Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 08:11 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,742,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraBeth07 View Post
Indeed they are, but I got some good info from the first few posters. Debate away if that makes you happy!
You're very tolerant of the fact that your thread has been hijacked.
Did you state where you live or how far south your parents want to travel?
That may help hone in on where they should go to see CALIFORNIA BIG, BIG TREES.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 09:19 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
Your point wouldn't negate that the trees can still be called Sierra Redwoods, just like the park's link I posted in reply to you. Almost doesn't matter what part of the state people are native too.

If people from Del Norte county say Del Nort and people from Orange county say Del Nor-teh ... both names are fine by me, and I wouldn't waste much breath trying to erase either style.

Actually, if you want to talk about redwoods and native Californians in general, I find that most of them don't know a whole lot about Sequoia or Sequoiadendron anyway. Which goes back to the OP I referenced. Which hopefully the parents get a chance to see them close-up and maybe learn a few interesting things.
Lol at the bold. I didn't discover until very recently that the latter was wrong. Native Orange Countian here.

Anyways, I don't think he was arguing the fact that they CAN still be called Sierra Redwoods. I think he is trying to point out that most native Californians, unless having grown up around the trees, differentiate Sequoias and Redwoods.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:45 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,022 times
Quote:
Closest town with hotel options? They aren't camping people.
Depends on whether they want a little bit of extra action, like walking near a harbor or something. If they call it an early night and the redwoods sufffice most of the day, there's a new Holiday Inn at Klamath, less than 10 minutes from the park's entry gate. The place is new and there is fine dining. There's very little there aside from a couple of small motels like the Ravenwood that has clean individually decorated rooms. The Motel Trees across from Trees of Mystery is old-school, but clean with murals.

If they stay up in Crescent City, they could go with the Curly Redwood Lodge or Best Western and have more dining, the ocean in the evening and the lighthouse. Its maybe 25 minutes from Prairie Creek Redwoods.

No real need to go to Arcata or Eureka. The most practical choices would be Crescent City or Klamath.

Last time in the redwoods for me was two weeks ago. I went to Prairie Creek too, but chose Crescent City to lodge. A lighthouse photo before I headed out to the redwoods for exploring.
Attached Thumbnails
Redwoods and Sequoias-bp_reflect_1100mdv.jpg  

Old 11-14-2015, 01:38 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,562,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Lol at the bold. I didn't discover until very recently that the latter was wrong. Native Orange Countian here.

Anyways, I don't think he was arguing the fact that they CAN still be called Sierra Redwoods. I think he is trying to point out that most native Californians, unless having grown up around the trees, differentiate Sequoias and Redwoods.
Precisely. I have no idea why that is met with any resistance.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Precisely. I have no idea why that is met with any resistance.
That seems of no benefit for actual practical visiting purposes.

Again, pointing back to the OP, here's a woman during here first visit the coast redwoods. Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park. The park is more or less adjacent to Crescent City. From that city, only 5 hrs. past Portland on a southern path, your parents could see Jedediah Smith redwoods and Prairie Creek redwoods.

If they have a couple of days, they could see an appreciable number of trees in Jedediah Smith and Prairie Creek, then overnight in Eureka. Then the following day drive less than an hour down to Humboldt redwoods and Avenue of the Giants.
Attached Thumbnails
Redwoods and Sequoias-lady_1_1800mdv.jpg  

Old 11-14-2015, 10:58 AM

57 posts, read 143,471 times
We're in the Tacoma area. I think my parents are leaning toward hitting one of the more northern CA parks and skipping the big, wide trees (that will continue to be sequoias in my mind ). They're from upstate NY so even the tall redwoods they'll see in northern CA will be amazing to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
You're very tolerant of the fact that your thread has been hijacked.
Did you state where you live or how far south your parents want to travel?
That may help hone in on where they should go to see CALIFORNIA BIG, BIG TREES.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:02 AM

57 posts, read 143,471 times
Forgive my ignorance, but is Humboldt the same as Redwood National Park? And is Avenue of the Giants a road lined with trees that lead into the park?

Quote:
Again, pointing back to the OP, here's a woman during here first visit the coast redwoods. Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park. The park is more or less adjacent to Crescent City. From that city, only 5 hrs. past Portland on a southern path, your parents could see Jedediah Smith redwoods and Prairie Creek redwoods.

If they have a couple of days, they could see an appreciable number of trees in Jedediah Smith and Prairie Creek, then overnight in Eureka. Then the following day drive less than an hour down to Humboldt redwoods and Avenue of the Giants.

Old 11-14-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, but is Humboldt the same as Redwood National Park? And is Avenue of the Giants a road lined with trees that lead into the park?
Forum rules prevent posting one's own page links, so I will try to write this short and simple. First, in light of you earlier reply, start thinking of Coast Redwoods of far northern CA as the tallest trees and the widest trees in the United States.

Redwood National and State Parks

This includes Jedediah, Del Norte, Prairie Creek and Redwood National Park from about Crescent City, down to Orick just south of Klamath. Its a co-op effort between state parks and national parks management. Of those, Redwood National Park next to Orick is the "national" park. The others are state Parks. They are all superb, and all in relatively close proximity. They are in Del Norte County and stretch into far northern Humboldt County. The county border line is almost at the north end of Prairie Creek redwoods.

Humboldt Redwoods State Park

Managed separately, but still a state park. One of the largest. Much of it is more open looking. Includes Avenue of the Giants. This park is south of Eureka and Fortuna, and has several exits off Hy. 101. There is also a Bull Creek Flats Rd. aka Mattole Rd. in that park that is also worth driving and keeping note of.

This Coast Redwood photo, like the first one I posted a few days ago, is one more example why your parents expectations need to be seeing large and tall trees in Del Norte and Humboldt counties.
Attached Thumbnails
Redwoods and Sequoias-ca_x_12ndv.jpg  

Old 11-14-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:

Avenue of the Giants is a great drive through Humboldt Redwoods State Park. It takes maybe 2 hrs or driving south of Crescent City to get there.

Up in Jedediah Smtih, Howland Hill Rd. is quite a bit shorter, but provides a more rugged look on an old dirt gravel rd. A few bumps, but people may remember it their lifetime.
Attached Thumbnails
Redwoods and Sequoias-hhr_1200.jpg  

Old 11-16-2015, 01:02 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,562,808 times
Quote:
That seems of no benefit for actual practical visiting purposes.
Then did you initially try to rebut it? The specific categorical statement which I, a native Californian, responded was overly-broad and simply incorrect. The end.

Last edited by nslander; 11-16-2015 at 01:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California