Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 10:35 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,327,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
No matter the reason, if you can't pass this shockingly low-bar test, which tests grade school skills, you have no business -- none -- getting a high school diploma, or ever working in the medical, accounting, software, or industrial businesses, to name but a few. If you can't pass this test, you are barely qualified to ask, "do you want fries with that"?
Wait, you really think that a person can get any of those jobs with no more training than a high school diploma? Really??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 11:06 AM

53 posts, read 51,749 times
While suspending the test and giving out those extra diplomas does send the wrong message regarding education standards, the practical effect will be virtually nil. Any employer looking for qualified positions will be looking for at least a Bachelor's Degree anyway. If you only have a HS diploma you will likely be flipping burgers right alongside the dropouts.

Personally I think the exam needs to be made harder. It makes no sense having a HS exit exam that only tests middle-school level skills. Make it a true HS level exam with Calculus, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and all that fun stuff.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:06 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,506,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
80 percent of US tax payers pay less than I do.

Local School districts saved 40000 dollars a year.

85% of our schools revenue come from tuition, 10% from the diocese, 3% from Private endowments. 2% from grants most from private NGO's. Less than 1% of our schools operating budgets come from any kind of governmental agency grant.

99% of the kids who graduate the CHS my kids attended are CSU UC eligible, 95% went to four year colleges Local public highschools %? 21%.

College grad rate of CHS alumni? 75%

So yes your welcome.
Try to dodge his comment all you want with your own personal anecdote but looking at society as a whole singles and childless couples subsidize the ones who have children. Its just the way it is and we rarely gripe about it. So yes, "you're" welcome.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:10 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,660,669 times
Quote:
We'll believe you when you agree to undergo surgery performed by a high school dropout. And if you or your family get sick, please, request the woman who couldn't pass basic high school math, yet wants to care for infants in a hospital as a registered nurse.
Eh... if it's performed by a board certified neurosurgeon, I really don't care if s/he is a high school drop out. I would care much more what their MCAT Step1/step2 and board scores are.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:26 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,382,802 times
Quote:
From the LA Times:
California high school diploma: worthless. Behold Idiocracy in action.
Gets them votes though.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:36 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I'll go farther than that. I'll bet every single one of the people complaining about the suspension of the exit exam also complained about it's implementation. Really, it's not about logic and issues. That would involve study and research. It's only about scanning the news for what they can hate on Democrats today.
Sometimes I'm tempted to provide their anti-Democratic talking points for them. Because left to their own devices, they just suck at it. Like, really hard.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:41 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,382,802 times
Quote:
I'll go farther than that. I'll bet every single one of the people complaining about the suspension of the exit exam also complained about it's implementation. Really, it's not about logic and issues. That would involve study and research. It's only about scanning the news for what they can hate on Democrats today.
For some it is an indication of the substandard schooling and the impact immigrants are having and rather than fix it for the students, they lower the bar to below ground so it is easy as it were to step over it. Does the students no good at all. I did not see anything about Democrats. Did they vote against it?

Old 10-08-2015, 01:01 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,574,384 times
Quote:
Wait, you really think that a person can get any of those jobs with no more training than a high school diploma? Really??
That is not what was said. Or implied. Or can be inferred. A plain reading is this: a valid high school education, together with the basic skills it entails, should be the bare minimum before allowing one to proceed further with their education into any of these fields.

As was crystal clear from the recitation, basic skills are the foundation, the bare minimum, upon which to build additional learning necessary for today's global market, which is filled with talent from foreign countries who far, far surpass the United States in math and reading skills.

Finally, as I conclusively demonstrated, the California High School Exit Examination is a basic skills test with a shockingly low bar for passage, testing essentially grade 6 and grade 7 math skills with some basic algebra and geometry, and reading skills an eighth grader should possess.

It is beyond disgusting California, under this governor, now won't even enforce this frighteningly easy exit examination, which anyone with (a) a pulse and (b) rudimentary cognitive development should pass with flying colors.

Which is precisely the point, in response to your query: if you can't pass this shockingly low bar testing rudimentary math and reading skills an eighth grader could easily master, unquestionably you should not be receiving a high school diploma. Nor should you ever be permitted in a health care setting where people's lives are on the line -- I worked in a CCU, and I assure you math and reading are the sine qua non of the job.

The governor's action destroys even this laughably low bar. This, despite the fact California and federal taxpayers pump billions, and billions, and billions, and billions, and billions of dollars into public education (read: teacher unions). The 2014-2015 California public school spending budget: a whopping $76.6 billion dollars. Juxtapose this with the governor's action, where high school graduates are no longer required to pass a shockingly easy exit exam. It is an abomination of the highest order.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:15 PM

722 posts, read 1,327,477 times
Sounds like the way it used to be, all that was needed to graduate was have at least a C average and the minimum credits, as long as you attended classes, you would get your HS diploma.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:52 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,327,718 times
Quote:
That is not what was said. Or implied. Or can be inferred. A plain reading is this: a valid high school education, together with the basic skills it entails, should be the bare minimum before allowing one to proceed further with their education into any of these fields.

As was crystal clear from the recitation, basic skills are the foundation, the bare minimum, upon which to build additional learning necessary for today's global market, which is filled with talent from foreign countries who far, far surpass the United States in math and reading skills.

Finally, as I conclusively demonstrated, the California High School Exit Examination is a basic skills test with a shockingly low bar for passage, testing essentially grade 6 and grade 7 math skills with some basic algebra and geometry, and reading skills an eighth grader should possess.

It is beyond disgusting California, under this governor, now won't even enforce this frighteningly easy exit examination, which anyone with (a) a pulse and (b) rudimentary cognitive development should pass with flying colors.

Which is precisely the point, in response to your query: if you can't pass this shockingly low bar testing rudimentary math and reading skills an eighth grader could easily master, unquestionably you should not be receiving a high school diploma. Nor should you ever be permitted in a health care setting where people's lives are on the line -- I worked in a CCU, and I assure you math and reading are the sine qua non of the job.

The governor's action destroys even this laughably low bar. This, despite the fact California and federal taxpayers pump billions, and billions, and billions, and billions, and billions of dollars into public education (read: teacher unions). The 2014-2015 California public school spending budget: a whopping $76.6 billion dollars. Juxtapose this with the governor's action, where high school graduates are no longer required to pass a shockingly easy exit exam. It is an abomination of the highest order.
Mark Twain, Henry Ford, John D Rockefeller, Abraham Lincoln, and--here's the best one--Albert Einstein. All either high school drop-outs or had little formal education.

You won't find many people who claim they were only capable of serving French fries and flipping burgers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California