Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 01:18 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
But the push to make the state greener is creating an unintended side effect: It is making some people meaner.

The bad moods stem from the challenges drivers face finding recharging spots for their battery-powered cars. Unlike gas stations, charging stations are not yet in great supply, and that has led to sharp-elbowed competition. Electric-vehicle owners are unplugging one another’s cars, trading insults, and creating black markets and side deals to trade spots in corporate parking lots. The too-few-outlets problem is a familiar one in crowded cafes and airports, where people want to charge their phones or laptops. But the need can be more acute with cars — will their owners have enough juice to make it home? — and manners often go out the window.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/11/sc...smtyp=cur&_r=2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 09:38 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,426,948 times
Democrats advertise to do your laundry in the evening to save electricity and they want to charge millions of cars?

Old 10-13-2015, 05:00 PM

943 posts, read 1,320,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Democrats advertise to do your laundry in the evening to save electricity and they want to charge millions of cars?
"Democrats"?

Old 10-13-2015, 05:14 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
"Democrats"?
They are the party in charge right now. so ................. .

Electric cars cost less to run per mile, about twice as efficient as to cost in CA, but also need more frequent charging which is a real problem for a trip of any length, but for local commuting they have advantages. Hybrids help in this area. However with enough of them, gas taxes will go up a LOT to make up for the loss for road repair as after all they still use the roads, but if the cost of gas goes up, full electric cars will be using (and wearing out) the roads for free as they don't buy gas. Then a new law will be passed, reducing the savings.

Last edited by expatCA; 10-13-2015 at 05:23 PM..

Old 10-13-2015, 05:38 PM

943 posts, read 1,320,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
They are the party in charge right now. so ................. .

Electric cars cost less to run per mile, about twice as efficient as to cost in CA, but also need more frequent charging which is a real problem for a trip of any length, but for local commuting they have advantages. Hybrids help in this area. However with enough of them, gas taxes will go up a LOT to make up for the loss for road repair as after all they still use the roads, but if the cost of gas goes up, full electric cars will be using (and wearing out) the roads for free as they don't buy gas. Then a new law will be passed, reducing the savings.
The point is that it wasn't politicians of either party who was telling us to do the laundry in the evening. It was the electric company, e.g. PG&E.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:44 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Electric cars work really well for people like me who have short commutes and live places where electricity is cheap ($0.11 per kWh). I get between 95-115 miles on a charge but only drive 20-35 miles a day, so "topping off" in the garage at home every couple days makes sense. My car has a charge setting that would allow me to charge it only when the rates drop at night (except we don't have that tier pricing here).

People who can't charge at home or who have a commute that exceeds their range are not really a good target market for electric vehicles at this point. In a few years the range for the average electric car should be a little higher (the Chevy Bolt, supposedly coming out in late 2017/early 2018, should be around 200-250 miles on a charge) and then electric cars start to make sense for more people.

The article also seems to imply that all charging stations are free - that isn't at all true. Sure, for certain people in certain locations (Nissan Leaf owners at a Nissan dealership, Tesla owners at a Tesla Supercharging stations, employees at a business that chooses to provide free charging). Other stations cost to charge and they charge a rate that is 5-50x more than the going electric rate, which is why I choose to charge at home.

The other thing the article misses is that there are three different charging standards - Tesla, CHAdeMo (Nissan, Kia, Mitsubishi), SAE J1772 (Chevrolet, Toyota, BMW, VW/Audi/Porsche). Not all charging stations in all areas have compatible plugs or charging schemes. There are also different stages of charging: L1, L2 and L3 (aka DC fast charge, which, since it uses a 480V supply, is not for home use). Those are mostly different plugs, too, which work with some cars but not others. Once the mfrs get their respective acts together and pick a standard some of the station crunch may ease.

Some of the other problems - people tend to use charging spots (ie: spots right in front of the charging station where the cord can reach) as parking spots, even people with electric cars. If you got your car quite a while back before they were quite so common, that wasn't an issue. In some areas, where there are a lot of people waiting for a station, it is now. It's the equivalent of parking in front of a gas pump at a gas station.

Some of the cars use different indicator systems - on my car, a solid green light means it is charging. On a Leaf, a solid green light means charging is done. So a Leaf owner might get annoyed with me for leaving a "charged" car parked when it isn't actually charged yet. When my car is charged the light does a slow blink (which seems backward to me, too, but I am not an engineer at Chevrolet, lol).

Old 10-13-2015, 06:47 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
Build your self a generator or buy one and be done with it.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:29 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
The point is that it wasn't politicians of either party who was telling us to do the laundry in the evening. It was the electric company, e.g. PG&E.
That is because rates are lower at night, so it is the "best" time to charge. Unless you are low on power and need to get home, then ......

Old 10-14-2015, 05:36 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Rofl. This is hilarious.

Bottom line: Humans are dicks.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:01 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
My wife and I just got our first electric car, we will charge only in the evening at home. I would never own an electric car where I had to depend on outside charging stations unless they were dedicated to me or just a few others (like at work).

Electric makes sense because of the reduced costs with the 10k worth of tax incentives. Basically I was able to lease a VW electric golf with 12k miles for $140 a month, which is what I would have paid for gas and bridge toll at $5 instead of $2.50 every month. If the government wasn't giving me others people money to have an electric car I would not own one. They are overpriced and far to many draw backs for their 30k+ price tag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California