U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer Overall?
Sacramento,CA 34 47.22%
Long Beach, CA 37 51.39%
Long Beach can surpass Sacramento in population 4 5.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 08:23 AM

100 posts, read 161,666 times

Advertisements

Which city do your prefer to Live, Visit, and prefer overall?

Criteria:
Food
Parks
Natural scenery
Crime
Diversity
Future Projects/Development
Cost of Living
-(Closer to L.A. and O.C. or closer to the Bay area?) or proximity to the beach or closer to the sierra Neveda (Lake Tahoe)
Population growth - Which is growing faster and will Long Beach surpass Sacramento in the future?
Education
Downtown cores
- (Vibes) * Downtown size for population
Public Transit

Sacramento is one of most underrated cities in California oftenly overlooked by Los Angeles, San Jose, San Diego, San Francisco.

Long Beach And Sacramento are both Very Diverse cities.

Sacramento population : 479,686 (2013)
Long Beach Population : 469,428 (2013)

^^ If anyone has the latest population estimates go ahead and post it.

Population is very close actually. Not sure wich city has a bigger growth rate right now but can Long Beach surpass Sacramento soon in population?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 09:39 AM

Default Downtown and areas Of both cities

Long Beach:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Long_Beach.jpg

https://cdn.evbuc.com/eventlogos/215...ngbeachcvb.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...A_at_night.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...1n_wmi-vzqISZK

Sacramento :

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._(cropped).jpg

https://www.edf.org/cdn/farfuture/_R...ia_718x219.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._(cropped).jpg

http://www.rantlifestyle.com/wp-cont...2014/05/01.jpg

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-13-2015 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: copyright violations

Old 10-13-2015, 05:37 PM

4,327 posts, read 992,204 times
I'll go with Sacramento, but I'm biased.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInCA View Post
I'll go with Sacramento, but I'm biased.
Criteria opinion???

I Honestly think this is good comparison. Both are arguably very diverse and population of both very close. Both have good downtown for their size. Long beach is overlooked by Los Angeles, Orange county, and even Santa Monica. Sacramento is overlooked by the Bay Area. I was expecting more responses but I guess people haven't been to either cities.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:09 AM

2 posts, read 5,850 times
long beach for sure! because its on LA County! were there's a lot more to offer, shopping, beaches,scenic drives, mountains nearby...

Old 10-14-2015, 11:23 AM

4,327 posts, read 992,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ™WestCoast Reppin™ View Post
Criteria opinion???

I Honestly think this is good comparison. Both are arguably very diverse and population of both very close. Both have good downtown for their size. Long beach is overlooked by Los Angeles, Orange county, and even Santa Monica. Sacramento is overlooked by the Bay Area. I was expecting more responses but I guess people haven't been to either cities.
Honestly, I haven't spent much time in Long Beach, but I am a Sacramento native. There is a good food/bar scene in Midtown, lower COL goes to Sacramento I'm sure, natural scenery can be found in both places, you have many options in Sac: the city itself, or take a short trip to Tahoe, SF, Wine Country, etc. Both cities have high diversity and areas of high crime too.

Last edited by JayInCA; 10-14-2015 at 11:42 AM..

Old 10-17-2015, 09:36 AM

23,601 posts, read 32,760,547 times
I grew up in Newport Beach and have been to Long Beach many times and spent time there. My last 20 years in CA were spent in Sacramento. The ocean is a big advantage for Long Beach but as a place to live I do prefer Sacramento. It had everything we needed and history and proximities already mentioned are plusses as is the nearness to Gold Country in the foothills. Bodega Bay and Fort Bragg gave us the ocean, a break from the city and were handily close as were more northern oceanfront cities and towns, not to mention the redwoods. However, Sacramento can have its summer heat!

Old 10-17-2015, 07:11 PM

5,239 posts, read 5,556,589 times
Sacramento summers in the late evenings, nights, and mornings till just after noon are very comfortable. The actual average summer mornings temps are 58-62F which is even cooler than the southern Cal pacific coast.

Both southern and northern Cal coastal folks don't realize how far north Sacramento is and how much colder the marine layer is up north. It's cool enough and strong enough to make a dramatic difference in cooling Sacramento especially because of a gap in the coastal mountain range known as the Sacramento Delta which allows the colder NorCal coastal wind, and low clouds to penetrate much further inland than it does in Southern Cal.

During the summer, On average From 6am to 1pm, Sacramento is has cool as the southern Cal coast. It's during the late afternoon that Sacramento has Pasadena or Riverside type high temps.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:27 PM

1,826 posts, read 1,335,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Sacramento summers in the late evenings, nights, and mornings till just after noon are very comfortable. The actual average summer mornings temps are 58-62F which is even cooler than the southern Cal pacific coast.

Both southern and northern Cal coastal folks don't realize how far north Sacramento is and how much colder the marine layer is up north. It's cool enough and strong enough to make a dramatic difference in cooling Sacramento especially because of a gap in the coastal mountain range known as the Sacramento Delta which allows the colder NorCal coastal wind, and low clouds to penetrate much further inland than it does in Southern Cal.

During the summer, On average From 6am to 1pm, Sacramento is has cool as the southern Cal coast. It's during the late afternoon that Sacramento has Pasadena or Riverside type high temps.
not when I was there. It was pretty unbearable most of the day.

not even sure you can compare it to socal.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:29 PM

5,239 posts, read 5,556,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl6969 View Post
not when I was there. It was pretty unbearable most of the day.

not even sure you can compare it to socal.
Yes, you can compare it SoCal, I've lived in both places, Sacramento summer weather is very similar to the San Fernando and San Gabriel Valleys, Riverside, and 15-20 degrees on average COOLER than Palm Springs.

Have you ever been to Austin, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Fresno, Bakersfield all of Florida, Texas, much of the humid eastern seaboard, much of the midwest; they are all hotter and much more uncomfortable than Sacramento.

Summer is hot and uncomfortable in like 80-90% of the USA's major metro's, Sacramento is more comfortable than most of them, no, it's is not overall mild or cool like coastal California.

Certainly more often than not, you can count on cool and comfortable Sacramento mornings which is rare in most of the USA in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or