Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 01:42 PM

21 posts, read 26,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD AI View Post
I moved to Redding two years ago with a young family (3 year old and 1 year old girls) from Huntington Beach, CA. I can tell you that the culture shock is real. People definitely live a different lifestyle here and the amount of poverty, drug use, dependency, and transiency is VERY apparent. There are a lot of negatives about this place and I can harp on them all day long.

But I won't. Because this place has A LOT of potential. This place is FULL of good people who want to change it for the better. People who want downtown to come alive again. People who want the crime and drugs driven out of this place. People who want good, wholesome family atmosphere in our parks and public places again. People who LOVE the outdoors and recreating. People who appreciate local small businesses and come together for one another. People who can (I won't say will) turn this place around.

For the time being, this places is working for my family. We are weekend warriors and the opportunities for camping, recreating, hiking, fishing and road-tripping are endless! Our girls have great, affordable access to swimming lessons, dance classes, sports, daycare, parks and there are good public schools. The Turtle Bay Adventure Park is a GODSEND as well as the Sundial Bridge and River Trail. Local organizations put on great family events and we have found that the trails around town are pretty Dog-Friendly as well.

All in all, the good things have out-weighed the bad since our move here. I imagine moving from Santa Barbara to Redding, you'll have higher-standards for how a town should function and develop. Come with those higher standards. Make your voice heard and maybe more people with higher standards will lead to actual higher standards for this town overall.

...that is my hope anyway. Let me know if you'd like to know more specifics about Redding and the surrounding areas... i.e. things to do, places to eat, the bad stuff, etc.

Thank you, I was finally able to find the post to read your reply. I'm new to this site, so haven't completely figured it out. Thank you again for the reply and input. It definitely helps to know that it is manageable. Its just so hard to up-root your family and take the leap of faith when you read so many negative things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 05:18 PM

78 posts, read 140,062 times
I have lived in Redding for almost 2 years. I have not found it to be friendly, and yes I have reached out. I did find a church that is friendly after attending many that were not welcoming. The homelessness, drugs, and crazies really stand out and they are all over Redding. A large city can absorb social issues, but Redding is a small city.

I have visited Chico several times to attend classes and the energy was a little more positive.

If it were not for my family living here I would choose to move.

Good Luck!!!

Old 10-08-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoToSTL View Post
I have lived in Redding for almost 2 years. I have not found it to be friendly, and yes I have reached out. I did find a church that is friendly after attending many that were not welcoming. The homelessness, drugs, and crazies really stand out and they are all over Redding. A large city can absorb social issues, but Redding is a small city.

I have visited Chico several times to attend classes and the energy was a little more positive.

If it were not for my family living here I would choose to move.

Good Luck!!!

Thank you! Its going to come down to just going and spending some time up there and seeing how we feel about it. I appreciate your time.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,653 times
There is 1 other thing about Redding someone should tell you. Though it seems to have a long historical pall about it (was known as "Poverty Bend" in its early founding days) that has lead to every negative thing people notice about it to this day (including a lot of truth), there ARE up-sides, and the best (in my opinion) is this: The public schools, especially of West Redding, are wonderful. Sequoia Middle School and Shasta High School are the BEST. Vast majority of their students are bright, talented, and drug free. The music programs that attract them are stellar. Sports are good too, but it's the Arts that shine on the west side. Teachers on all subjects are innovative, creative, kind, and more. ---My hubby & I will leave Redding as soon as we can to retire elsewhere, and never miss the city. But, not until our last baby has finished in these schools!~

Old 10-12-2015, 09:09 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,552,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Redding: The warm season lasts from June 15 to September 16 with an average daily high temperature above 89°F. The hottest day of the year is July 23, with an average high of 98°F and low of 68°F.

Chico: The warm season lasts from June 8 to September 24 with an average daily high temperature above 79°F. The hottest day of the year is July 13, with an average high of 88°F and low of 66°F.
According to Wikipedia, the average high temperatures in Chico in June, July, August and September are 88.7, 94.2, 93.7, and 89.7 respectively. Even in May and October, the average highs are above 79 - 81.3 and 79.4 respectively.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:47 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,845 times
Ok, report after week one. The heat is easy. It's what everyone posts about but it's not that bad. It's been in the 90s the last couple of days. It's nothing like mid 80s with a dew point near seventy. That's like a punch in the stomach. This is just pleasantly warm. Lots of homeless, but they seem to be in areas that can be avoided if that bugs you. Got all the stores you could want and a seemingly nice selection of neighborhoods. It's been better than I expected so far.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Ok, report after week one. The heat is easy. It's what everyone posts about but it's not that bad. It's been in the 90s the last couple of days. It's nothing like mid 80s with a dew point near seventy. That's like a punch in the stomach. This is just pleasantly warm. Lots of homeless, but they seem to be in areas that can be avoided if that bugs you. Got all the stores you could want and a seemingly nice selection of neighborhoods. It's been better than I expected so far.

That's good to hear. If you don't mind, if you could post an occasional update that would be great. If of course you have the time to do so. My husband is leaning towards Redding within the next year, I've been looking into Chico a bit more now that I feel I have all the information we could possibly have from the computer.

We will of course be taking a trip up to check out both, before moving.

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-14-2015, 12:23 PM

607 posts, read 602,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Wait until it's 105+ degrees for days and days in the summer. And the store thing--it has all the chain/huge corporate stores you could want...not much in the way of independent stores, no culture. It's just strip mall after strip mall.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:27 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Amen. And who cares about average temps? As I've said before, on a day when it's 117 degrees in Redding (oh yes, been there), you aren't thinking that the average is only 95 degrees, etc.

Also, keep in mind that it doesn't cool down at night.

I was someone who believed it wouldn't be that bad, etc. I lived there a year and thought I was going to die of the heat. It's relentless. Remember, this is mid-October and it's still in the 90's.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:31 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaNYC View Post
Wait until it's 105+ degrees for days and days in the summer. And the store thing--it has all the chain/huge corporate stores you could want...not much in the way of independent stores, no culture. It's just strip mall after strip mall.
OMG is it ever hot..I lived in the Mojave desert and it never felt as hot as Redding, the only place where I found the heat to be nearly as uncomfortable was Fresno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California