Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 09:13 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,952,945 times

Advertisements

Follow the rules of your lease and train your dog to not chase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 05:50 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,585,007 times
Does your complex have a management office? Ours sent a notice saying that if anyone is caught feeding the feral cats, they will be fined and evicted. They also highly encouraged us to "rat on our neighbors" if we see them feeding stray cats... (not sure how I feel about ratting on my neighbors!) In any case, perhaps bringing it to management's attention might help them send out a message to the residents.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:01 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,244,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCats View Post
Does your complex have a management office? Ours sent a notice saying that if anyone is caught feeding the feral cats, they will be fined and evicted. They also highly encouraged us to "rat on our neighbors" if we see them feeding stray cats... (not sure how I feel about ratting on my neighbors!) In any case, perhaps bringing it to management's attention might help them send out a message to the residents.
The management has never put out a notice - well, since I've been here for a year or so. But, they did speak to the neighbor who has moved with his cat more than once, who feeds his cat outside. She told him she'd have Animal Services come trap it because she was afraid it would bite people. They came to a compromise. He is very allergic, so he can't have the cat inside. But, he has a camper/trailer parked in the parking lot, and he agreed to feed the cat inside the trailer and not leave food out. But, he doesn't ever keep the cat in the trailer, he just feeds it in there and lets it back out.

He's told me he feeds the feral cats in a nearby park. As do several other tenants in my building - feed feral cats. And the squirrels. And the raccoons. I've never heard one of them mention having any of them spayed or neutered.

I personally think it's crazy. They're trying to make sure the population is well cared for, but by feeding them all, but not "fixing" them, they'll never be able to keep up with the population. And there's this desperation in their eyes, like they are somehow responsible for these animals' lives.

The funny thing is, none of them like rats LOL! And somehow they never think they're feeding the rats.

I personally don't get it. I'm someone who has no problem trapping and getting rid of problem critters. Maybe that's from living on land in the country, where feral critters are not welcome for many reasons.

They, of course think people like me are heartless. What are you going to do?

Old 01-04-2016, 09:36 PM

483 posts, read 687,685 times
I don't think people should feed feral cats, or anything else, outside in a conspicuous area. Be one thing if they fed it on their fire escape/balcony/similar. Feral animals should not be encouraged to congregate in public areas.

That said, I don't know how you'd entirely stop them. My parents used to stock their bird feeder, until they realized it was the squirrel hogging all the seed (I know, lol, it's not their fault a bird can't eat an acorn and they can't process it; but still). If there is food being fed outside, pe(s)ts will come for it. This includes "feeding ducks" (i.e., chucking edibles on the side of the rural road).

Old 01-04-2016, 10:39 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,019,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskittytalks View Post
I don't think people should feed feral cats, or anything else, outside in a conspicuous area. Be one thing if they fed it on their fire escape/balcony/similar. Feral animals should not be encouraged to congregate in public areas.

That said, I don't know how you'd entirely stop them. My parents used to stock their bird feeder, until they realized it was the squirrel hogging all the seed (I know, lol, it's not their fault a bird can't eat an acorn and they can't process it; but still). If there is food being fed outside, pe(s)ts will come for it. This includes "feeding ducks" (i.e., chucking edibles on the side of the rural road).
I'm sorry, but I don't think you make any sense. Feral animals should NEVER be fed, ANYWHERE. The best thing for feral animals is 'capture, spay/neuter, return to same place'. Feeding un-spayed animals leads to overpopulation.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:14 AM

18,812 posts, read 32,244,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskittytalks View Post
If there is food being fed outside, pe(s)ts will come for it. This includes "feeding ducks" (i.e., chucking edibles on the side of the rural road).
OMG, like attack geese! The geese aren't bad where I live now, but when I lived in Redding, it was crazy at Whiskeytown Lake. Anyone who tries to just sit down and eat are attacked by the geese. They're really aggressive. I've seen people set up a picnic, only to quickly pack up and get out of there. The rangers are always telling people not to feed them.

Where I live, we have ravens and seagulls, which will congregate and fly around hoping to be fed, but at least they don't attack. They just hover hoping for handouts. The worst thing that can happen to you, is you may get something nasty landing on your head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California