Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 04:49 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times

Advertisements

I know this is a rather obscure request, but I have only been through a few of these towns.
Still in the running for a job in North Merced. I like the idea of being close to the Merced, Tuolumne, or Stanslaus Rivers. I love the oaks and pasures It looks like all three river have great fishing and canoeing opportunities. Need a decent middle school and high school for the sprout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkanovbo-CU

This looked like a really nice float, if you can excuse the piano muzak. Tuolumne River.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3o_AROaY3w
A little more country, if that is your thing. Stanislaus River.

I know that Oakdale is pretty nice, but a long commute. What about Waterford, Knights Ferry, Hughson, La Grange, etc.?

Or would it just be better to live in Merced or Turlock and save this stuff for weekends?

Weigh in please.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 08-05-2015 at 05:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 10:22 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,028 times
Merced if you're a fisherman. Merced also has Lake Yosemite located next to the UC.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:56 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
I think we've touched on this before. If you have a job in Merced, live in Merced or Atwater (especially since you don't have kids in the school district if I'm remembering correctly). Might as well make it easy on yourself. As far as rivers and fishing goes you can get to numerous spots in the Sierra foothills in less than an hour (Lake McClure, Lake McSwain, Lake Don Pedro, New Melones Reservoir, the Merced River, Lake Yosemite, the Tuolumne River, etc...). If you ever get into white water rafting the Merced River From Cedar Lodge to Briceburg is one of the top places in the country and is only an hour from Merced. Not to mention you can be to Monterey in two hours for ocean fishing and other seaside recreation.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I think we've touched on this before. If you have a job in Merced, live in Merced or Atwater (especially since you don't have kids in the school district if I'm remembering correctly). Might as well make it easy on yourself. As far as rivers and fishing goes you can get to numerous spots in the Sierra foothills in less than an hour (Lake McClure, Lake McSwain, Lake Don Pedro, New Melones Reservoir, the Merced River, Lake Yosemite, the Tuolumne River, etc...). If you ever get into white water rafting the Merced River From Cedar Lodge to Briceburg is one of the top places in the country and is only an hour from Merced. Not to mention you can be to Monterey in two hours for ocean fishing and other seaside recreation.
I do have kids. That was another guy. I do recall your advice to live in Merced, but I am not sure what GoHawks ended up doing. Mariposa might be better for schools, but my wife might not be able to get work there.

No comments on Waterford? Seems like you really like Oakdale, which seems similar in geography at least.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
Merced if you're a fisherman. Merced also has Lake Yosemite located next to the UC.
Is there actually good fishing in that lake? It looks like a big cattle pond to me. If it's decent, that would be fun. I am not picky generally.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:48 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Is there actually good fishing in that lake? It looks like a big cattle pond to me. If it's decent, that would be fun. I am not picky generally.
There actually is very good fishing in Lake Yosemite. Like anywhere, a person needs to know where and when. Trout are planted during the winter and the bass fishing is very good.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:58 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I do have kids. That was another guy. I do recall your advice to live in Merced, but I am not sure what GoHawks ended up doing. Mariposa might be better for schools, but my wife might not be able to get work there.

No comments on Waterford? Seems like you really like Oakdale, which seems similar in geography at least.
I do like Oakdale, but its almost an hour from Merced. So's Mariposa. Both have good schools though.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
There actually is very good fishing in Lake Yosemite. Like anywhere, a person needs to know where and when. Trout are planted during the winter and the bass fishing is very good.
Well, that is good to know, it is right next to UC Merced. I wonder how many of the Type A researchers unwind by hurling bass plugs.

We used to do fairly well at an optimistically-named mud puddle called Lake Success near Porterville. We used to joke that the emphasis should be on the first syllable.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I do like Oakdale, but its almost an hour from Merced. So's Mariposa. Both have good schools though.
So, I take it you are firmly recommending Merced (or Turlock). I did notice I liked Turlock a bit better in terms of appearance, but North Merced has a new Middle School (Cruickshank) and High School (El Capitan) that look pretty modern.

Any recollection of the fog pockets for commutes in that area? Would Turlock to Merced be doable?

Old 08-06-2015, 06:51 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
One of our favorites for fishing & camping is Lake Camanche south shore.

Lake Camanche Recreation

We spent quite a few happy vacations there. We had most of our good luck taking the boat up the channel to the shallows. There are some bigg'uns in there....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California