Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 06:31 PM

112 posts, read 130,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Pretty much any of the Central Valley towns/cities will fit the bill. You might want to consider Merced. Its a smaller city (85,000 people), but big enough to have what you need. There is a community college there (got my first two years in there) and there is a new University of California on the north side of town if you want to continue on. The city also have a very extensive bike path system. In addition to dedicated paths most streets have a wide marked path on the shoulder. Plus its flat and easy to bike in. Rents are about as cheap as you find in the state in the San Joaquin Valley. People are friendly too - definitely small town vibe.

Merced Community College District - (209) 384-6000
https://www.cityofmerced.org/depts/p...s_n_trails.asp
UC Merced
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merced,_California
Merced does have quite a low median rent, which is good. The median rent is 800 per month. Other cities nearby, north of Merced with a median of less than 1000 rent are: Turlock (949) , Keyes (919) , Ceres (912) , Denair (869) , Modesto (997) , Stockton (946) and Sacramento (990) . Keyes and Ceres are between Turlock and Modesto, Denair is east of Turlock. On the other end it's more expensive than ever to live in Del Rio, near Riverbank, north of Modesto. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Yac; 11-09-2020 at 01:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 06:41 PM

112 posts, read 130,985 times
Default 2 and 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert___ View Post
Hello,

I live near San Diego and I need a cheaper place to rent. My only requirements are:

1) super cheap apartments
2) an accredited community college in the area
3) You can get around on a bicycle. ie basic things like store, school, housing are within 10 miles of each other

I know I'm gonna have to move somewhere inland, but I'd like to get a better idea of where would be cheapest.

Thanks for your help
Fod #2 Modesto Jr. College and CSU Stanislaus are 2 accredited colleges in Modesto and Turlock respectively. For #3 amenities as you mentioned are available in pretty much any city in California. It may be harder in smaller cities however such as Keyes, Denair and that expensive one, Del Rio.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:26 PM

49 posts, read 50,016 times
What do you all think of Chico for the OP's criteria? A little too expensive? Sadly their community college is far out of town, in the middle of nowhere... would be a long ass bike ride on dangerous looking roads. Might be better to take the bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California