Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with SF/LA/SF-LA paradigm
agree 3 60.00%
disagree 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 06:37 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,831,732 times

Advertisements

admittedly an oversimplification, but could the history of California's two major metro areas be seen as the following:

San Francisco in ascent…throughout the 19th century and into the 20th, this was "The City"
Los Angeles in ascent….the rise through the 20th century to the nation's second largest city
San Francisco/Los Angeles parity: Silicon Valley spikes the Bay Area economy and it soars

So I'm suggesting that SF was in the beginning the major city, LA surpassed it, and today SF and LA are equals

(by San Francisco and Los Angeles, I am referring to the Bay Area and Metro LA respectively)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 10:50 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
LA Metro: Area: 34,000 sq.miles Population: 18.5 million
SF Metro: Area: 231 sq.miles Population: 4.6 million

SF has no room to expand, mostly due to geography. LA does.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:54 AM

807 posts, read 898,080 times
Considering that your statements are acknowledged as a gross oversimplification where we don't need to be precise, I would not disagree too much your characterization. Here are my conditions for agreeing:

Ascent, descent and equals at what exactly? Let me interpret this as a contest of popular reputation. That would mean that a little of everything that might matter in different amounts to different people and I'll take a very rough sum of the positive reputations of everything.

In addition as I see it the original Silicon Valley thing was technically not San Francisco. Its growth afterwards did eventually expand into SF proper though and going by your OP, I will replace any instance of "San Francisco" that you used with "San Francisco Bay Area including Silicon Valley." That means stretching out to include San Jose.

In some respects, I think that the SF Bay Area (including San Jose, Silicon Valley) handles more money in today's post-Recession than SoCal combined, but that they are indeed both in the same general global class at the very top.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:30 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post

The government artificially splits our two megacities. It splits the Bay Area into two where Santa Clara County joins Alameda and San Mateo Counties, and splits the LA/SoCal one into three where OC meets LA and where the IE meets LA and OC.

It's really a bunch of BS as we know there are no real boundaries (well, maybe psychological, for some but not all people).

Using the real world scheme and not the artificial government one the numbers for both are upped quite a bit. Of course, SoCal will still come out with a larger population even doing this my way.

The other thing I'd mention is the Bay Area is no more or less constrained for growth than SoCal - as anyone who's ever been stuck on either Altamont Pass or the 91 can attest. The real limit is pain of commute. There is some limit where only the most insane commuter would tolerate the distance / time.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:04 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,831,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post

nightly, i should have made it clear that i meant the entire bay area….silicon valley, san jose, and the rest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California