Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 03:48 PM

18,965 posts, read 32,471,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
Most places closer than 75 miles from each other wouldn't usually have more than a 10-20F difference. So I'm guessing the ocean temperature where they were was cool.

San Diego, and a suburb, El Cajon, has a 10F difference regularly.
The Bay Area sees a more dramatic difference between inland and coastal temperatures, like you guessed the ocean is much cooler here than in Southern CA. 30 degree differences between the coast and inland valleys is pretty common throughout summer in the Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
BTW, I read in the paper this past week that El Nino typically means wet weather for SoCal, but dry weather for NorCal. NorCal residents may be disappointed if they're expecting drought relief.
That's really not true, it just that is more of a direct correlation between El Nino and above average rainfall for Southern CA compared to Northern CA.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:16 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,308,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Yesterday I indicated I thought the cut off low was caught up in the NWerly flow, but I was mistaken. That was just a piece of moisture from the cut off. In reality the cut off low is still there and strengthening. It may pull what's left of the TC's moisture into the state today through Sunday. Possibility of convection from the Bay Area south.

Meanwhile, sometime next week, the Polar Jet will come even further south. Cold fronts will brush the Bay Area possibly even tipping the bucket in the North Bay. That would be nice. I hope the (North Pacific / Gulf of Alaska) storm door opens early and stays open through March. I know we'll have to cope with flooding if that happens but that's the only thing capable of breaking the drought in earnest.
OK, here comes real mid latitude weather.

Today a combination of what's left of the cut off low, a short wave and a stationary front up north of the Bay Area will provide precip in many areas of the state. Then tomorrow and Wed, a cold front will sweep through, mainly hitting up north of the Golden Gate, while aforementioned blob of moisture remains over So Cal.

Looks like So Call has rain in the forecast for all three days M - W.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:00 PM

Autumn is here folks and the storm door is opening just a wee bit. The only question now is, will this rainy season be interrupted by multiple gaps lasting several weeks each (Rex Blocks) or will it be more orderly and consist of a short series of fronts alternating with 3 - 5 days of offshore, rinse, repeat? The latter is what we want, with some atmospheric rivers thrown in (sorry ahead of time for those who will incur problems due to flooding, sometimes you need to break a few eggs ... ). The following is for the Monterey CWA:

DISCUSSION...AS OF 10:00 AM PDT MONDAY... A SERIES OF VORTICITY MAXIMA WILL ROTATE THROUGH AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH THROUGH MIDWEEK. THE FIRST OF THESE VORT MAX IS APPROACHING THE AREA TODAY... WITH A CLEAR COLD FRONTAL BOUNDARY EVIDENT ON SATELLITE IMAGERY. AHEAD OF THIS FRONTAL BOUNDARY IS THE REMNANT ENERGY AND MOISTURE FROM A WEAK LOW THAT HAS BEEN QUASISTATIONARY OFFSHORE OF THE BAY AREA SINCE SATURDAY. THIS FEATURE HAS A DISTINCT MESO CIRCULATION IN THE MID LEVEL CLOUD DECK ON VISIBLE SATELLITE... AND A STRENGTHENING JET STREAK OVER THE SOUTHEASTERN SECTOR OF THE FEATURE. THE JET STREAK IS INTERACTING WITH THE AMPLE PREFRONTAL MOISTURE TO PRODUCE SOME CLOUD ENHANCEMENT INLAND... AND IS RESULTING IN LOWERING CLOUD BASES... SOUTHERLY WINDS... AND AREAS OF LIGHT RAIN/DRIZZLE ALONG THE SOUTHERN HALF OF THE FORECAST AREA. A STRAY LIGHTNING STRIKE WAS OBSERVED AROUND 830AM THIS MORNING AROUND 150 MILES OFFSHORE OF HEARST CASTLE/MORRO BAY. FORECAST UPDATE IS PENDING TO ADD A SLIGHT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS TO MONTEREY/SAN BENITO COUNTY FOR THE DAY... AS WELL AS SLIGHTLY EXPAND MENTION OF DRIZZLE NORTHWARD. THE FRONTAL SYSTEM/TROUGH WILL DESCEND INTO THE AREA LATER TODAY/TONIGHT... INCREASING PRECIPITATION CHANCES... ENHANCING ONSHORE FLOW... AND INTRODUCING A COOLER AIR MASS IN THE POST FRONTAL ENVIRONMENT. TEMPERATURES TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY ARE FORECAST TO BE A FEW TO SEVERAL DEGREES BELOW NORMAL. ANOTHER ROUND OF PRECIPITATION FOR THE NORTH BAY IS POSSIBLE ON WEDNESDAY AS A STRONGER VORT MAX SLIDES THROUGH THE BROADER TROUGH. HIGH PRESSURE WILL GRADUALLY BUILD IN BEHIND THE UPPER TROUGH FOR THURSDAY AND FRIDAY... LEADING TO A SLIGHT WARMING TREND THROUGH WEEKS END.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:03 AM

962 posts, read 626,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The Bay Area sees a more dramatic difference between inland and coastal temperatures, like you guessed the ocean is much cooler here than in Southern CA. 30 degree differences between the coast and inland valleys is pretty common throughout summer in the Bay Area.
Then I'm guessing that the ocean that borders California (and Washington, Oregon, British Columbia, and Alaska for that matter) actually WORKS in trying to keep things moderate. I'm probably guessing it's because the state gets almost no rain between June and September.

Florida, which has plenty of ocean, don't seem to have that big of a temperature difference in coastal vs. inland areas. Nor does the northeastern states, or even Chicago vs. its inland suburbs, and Chicago has Lake Michigan next to it.

Last edited by It is 57 below zero; 09-15-2015 at 01:22 AM..

Old 09-15-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
Then I'm guessing that the ocean that borders California (and Washington, Oregon, British Columbia, and Alaska for that matter) actually WORKS in trying to keep things moderate. I'm probably guessing it's because the state gets almost no rain between June and September.

Florida, which has plenty of ocean, don't seem to have that big of a temperature difference in coastal vs. inland areas. Nor does the northeastern states, or even Chicago vs. its inland suburbs, and Chicago has Lake Michigan next to it.
The cooler ocean leads to milder temps, probably part of the reason it doesn't rain much in summer either.

It's also topography, the coastal hills block a lot of the cooler air from reaching inland valleys in CA. I live in an inland valley in the East Bay part of the SF Bay Area and a lot of days during the summer I look westward and can see the bank of fog basically stopping at the top of the East Bay hills. Even in the city of SF the hills there can block the fog from invading from the western parts of the city which is why the eastern parts are sunnier and warmer overall.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:09 AM

Wettest day in two years in LA, looks like they're about 1000% of normal rainfall for the month now...

http://www.weather.com/news/news/los...urricane-linda

Old 09-15-2015, 04:47 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,702,163 times
Decent rainfall amounts in San Diego County during a span of 3 hours. Now it's downright sultry with a dew point of 72 Degrees. Thanks, Linda!

Old 09-16-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Decent rainfall amounts in San Diego County during a span of 3 hours. Now it's downright sultry with a dew point of 72 Degrees. Thanks, Linda!
Wow, even tipped a few buckets at the Western edge of The Desert. Pretty impressive (and those Desert spots got it good earlier this month when things were in Monsoon / Tropical Cyclone mode).

Old 09-16-2015, 03:49 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,758,661 times
Digging the nice breezy 75 degree weather today. Unfortunately it's supposed to be 100 degrees again on Sunday (in south San Jose, at least), so we're not out of the furnace yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California