Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 12:15 AM

2 posts, read 1,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
I thought this was interesting. I don't usually visit the California page often but I'm sharing this to wonder why it's ranked so low? Is it the COL factor or quality of life is some areas?

The 10 Best States To Make A Living In 2015 - In Photos: The 10 Best And Worst States To Make A Living In 2015 - Forbes
COL and it's cities aren't that nice. By cities I mean the actual buildings. The east has better cities with soul. Everything else though along the coast is leaps and bound above the rest of the nation. This list is probably not very useful. South Dakota and Connecticut were also bad places, and yet all the outrageous wall street money lives up in CT.

CA is still alive, but it ain't no easy place to live. You got to work hard to make it here. Many of the rich here have worked their arses off for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 12:22 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,068,751 times
Meh. If CA was so bad, why is it one the most popular states in the US.

Top Ten Most Popular U.S. States - TheTopTens.com

Not sure why so many people are the internet are complaining about CA. Oh yeah, it's the internet.

I don't see them leaving CA, and all I hear about is people weaning to move here. So even when crappy states off tax breaks to bribe families to move there, people still would rather stay and move to CA.

I'm in CA, and I love it here. Nevada is too hot, TX is too humid and too racist. I don't care if a state has no income tax. If it ain't CA, it ain't CA.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:37 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,389,194 times
DE..........high taxes WY..........no population less than 1 mil and no jobs and no towns high desert and very brown yeah.

TX wow that's a new one for the last 5 years and suffering badly because of low oil prices right now.

Old 08-22-2015, 03:09 PM

19 posts, read 60,449 times
California is still a paradise for me.

Old 08-22-2015, 03:26 PM

816 posts, read 960,024 times
The promise of high COL areas is that everyone goes there to make it big. There is a lot of potential in these areas. That alone explains the dichotomy of why everyone loves CA but finds it difficult to live here. And lets not forget the diverse culture, food, and the awesome weather. I love it here.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:11 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,633,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
And what's with the "quote of the day" you have to sit through to get to an article? I never got that one.
LOL! Yep...

Old 08-22-2015, 07:51 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,764,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
well not what was there 40 to 50 years ago when it was "paradise".
One would worry a bit about a populated place that has not evolved in half a century.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:35 PM

36,858 posts, read 17,214,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
One would worry a bit about a populated place that has not evolved in half a century.
It must be from the fact that I'm only a Gen X transplant from the heart of the rust belt but I can't figure out for the life of me how the older/2nd-3rd-etc generation Californians don't realize that the population boom was a direct result of...

A. How beautiful and opportunistic CA was and still is

B. The collapse of industry and farming in the Midwest and South in the 70s which sent droves of folks west.

It's almost as if they expected people living in Detroit or Buffalo to remain there once all the jobs dried up. For the love of God...it's freaking Buffalo!

There was a window where anyone who rolled out of bed could make it in CA. Not anymore. That's why people in the midwest started moving to Florida later on (90s to present). They got priced out of CA and in their minds Florida is a desirable substitute (I say it's hell on earth and laugh at the comparison but just my opinion).

Old 08-22-2015, 08:52 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,229,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Yes, I would worry that it would become what it is now. Wait it did.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:59 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,229,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It must be from the fact that I'm only a Gen X transplant from the heart of the rust belt but I can't figure out for the life of me how the older/2nd-3rd-etc generation Californians don't realize that the population boom was a direct result of...

A. How beautiful and opportunistic CA was and still is

B. The collapse of industry and farming in the Midwest and South in the 70s which sent droves of folks west.

It's almost as if they expected people living in Detroit or Buffalo to remain there once all the jobs dried up. For the love of God...it's freaking Buffalo!

There was a window where anyone who rolled out of bed could make it in CA. Not anymore. That's why people in the midwest started moving to Florida later on (90s to present). They got priced out of CA and in their minds Florida is a desirable substitute (I say it's hell on earth and laugh at the comparison but just my opinion).
To some extent this is true. The State is still beautiful and has opportunities, but not like it did. The pricing out also came about because of the loss of mfg jobs and similar; oh and illegals taking many jobs and depressing the wages in many service type jobs, including many that paid very well once. Now you better have a degree, etc or you will not be likely to make it and even then you may not. Many who grew up in CA have left. There are still more people leaving CA than moving in. For those who like it, great as I love the State but even though I can afford it, my wife ( a native of CA also) hates it now due to traffic, crowding and COL and she loves 4 seasons and green (Landscape). Oh, I also like FL and may move there one day. I can afford a nice home 1 block from the beach there and ... the ocean breezes mitigate the humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California