Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 03:31 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Yes, now and for quite some time as well. We shouldn't need voter registration drives and and the general election should be held on Saturdays. Voter participation is dismal in the US.. And conservatives love it this way...
So if we do away with voter registration and you fight against any form of voter ID whatsoever how do you think we're supposed to secure our elections? How do we prevent illegal aliens from voting in our elections?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 05:34 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Not so sure about this. Since moving to CA over the past 6 years I have received voters ballads in the mail that had my address but someone else's name. It appears that the CA voting system is rife with fraud...if this sort of thing is happening.
The issue has been studied time and time again. The "problem" is false... negligible at most.

Here's another article/study on this.

The 'Myth' of Voter Fraud - US News A handful of fraudulent ballots does not make a problem.

and another...

The Voter-Fraud Myth - The New Yorker

and another...The Myth of Voter Fraud

...and another..5 myths about voter fraud, early voting

...but my guess is that you may not believe facts, science, or research anyway, so me posting information/links may just be a waste of time. Voter suppression, however is real and well documented---like what tends to happen in the South..where black people/and or minorities (who generally vote Democrat) have found incredibly difficult to cast a ballot.

Harvard's Alexandar Keyssar analyzes voter suppression measures | Harvard Magazine
Voter Suppression: Old Strategy, Modern Tactics : Discovery News

Old 10-15-2015, 07:26 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
The issue has been studied time and time again. The "problem" is false... negligible at most.
Do those studies take into account all the people who received voter ballads at their address that don't belong to them..basically giving them the ability to extra vote if they wanted to do so?

I have serious doubts that I am the only person in this state who has encountered this.

On the last presidential election I received two ballads that did not belong to me...mailed directly to my address.

Sure those studies are believable and rock solid

Old 10-15-2015, 07:28 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
So if we do away with voter registration and you fight against any form of voter ID whatsoever how do you think we're supposed to secure our elections? How do we prevent illegal aliens from voting in our elections?
We can't.

I moved here from a state that required you to show ID before voting. Makes total sense to me, otherwise you have no idea who is really voting or how many times they have voted in the same election.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_..._United_States

Old 10-15-2015, 11:58 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Quote:
I'm not totally against voter ID. I'm just against the type of voter ID pushed by conservatives to suppress votes. Only people with an agenda support limiting voter participation...

Old 10-16-2015, 12:04 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Not so sure about this. Since moving to CA over the past 6 years I have received voters ballads in the mail that had my address but someone else's name. It appears that the CA voting system is rife with fraud...if this sort of thing is happening.
What you are describing happened because the voter(s) who moved from the address didn't update their address with the registrar of voting, have you tried notifying them of the mistake? How does that make the voting system "rife with fraud"?

Old 10-16-2015, 12:11 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
States can no longer require a person to show proof of citizenship in order to vote in a federal election. The Supreme Court just refused to hear an appellate court decision that refused to allow several states to require proof of citizenship, So tell me now why we still need Voter ID's since requiring proof of citizenship to get the ID is now off the table for good?

Old 10-16-2015, 12:12 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What you are describing happened because the voter(s) who moved from the address didn't update their address with the registrar of voting, have you tried notifying them of the mistake? How does that make the voting system "rife with fraud"?
It doesn't. That poster is just being melodramatic.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:32 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Quote:
We can't.

I moved here from a state that required you to show ID before voting. Makes total sense to me, otherwise you have no idea who is really voting or how many times they have voted in the same election.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_..._United_States
I'm guessing that you still don't believe in research from MANY sources then? You're drawing a hypothesis based on some very old or even dead woman's ballot that turns up in your mailbox. You fail to understand that it's insignificant.

It's like mindset of the anti- vaccination folk--- it's bogus and unsubstantiated except in the most rare of cases. There's lots of paranoia and a lack of interest or belief in hundreds of studies that prove these people otherwise.

So. Did you try and send off this person's ballot to add a vote for your candidate? Did you go through all the trouble and do the morally perverse thing and sign/date her name and use two stamps to send it off? I've moved around California a lot and have NEVER encountered some stranger's ballot. If I did, I'd toss it. Just like if I found a wallet with large sum of $, I'd turn it in to police. Just curious what you did with it.

You must think Americans are a lazy bunch and don't have jobs to go to since you'd believe some illegal is standing in line at different polling places, all over town, all day long , over and over so he could count as a few more votes for his candidate. Pure fantasy and plain silliness.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:52 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I'm not totally against voter ID. I'm just against the type of voter ID pushed by conservatives to suppress votes. Only people with an agenda support limiting voter participation...
Free ID so people can vote doesn't suppress anyone. Everything in life requires ID. Other rights require ID, I don't see you or others getting worked up about that suppression.

Voter fraud is real, I see it all the time in my line of work. People registered to vote under different names, registered in districts they don't live, registered when they are not citizens, etc.

I could go register under a few different names by changing how I spell my name, using no middle name, middle initial instead of middle name, abbreviate first name, add a jr or sr, etc, the only thing stopping people from doing this is themselves.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California