Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 04:17 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,045,715 times

Advertisements

If people are content where they live, that's great; however, if not, hopefully they would be able to relocate someplace more to their liking.

In this thread many don't like Texas. In the Texas forum you'll find those who don't care for CA. There are many who post on the Phoenix forum their dislike for CA, and would not be surprised to find many in CA who frown at the thought of living in AZ.

It's all relative; there is no singular place everyone will agree on.

What's unfortunate is when personal preferences lead some to bash others for their particular preferences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 05:06 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,382,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
[/b]

FL is hot(not warm) and HUMID most of the year, the beach gives you no relief. FL has nice weather from Dec to early March, the rest of the time you stay inside as much as possible. I know, I lived there a few years.
South FL yes, but above Melbourne on the East Coast it is much nicer. been all over FL in all seasons and middle and North, while still humid are great for the beach. The nice thing is you can hit the water at any month somewhere in FL and not be cold. In CA the water goes from cold to colder. I grew up at Newport beach.

Now FL in the Southwest, well you go in the water to dry off and come out to cool off.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:39 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,066 times
Quote:
LOL.....most of TX is flat and pretty ugly. I have driven across it from Louisiana into New Mexico, sure you posted a few pictures from the few areas(and they are few)that are scenic, the problem is you have to drive to get to them.

I walk outside the front door and see gorgeous mountains. Some have snow on them.

The ocean is close by. And the weather is better.

That's more important at to least to me than a McMansion that I don't need or want.

Whether people love or hate CA, it has the most amazing scenery and such a variety of scenery, more so than any other state.
Yeah you drove from Longview to El Paso. That I can agree with is a boring a** drive. My point was saying Texas isn't all flat that all.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:42 PM

Btw I do love California. I lived in San Diego for a while and would love to move back there.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:32 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,666,266 times
Quote:
Lose the attitude. I was just asking because some people seem to think having a large house that they don't really need(there was a poster on here who moved from TN to CA and whined about not getting a huge house in LA, it was him and his partner with no kids, why the need for a McMansion?). A smaller home wasn't good enough. Why two gay guys who have no kids need a 4,000 sq ft house is beyond me. But if it is so important than go back to where you came from.

I'm saying I would rather in live in a place I like(CA) in a more modest home and don't really need or want a huge house. I would rather walk outside and see mountains(now with snow on them) and it is 65 degrees, than live some place where it is flat and ugly.(And having driven through TX from Longview,TX in the east to El Paso in the west, TX is pretty ugly and the weather sucks) I was in Dallas and it was 78, than an ice storm the next day. Just so you can have a McMansion.

If you have a spouse and more than 3 kids than I could see that large of a house. I don't see it when it is just one person or a couple with no kids.

I don't get the mentality of just getting a bigger house when you move out of state, end up paying higher property taxes than you did in CA.
Dude, you have got to let it go. You're unbelievable. You're telling someone to not have an attitude, yet I come back on here and for about the *fifth* time, I see you AGAIN bringing me and my situation up (in a thread I'm not even participating in), as if it/I am some sort of example. I haven't been on these forums in months since I left CA, but even back then I would see you basically rehashing my story and crapping all over it. You've gotta get a life and focus on something/someone else. PLEASE STOP mentioning me. For god's sake, even the last 3 or 4 times I've seen you mention me I thought to myself "Really?", and I was sure I'd be able to finish this thread (after months of my silence on here) without you AGAIN mentioning me, but of course not.

I've repeatedly notified the mods of this ridiculous behavior but apparently that's done nothing, so please just can it.

Just to clarify:

First of all, I never "whined about not getting a huge house." You can't afford any house in any halfway desirable part of Los Angeles County unless you are wealthy. We brought in comfortable six figures, and still forget it. This may be normal and okay for you and others, but it's ridiculous to the rest of America. Excuse me that I prefer not to flush our livelihood down the toilet renting for the rest of our lives, paying landlords' mortgages instead of our own, just to say we live somewhere cool. You attempt to condemn me for it, repeatedly, yet I call that good financial sense. I didn't care for your precious state, the crazy, outrageous taxes, illegals living off our tax dollars while the roads and sidewalks are a mess, paying double car insurance, etc. etc. the list goes on. SoCal was also way too crowded, congested, and traffic ridden for me which negated the benefits of living there. Half of the time on the weekends we chose to stay at home, just because everything is such a freakin hassle there. Not to mention insanely overpriced. You've got to stop acting like everyone who wants different things out of life and thinks differently than you are wrong, because they're/it's not.

I don't need to explain to you why I prefer a large house; it's not your business, and, again, let other people live their lives the way they want to without your precious pearls of wisdom.

I'm back in Knoxville, where I belong, near my family and friends, and am a million percent happier here (we both are). We pay $800 for a fabulous apartment that would go for 3k in our old neighborhood. When I walk outside my door, I see my boat parked safely in a secure (free) spot, right next to my two cars right out in front. We go out to eat 6-7 days out of the week. We spend money like it's water again and don't have to pinch pennies anymore. Currently looking for, yes, our 3-4k sq foot house because THAT'S WHAT WE WANT OUT OF LIFE. Said 3k sq foot house will STILL be LESS money per month (to OWN btw) than the rent on a just average place (excuse me, APARTMENT) back in LA. It takes my husband a whopping 12 minutes to get to work, as opposed to the 1hr30m it took there. There is no traffic here. It's still a good sized city with plenty of amenities, yet it's not crowded. It's also BEAUTIFUL. A valley surrounded by mountains on both sides (Great Smokeys on the east), with about a dozen lakes for us to boat on. We will also have considerably more money saved for retirement when the time comes. I don't owe you any sort of explanation, but there you have it. STOP bringing me up in other threads. We all get that you are Los Angeles' biggest fanboy and want your ashes dumped from the Hollywood sign to spread all over the wonderful, perfect, flawless place, but you need to understand that there are different strokes for different folks. STOP bringing me up.

Last edited by Mister 7; 12-15-2015 at 11:42 PM..

Old 12-16-2015, 12:35 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,835,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
No you don't.

Absolute malarky. Nonsense. The beaches and trails are loaded with people young and old every day. And many of those people are repeat users multiple times a week. Some nearly every day. I'm one of them.

Listen sport, I don't know what drives your monotonous posting habits but you are a freaking broken record. What's your point of day in and day out repeating ad nauseum your diatribe about 'how much you love California but it's not the same as it used to be (duh) and the incessant points you beat like a proverbial dead horse? Think you are doing a public service announcement 15 times a day about the dangers of enjoying California?

Give it a rest, brotherman!
It's what happens when you retire out in flyover after leaving CA. They just keep coming back in here.

Last edited by bigdumbgod; 12-16-2015 at 12:48 AM..

Old 12-16-2015, 12:46 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,253,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingsR' Us View Post
Here's why, most of their major cities feel like a copy and paste world of bland modern suburbia. snip...
Who cares?

Old 12-16-2015, 12:56 AM

This is why I fly out to California each year. Cost me $200 to fly out of ABIA to San Diego with only a 2 1/2 flight. I can easily walk out of the airport and walk to my destination(s) without having to rent a car. Then after everything is done I fly back. Still live in Austin, Texas but can be in California in a few hrs.

Old 12-16-2015, 12:59 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,101,913 times
I can't really put my finger on it.
But after living close enough to west TX and going through there on a daily basis, there's something about the state that gives me a bad feeling any time I roll through it.
Both states have their pros and their cons, but after being out of CA for a little over three years, I'm trying to find different ways to return without being too broke.

That and trucking's the last thing I'd want to continue to keep doing if I move back there.
Time to study hard and jump on the IT bandwagon with the rest of the cool kids, I guess.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:15 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,253,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I can't really put my finger on it.
But after living close enough to west TX and going through there on a daily basis, there's something about the state that gives me a bad feeling any time I roll through it.
Is West Texas all you have seen of Texas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California