Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 03:42 PM

531 posts, read 758,114 times

Advertisements

Go for it, as long as there is no Tax, no Bonds, no Loans, no Votes... invloving CA residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 10:16 PM

807 posts, read 897,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
TSA has never been problematic to me....
But maybe your memory is worse than mine... Plaind did get kidnapped, and just a few weeks ago two marines stopped a terrorist on a high speed train.

Cross country on a high speed train is going to last a day, that is if it doesn't stop. And last but not least, most people do not live near a train station, and between the cities it aint busy on the roads.
The TSA has been problematic to a lot of non-terrorists, and they didn't even have to be problematic to be unpleasant. The idea that the law abiding citizens are the ones dutifully giving up some freedom of travel for security is an unfortunate one. I'm not unrealistic enough to claim that the TSA are wholly unnecessary but without a doubt those checkpoints serve as a barrier to free travel.

As for my memory being worse, I have to disagree and will counter that maybe it's just that your perspective is off. Let's leave aside that it was specifically an airman and an Oregon NG who managed to disarm the terrorist, with the airman taking the brunt of the injuries.

The terrorist on the train was one incident out of many tens of thousands of train trips on that route over 15 years. If we applied your standard for safety to, say, the 1995 Oklahoma bombing incident then Oklahoma City should have installed permanent police checkpoints at all of their major streets and freeways entering the city. The city example is absurd to us, why should a short L.A. to Vegas train ride be any different?

We're just talking about Los Angeles to Vegas so there's no relevance in bringing up the time it takes for a cross-country trip here. But running with your thought, I would take a HSR cross-country if it were available, maybe even going out of my way to lengthen the trip and spend a night or two in what is normally flyover country that I would've otherwise passed up. Sample the local food, maybe discover some foods and spices that I could resupply through the Internet after getting home. Walk around the town to see some museums and libraries, if the cities have enough planning capability and thought to turn those station towns into a walkable showcase for their communities and/or entire states.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:22 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,331,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveNotCommute View Post
The TSA has been problematic to a lot of non-terrorists, and they didn't even have to be problematic to be unpleasant. The idea that the law abiding citizens are the ones dutifully giving up some freedom of travel for security is an unfortunate one. I'm not unrealistic enough to claim that the TSA are wholly unnecessary but without a doubt those checkpoints serve as a barrier to free travel.
This.

It's no secret to any sane person that the TSA is an agency that was hastily thrown together as a knee jerk reaction to a one-time catastrophic incident. And now exists solely for show and to give the perceived illusion of safety; where their tactics are great for looks but serve little more than as a futile attempt to thwart an attack that has both already happened and could not possibly happen again. That is precisely the problem with American thinking in general: it's always reactive to the last incident and never forward thinking PRO-active. And no. I also don't believe for a second that restricting the concourses to ticketed passengers only, Billy club shakedowns, four hour check ins, and layer after layer of X-rays serve any practical, constructive purpose aside from political theater and enriching the corporations that designed and implemented those tactics. I'm not saying that we shouldn't have ANY security. But I don't believe that this onerous and pointless system we have is making us any safer either. 9/11 happened in spite of security, not because of it. The TSA is precisely the reason I don't fly anywhere anymore. It's just not worth the hassle or being treated as a would-be terrorist by default.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:58 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
This.

It's no secret to any sane person that the TSA is an agency that was hastily thrown together as a knee jerk reaction to a one-time catastrophic incident. And now exists solely for show and to give the perceived illusion of safety; where their tactics are great for looks but serve little more than as a futile attempt to thwart an attack that has both already happened and could not possibly happen again. That is precisely the problem with American thinking in general: it's always reactive to the last incident and never forward thinking PRO-active. And no. I also don't believe for a second that restricting the concourses to ticketed passengers only, Billy club shakedowns, four hour check ins, and layer after layer of X-rays serve any practical, constructive purpose aside from political theater and enriching the corporations that designed and implemented those tactics. I'm not saying that we shouldn't have ANY security. But I don't believe that this onerous and pointless system we have is making us any safer either. 9/11 happened in spite of security, not because of it. The TSA is precisely the reason I don't fly anywhere anymore. It's just not worth the hassle or being treated as a would-be terrorist by default.
Yep, I used to fly several times a year. Now it will be maybe 1 flight a year or less. In the last 6 years I have flown once (To Australia) , will once this year (Las Vegas) and maybe once next year (To Europe). The whole thing with the TSA and airlines making it harder and more expensive, like baggage charges, is a big turn off.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:53 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
This.

What a sad tale....Its really not a big deal.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:07 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,195,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
China, and Eastern Asian countries in general, has a lot and a lot of experience building trains and stations. No real issue here other than money and politics.

A HSR to Las Vegas is a great idea, but not crazy about that Victorville terminus. It should go down the hill (high-speed or not) all the way to at least Pomona (Metrolink connection) if not DTLA.
They should not even bother then. NOBODY in the LA area is going to drive to Victorville to take a train to Las Vegas.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:59 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Yes, they do have a lot of experience laying track and building stations, but what they don't have experience with is following with the strictest environmental, permitting, and land development laws on the planet. The lawyers will stop this dead in its tracks... har ... har, (pun not intended until I realized I had punned you all).
They also don't have the best quality steel, etc. Have people already forgotten the problems with the new Bay Bridge, the cheap bolts, etc.? Do you really want another Chinese-manufactured boondoggle? Lives and public safety depend on quality materials, people.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:42 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,195,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They also don't have the best quality steel, etc. Have people already forgotten the problems with the new Bay Bridge, the cheap bolts, etc.? Do you really want another Chinese-manufactured boondoggle? Lives and public safety depend on quality materials, people.
I sure don't! Put the money toward desalination plants, cleaning up Santa Susana Field Lab, and Salton Sea!!!

Old 09-25-2015, 12:52 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
I sure don't! Put the money toward desalination plants, cleaning up Santa Susana Field Lab, and Salton Sea!!!
Humm,

Wonder why they do not want to invest in the High Speed train the State wants?

Maybe they know it is a deep hole to throw money in with no chance of it ever paying its way?

Old 09-28-2015, 08:39 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Pretty sure China could build HS rail a lot cheaper than US can.

50,000 Chinese laborers working for $5.00 a day is much cheaper than 5,000 Americans working for $400 a day.

If you can't send work to China bring Chinese labor here. Cheaper and faster, It's the American way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California