Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2016, 11:01 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times

Advertisements

I will be starting my MPA program in fall. I want to find an internship that will lead to a job and fulfill my academic requirement.

My ideas:
-the city of San Luis Obispo
-PG & E
-French or Sierra Vista Hospital
-County of San Luis Obispo

Any non profits or other places people would recommend? I would even consider an internship in Santa Maria.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 03:03 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
I really like that you are thinking ahead -- that shows a lot of determination on your part to make the most of your graduate program.

I'm sure you already know this, but your best bet for specific advice is to talk to your graduate adviser and the other professors/instructors in your program once it starts, as well as students already in the program who have already done internships. They're more likely to be able to give you advice about worthwhile internship locations and jobs after graduation then strangers on the internet who may not even know what "public administration" is. Many graduate departments and programs have an email listserv for those in the program, and that may be a good place to get advice on internship sites. You may also find as you begin the program that your interest areas will solidify or change after you get into the courses so while it's great to get ideas now, don't be surprised if what seems like a "perfect" place to intern before starting the program falls by the wayside after you start the program.

Finally, if the school where you're doing your MPA has a strong program, they'll likely have organizations that are interested in recruiting students from the program for internships (and jobs), so you may discover options that you aren't aware of yet.

So, while it definitely wouldn't hurt to start looking on the websites of the organizations you've listed to see if they offer internships, you should also be in touch with the program/department itself to see what they recommend or how they can help you connect with possibilities or give you feedback on the sites that interest you as internship possibilities.

Enjoy graduate school!

Last edited by RosieSD; 01-07-2016 at 03:18 PM..

Old 01-07-2016, 06:47 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,662,123 times
I would also suggest the San Luis Obispo Council of Governments (SLOCOG). SLOCOG is the regional transportation and metropolitan planning organization for the county. Also look into the Regional Transit Authority (RTA) and the Tri-County Regional Center.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:41 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
I would also suggest the San Luis Obispo Council of Governments (SLOCOG). SLOCOG is the regional transportation and metropolitan planning organization for the county. Also look into the Regional Transit Authority (RTA) and the Tri-County Regional Center.
Good suggestions! Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California