of how welcome they are in that country. For example, France has had a lot of difficulty with their North African/Magreb immigrant community in terms of integrating them into the mainstream of society.

Indians may have an advantage in that many come here with English fluency, but I've also heard lots of accusations that they are "clannish" (which to be fair, a lot of immigrants do that for mutual support). You'll also find variations in the level of "assimilation", depending on communities. I've found that the

The Chinese here aren't monolithic. There are several linguistic and provincial origin divisions within the so-called community, even within areas. For example, Chinatown in SF has traditionally been Cantonese-speaking, and traditionally populated by people from the Taishan (Toishan) area of Guangdong. Whereas in Silicon Valley, Mandarin is more preevalent, and the Chinese there tend to be relatively more educated, with advanced degrees.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Yup, some mass expulsions may be in order.
Of who?

Old 08-12-2015, 09:45 AM

531 posts, read 758,260 times
Quote:
Chinese are very poor at assimilating; I have seen similar issues in other countries like Canada, UK, Germany, Switzerland etc.

On the other hand Indians assimilate really well into the countries they move into. The fact most already speak English fluently does not hurt. Maybe their ease in assimilating is partly because India itself is so ethnically and linguistically diverse unlike the monoethinic and monolinguistic Chinese. The Chinese simply are not used to being around people even slightly different than themselves.
Comparing them with whom? Jews? French? Armish? Some can not change for over 1k+ years.

As to Californians, it was Indians here first, than came the self righteous brain washing Espanio Churches people who killed or brain wash everyone.
Now, we are all immigrants here.

As long as we can live here peacefully and happy together, there is no need acting like the Borg.

"We are the Borg. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile."

"We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."

We are the Californian. strip your clothes and surrender your bodies. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:43 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,748,685 times
Quote:
Any foreigner that comes over usually takes at least a generation to assimilate. Witness the second generation of Vietnamese that came over from the Vietnam war...

Maybe the Indians assimilated faster because the British Raj controlled India, Pakistan and Bangladesh from 1858 to 1947???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California