Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 06:55 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,033,072 times

Advertisements

You might want to try Sacramento. Craigslist as noted above is probably your best bet. California cities (except SF) are quite spread out, so without a car, get a job first then live closely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 12:38 AM

962 posts, read 630,469 times
The only places I can think of that cheap, are far inland places (like Sacramento, or perhaps Fresno), the far northern rural part of the state, where Chico and Redding are, or maybe the IE (Inland Empire, far suburbs of LA).

Other than that, I can only think of crime infested areas for cheap (and not many people want to take a risk like that just to avoid a high cost of living).

However, these places won't likely have nearly as nice weather as Los Angeles or San Francisco - inland areas in California average highs in the mid 90s F during summer (though with low humidity), and winters could have a few nights below freezing. These temperatures are greatly moderated by the coast.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:58 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,327,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibound4232 View Post
Thank you i will try that. Also some more information: i'm looking for a place for $1,000 a month max right now. i'm not really a beach person (i hate sand) so it doesn't matter to me if it's not near the coast. I lived in Nevada for a bit so the heat doesn't really bother me
Palm Springs is pretty affordable, and being a tourist destination, it would have good restaurants.

Also, I have to ask: If you don't care about the coast, don't mind the heat, and specialize in restaurant work, why aren't you looking at Vegas? That would be my choice!

Old 09-04-2015, 09:01 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,327,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
Other than that, I can only think of crime infested areas for cheap (and not many people want to take a risk like that just to avoid a high cost of living).
OP: Ignore this advice. This kid has never set foot in the state and is only reading statistics off the internet.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Hello i am planing to move to California i was wondering where would be the best place to move to that would be cheap. I don't care if it's a house or apartment just something cheap till i get a well paying job and save some money to move somewhere better. It doesn't matter what part of California the cheaper the better. I'd appreciate any advice.
Hardly think anyone can really advise you based on what you are telling us: Why are you planning on moving to California? What kind of work, and what do you mean, any part of the state? Don't you think visiting the state might be a better way to start. Good paying jobs are not always in the low income areas.

BTW: no car, you will never be able to find a decent restaurant job or any other job in an inexpensive area if you do not have a car. With rare exceptions most areas in CA do not have decent rapid transit. Of course the bay area does, bt your housing allowance will not make that a good bet; maybe Sac. they do have a decent bus system.Even then, Ca is very differenent from California.

Last edited by nmnita; 09-04-2015 at 10:57 AM..

Old 09-04-2015, 11:09 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,672,469 times
Quote:
Hello i am planing to move to California

Why? What attracts you to CA over other states/countries? CA is hugely diverse geographically, economically, politically, ethnically and by almost any other measure you can imagine.

i was wondering where would be the best place to move to that would be cheap. I don't care if it's a house or apartment just something cheap till i get a well paying job

These two goals are mutually exclusive. The areas with cheap housing have few employment opportunities and vice versa For just how big the contrast is, compare Modoc County to San Fransicso County. "Cheap" should not be your first criterion.

and save some money to move somewhere better. It doesn't matter what part of California the cheaper the better. I'd appreciate any advice.
You state elsewhere that you don't care about the beach because you "don't like sand." This statement alone shows that you haven't done sufficient research, since most of the oceanfront in CA is rocky and not like Malibu.

If your life goal is to live in CA, acquire a readily portable in-demand skill set (like dental hygienist or HVAC technician) and then look around for jobs. Meanwhile, use the internet to figure out what aspects of CA appeal to you. Best of luck! There are plenty of areas in CA that are wonderful places to live, but bring $$.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:35 AM

962 posts, read 630,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
OP: Ignore this advice. This kid has never set foot in the state and is only reading statistics off the internet.
I've never been there but I have distant family that lives there. I'm also 18 years old, not necessarily that young.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:46 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Quote:
I'm also 18 years old, not necessarily that young.
Aww, this is actually touching. I guess we all didn't think we were "that young" when we were 18.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:25 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,574,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Damn I always thought that poster was some middle aged guy with decades of experience living in CA. Didn't know he was a kid who has never been to CA Good to know

Old 09-04-2015, 03:07 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
Quote:
I've never been there but I have distant family that lives there. I'm also 18 years old, not necessarily that young.
I have distant family in Australia, I have never been there, and wouldn't be giving advice on what it is like to live there or even visit, although people I know who have gone love it.

But I wouldn't say what's it's like, because I have as much experience about Australia as you do about CA.

Sounds more like you're an 18 year old who wishes they lived in CA. So young to be so bitter.

Doesn't matter if you're 18 or 81, don't comment on subjects you have no experience in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California