Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2008, 12:11 PM

123 posts, read 391,300 times

Advertisements

If I should happen to be hired for this job in SLO --- where is a decent, relatively safe place to live? It seems like I've read discussions suggesting SLO is too pricey, but some nearby areas are good. What towns around SLO are habitable for an solitary, aging Pollyanna Whitebread RN? I am not a commuting type so needs to be no farther than 20-25 minutes. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 08:52 PM
JnR

1,709 posts, read 850,656 times
Most cities/towns in this area are pricey... what do you consider pricey? The beach towns (and there are a few to choose from) are going to be more expensive than the inland areas. If you don't mind the heat in the summertime, Atascadero is centrally located in the county. About 10-15 minutes to San Luis and about 20 minutes to the coastal town of Morro Bay.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:06 PM

That sounds fine. . .I think more than $1200/month for a one bedroom apartment is pricey. That's what I paid in Salinas a few years back and it really torqued me. I am actually asking where is the best deal likely to be found relative to prevailing costs for the area.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:28 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
I've been looking into craigslist ads for the area (is there any place in the US I haven't been checking out?) It looks like Morro Bay sometimes has less outrageous rents, I'm assuming the fog and chill are worse there than elsewhere in the county?

Old 02-03-2008, 11:08 AM

You sound like me. I can tell you --- there's no perfect place to live. But I keep hoping to find one that is better than the others. I think Morro Bay is one of the places that I've heard talked about as acceptable to live in if working in SLO.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:00 PM

253 posts, read 1,130,923 times
Hello!

A close friend lives in a very nice apt in SLO near SLO HS and French Hospital. One of the renters in the complex (4 units) is a RN. The rent is $700/mo for a studio. One of the other renters is a social worker with the County of SLO. No garage, however, there are on-site parking spaces. The biggest thing: the Landlord screens out the CalPoly students which means no partying . You will find this is the most important thing in the Central Coast: for the sake of peace & quiet - screening out the students is done by the best landlords. Arroyo Grande has a family atmosphere and there are few students there; however, the commute to SLO in the a.m. and p.m. is a killer.

All the best to you.

~Cali-girl

Old 02-03-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
....I'm assuming the fog and chill are worse there than elsewhere in the county?
Yes, MB has fog quite often and the commute on Hwy 1 in the a.m. when there is fog is scary. If you decide on Morro Bay, be prepared for the commute past Cuesta College and the California Men's Colony. The CHP patrols on the 1 frequently so be sure of speed limits (although most drivers go 70 mph).

MB is also colder than SLO so you find yourself dressing warmly only to go into SLO and be overdressed. Paso Robles is horribly hot, imo, in the summer.

All the best to you.

~Cali-girl

Old 02-03-2008, 02:39 PM

Thanks, Cali-girl -- that was informative and helpful.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlefeet View Post
Thanks, Cali-girl -- that was informative and helpful.
You're welcome

~Cali-girl

Old 02-08-2008, 04:39 AM

6 posts, read 24,197 times
Default Can you guide me as well on SLO ?

Hi, It seems you have lots of info on SLO. Can you guide me on few aspects as well : Exactly where is this French Hospital ? Is it very close to downtown SLO ?

If you have to live either in Paso Robales or Morro Bay, which will you go for ?

You said Morro Bay is foggy; is this year round or few specific months during winter ?

It seems SLO area has multiple weathers ? How far these places are from each other ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California