Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 09:51 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times

Advertisements

Got real quiet, OP. Did you fill out your application for the state to pay to fix your car yet? I bet you did. That same state that demands you fix your car to stop pollution, and then pays you to do so?

Can't think why else you all of a sudden left the building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 09:53 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Got real quiet, OP. Did you fill out your application for the state to pay to fix your car yet? I bet you did. That same state that demands you fix your car to stop pollution, and then pays you to do so?

Can't think why else you all of a sudden left the building.
I think the thread didn't go quite as he had anticipated

Old 08-16-2015, 12:01 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,799,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
We don't have smog anymore and havent had for 20 years.

The smog is gone!
And the brown haze around downtown is what?

Old 08-16-2015, 07:04 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
And the brown haze around downtown is what?
Still better-if marginally-than the gray haze that used to prevent you from even SEEING downtown.

I'm on the fence re: smog checks and I feel that they may be of at least somewhat dubious validity. In some ways, I see where they may be a good thing. In others, not so much. I definitely think both sides of the argument (cleaner air or racketeering?) make some valid points.

Regardless of how one feels about this issue, one thing is definitely crystal clear (pun intended). If you want to live and drive in CA, you're going to have to pony up and pay....one way or another. I don't see any way of circumventing that unless you want to depend on Metro.

You can either A) buy and drive a nice new car. It will cost you in payments, insurance, and registration. But you have a modern, reliable vehicle and don't need to smog I think it's for the first five years.

or B) put your foot down and refuse to take on the expense of a new car and drive an old clunker from the 80's or 90's. You won't have to worry about payments. Both insurance and registration will be cheap. But then you'll still have to deal with the expense and hassle of smog checks, break downs and repairs, and the like. And good luck finding a date or anyone that doesn't laugh at you as you traipse around town in your primer gray and red (really pink since it's faded from the sun) '94 Civic.

So name your poison. It don't matter who or what you pay to. You want to drive? You're going to pay.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:12 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
I'm all for smog-checks.......can't pass it, get it fixed.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:09 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:

We have been fighting smog for 50 years and don't need to anymore. The smog is gone! All smog check is is a Democrat party tax on you and a hassel and aggervation for you.

And to keep it gone we need to keep jalopies and other poorly maintained cars off the road.

[]

Old 08-16-2015, 08:16 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Still better-if marginally-than the gray haze that used to prevent you from even SEEING downtown.
I'm on the fence re: smog checks and I feel that they may be of at least somewhat dubious validity. In some ways, I see where they may be a good thing. In others, not so much. I definitely think both sides of the argument (cleaner air or racketeering?) make some valid points.Regardless of how one feels about this issue, one thing is definitely crystal clear (pun intended). If you want to live and drive in CA, you're going to have to pony up and pay....one way or another. I don't see any way of circumventing that unless you want to depend on Metro. You can either A) buy and drive a nice new car. It will cost you in payments, insurance, and registration. But you have a modern, reliable vehicle and don't need to smog I think it's for the first five years. or B) put your foot down and refuse to take on the expense of a new car and drive an old clunker from the 80's or 90's. You won't have to worry about payments. Both insurance and registration will be cheap. But then you'll still have to deal with the expense and hassle of smog checks, break downs and repairs, and the like. And good luck finding a date or anyone that doesn't laugh at you as you traipse around town in your primer gray and red (really pink since it's faded from the sun) '94 Civic. So name your poison. It don't matter who or what you pay to. You want to drive? You're going to pay.
How is it cheaper to drive in other states? Gas here is a few cents higher in California, but about the same as in Reno due to the Washoe County 35 cent tax, registration is higher in NV and smog checks are required every year, not every two years as you do in California. Insurance is about the same as would be car payments. I just don't understand all the angst about prices in California, outside of real estate in some areas California is just not that expensive a place to live.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:29 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Now I have to go to a mechanic and pay probably $125 diagnostic and who knows how much to fix it, probably another $400 plus I already paid $50 to smog check.
I know idiot Democrats/Communists will all chime in Oh because of you we have smog. We don't have smog anymore and havent had for 20 years. Cars from about 1995 on are so much more cleaner than they were and newer cars are really clean.
We have been fighting smog for 50 years and don't need to anymore. The smog is gone! All smog check is is a Democrat party tax on you and a hassel and aggervation for you.
The EPA has to keep on regulating or their out of their cushy high paid job.
Democrats are always saying their for the little guy, could have fooled me.
The reason the smog is gone is thanks to the commie democrats forcing Everyone to have clean burning cars. Gads!

Old 08-16-2015, 10:13 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post

I'm on the fence re: smog checks and I feel that they may be of at least somewhat dubious validity. In some ways, I see where they may be a good thing. In others, not so much. I definitely think both sides of the argument (cleaner air or racketeering?) make some valid points.

Regardless of how one feels about this issue, one thing is definitely crystal clear (pun intended). If you want to live and drive in CA, you're going to have to pony up and pay....one way or another. I don't see any way of circumventing that unless you want to depend on Metro.

You can either A) buy and drive a nice new car. It will cost you in payments, insurance, and registration. But you have a modern, reliable vehicle and don't need to smog I think it's for the first five years.

or B) put your foot down and refuse to take on the expense of a new car and drive an old clunker from the 80's or 90's. You won't have to worry about payments. Both insurance and registration will be cheap. But then you'll still have to deal with the expense and hassle of smog checks, break downs and repairs, and the like. And good luck finding a date or anyone that doesn't laugh at you as you traipse around town in your primer gray and red (really pink since it's faded from the sun) '94 Civic.

So name your poison. It don't matter who or what you pay to. You want to drive? You're going to pay.
Or the OP could move to a county where you don't have to get your car smogged. I didn't realize there were such counties until I moved here to Del Norte County. Smog tests aren't required here. You have to get a car smogged when you buy it, or sell it, but in-between, no smog test required.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:22 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Or the OP could move to a county where you don't have to get your car smogged. I didn't realize there were such counties until I moved here to Del Norte County. Smog tests aren't required here. You have to get a car smogged when you buy it, or sell it, but in-between, no smog test required.
Same for Lassen County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: