Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 09:25 AM

3,162 posts, read 2,212,781 times

Advertisements

I moved out of California in 1997 and since then have lived in Austin, TX and Atlanta. Both areas have a lot to offer in terms of amenities and career opportunities, and have enabled me to get far ahead financially compared to Orange County. There is certainly a wider temperature range plus more precipitation and severe weather outside California, but plenty of nice conditions as well such as this time of year. Austin probably has more overall similarity to California in general, with the somewhat drier climate and high tech industry connections with the west coast.

Atlanta draws people from all over the nation and world, although probably more from elsewhere in the East Coast and South than anywhere else, so California migrants draw little attention here, compared to what I've heard is the case in western states where they make up a higher proportion of the newcomers.

I like Florida as a place to visit, but the lower income levels relative to cost of living, crowding in the southeast section, flat terrain, susceptibility to hurricanes and more persistently hot humid conditions are some of the less desirable features. I think for working age transplants from California, Atlanta or similar areas like Nashville or Raleigh-Durham would tend to be better choices within this part of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 09:33 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
I left Social where I was born and raised for NorCal where I lived for 20 years for the Ozarks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
You can move to some other states for "four distinct seasons"... but you are really just choosing to not live in one of the most desirable areas in the world for somewhere that's just mundane.
What's desirable and what's mundane are both simply matters of opinion and mine differs from yours considerably. Have you traveled much and lived other places? I have so I also have a basis for my opinions concerning places to live. Every other place I've lived has had its good points and its not so good points, just like California. California has a lot going for it but for some it's not the Nirvana for some it is to others. It's just that simple.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:44 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosted View Post
Spot on. I lived in north palm beach and port st lucie. There was so much crime in west Palm beach and we were hit by 4 hurricanes from 2004-2005. At one point we were out of power for one month when we got hit by 2 major hurricanes back to back. Never ate so many MREs in my life. Never again.

I will stick to California. Lots of pros and cons but the pros out weigh the cons by a huge margin in my opinion. You gotta go where you're most happy.
I visited and passed by Port St. Lucie, Digital Domain was a big deal there but that did not last long at all much like a lot of STEM work that went poof or was severly over hyped, subsidized by the public and never reached or created jobs that were promised. Biotech is one of those.

South Florida is over hyped as a great alternative to CA for many, while it has nothing in common besides palm trees, sand/beach and a large % of Spanish speakers. The weather in the winter though is nice and like CA, low humidity and not much rain.

The biggest thing is cost of living, many think Miami is cheap when in reality it's not unless you want to live in the bad parts of town. I know plenty of people like myself who left moved to SF, Seattle or Boston and work in Tech and who are much happier, none of which complain about the cold or lack of what South Florida offers, for many the ends did not justify the means nor was it a place to have a great career or much options. Some still stayed put and are doing okay, but many think it won't last too much longer.

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflor...t-do-much.html

Old 10-18-2015, 11:10 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
I visited and passed by Port St. Lucie, Digital Domain was a big deal there but that did not last long at all much like a lot of STEM work that went poof or was severly over hyped, subsidized by the public and never reached or created jobs that were promised. Biotech is one of those.

South Florida is over hyped as a great alternative to CA for many, while it has nothing in common besides palm trees, sand/beach and a large % of Spanish speakers. The weather in the winter though is nice and like CA, low humidity and not much rain.

The biggest thing is cost of living, many think Miami is cheap when in reality it's not unless you want to live in the bad parts of town. I know plenty of people like myself who left moved to SF, Seattle or Boston and work in Tech and who are much happier, none of which complain about the cold or lack of what South Florida offers, for many the ends did not justify the means nor was it a place to have a great career or much options. Some still stayed put and are doing okay, but many think it won't last too much longer.

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflor...t-do-much.html
FL is nice in the winter from Dec(even in Nov it can be in the 90s and HUMID) till March, and that's about it.

The rest of time you're a prisoner of A/C, than there are the people. The rudeness you see in the stores and restaurants(mostly transplants), the reckless driving, and just in general a lower class of human being than you find in other places.

FL attracts a lot of trashy types.

It's not an alternative at all for Southern CA. I agree with you on the palm trees and Spanish speakers, but that's where it ends. And even the palm trees aren't as nice or as plentiful like you see in CA.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:15 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason2112 View Post
They don't get that not everyone wants to bring California with them.
I think they get it. What the Californians leaving don't get (at least a lot of them) is that they do bring those California attitudes, values, & expectations with them--even if they don't think they're doing that.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:16 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
FL is nice in the winter from Dec(even in Nov it can be in the 90s and HUMID) till March, and that's about it.

The rest of time you're a prisoner of A/C, than there are the people. The rudeness you see in the stores and restaurants(mostly transplants), the reckless driving, and just in general a lower class of human being than you find in other places.

FL attracts a lot of trashy types.

It's not an alternative at all for Southern CA. I agree with you on the palm trees and Spanish speakers, but that's where it ends. And even the palm trees aren't as nice or as plentiful like you see in CA.
I know, I lived in Miami for 12 years but compared to other parts of the state, the SE coast has better weather, try going to Tampa or Orlando mid-summer and you will see sweat like never before.

The rudeness and drivers is mainly due to a mix of NE transplants, mainly from the Tri-State Area and those from the Caribbean, Haitians and a mix of others who cannot drive or do not even have car insurance.

Can't really agree on the palm trees, as I saw more in Miami than LA or San Diego and much more varieties and tropical palms, Coconut Palms. I had a lot of tropical plants and trees around my apartment, date palms, coconut and royals. Lot's of lizards, some native and non-native species, the fauna and animal life was great, bugs not so much ,fire ants, crazy ants and roaches are bad and I had to treat at my own expense often.

Problem with Florida and mainly South Florida, is the belief that no state income tax = cheap place to live, maybe it was a long time ago, but not anymore. #1 industry is hospitality, with that comes low paying jobs which is followed by more low paying jobs in retail and restaurants and other service jobs. For some who work in the lucrative industries like Medical make out fine, Tech and other industries that you see in CA, not so much as it's limited and there is little competition to pay higher wages like in SV.

Crime is bad even in some affluent areas due to the proximity near high crime areas, a lot of fraud is prevalent, I had my debit and credit cards skimmed at least 2-3 times a year, gas pumps are rigged with skimmers and ATMs as well, and there is a crime ring that pulls in a lot of people in the food/retail industry that are making peanuts to earn more money by skimming customers credit/debit cards which is why I started paying cash for everything the last few years I lived in Miami, it just got so bad, could not trust anyone.

I hear now that Flakka is a big problem, a lot of people wacked out on it walking around. Bath salts are old news. Seeing the trash that is prevalent, it's just more of problem.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:34 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,648,971 times
here is an interesting interactive migration map….American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes
2010 rather dated

Last edited by sourdough; 10-18-2015 at 01:46 PM..

Old 10-18-2015, 02:06 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I wouldn't be sorry either. Seattle is awesome in ways LA is not (LA is great to visit though).
But LA has A/C everywhere. Seattle doesn't have it anywhere, and it was the hottest summer on record, in the 90's in June, already, with water rationing. Seems he jumped out of the frying pan into the fire, in that regard.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:08 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Why, what a dumb question, Democrat party total control thats why!
Such an interesting comment for a state that elected Reagan as guv twice, helped elect him, and Nixon, to the Presidency, and voted Arnie in twice.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:03 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Such an interesting comment for a state that elected Reagan as guv twice, helped elect him, and Nixon, to the Presidency, and voted Arnie in twice.
Well CA was in better shape under Reagan and Nixon so your point is?

Now Arnie was simply the best alternative due to the Democrat candidate being so much worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California