Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 07:35 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Wait,you are suggesting they need to meet the legal requirements of licensing and insurance, but not of entry and residency in the country????? Silly

As to other Governments; I see you lump the UK, France, Germany, Switzerland, Australia and other 1st world counties with Somalia. ????? Evidence of a weak argument in spades.

As to benefit, why is it that in many States while illegals exist, the vast majority of workers in fast food, restaurants and similar service industries (Entry level and training jobs), oh and construction and manufacturing, are made up of Citizens? Are there some areas where such "imported" labor may be necessary, such as in agriculture, sure and for years a program to bring the legal workers in existed. The permission of illegals to migrate to the US is based totally on greed and stupidity masked by wanting to help the poor people. Oh and political expediency to garner votes from citizen relatives and supporters. I know CA is only made up of high tech workers so let the illegals do they "dirty" jobs, right? Pass laws allowing 39 people to live in a 2000 sq ft house????? That is what CA has done. That is not a 1st world living arrangement.
Stop thrashing. You'll attract sharks.

I never have said, anywhere, anytime, that illegals should be allowed to bypass requirements of entry and residency. You're making that up out of - well, I'll not say where. I observed that since they are here and clearly filling a role that some entities of this country / economy want them to fill, and not going to be mass deported anytime soon if ever, they should absolutely at the least conform to our driving standards, which includes insurance and passing competency tests. And the national association of sheriffs agrees as do at least 18 states.

You also ramble on protesting the idea that Americans won't work certain industries, yadda yadda, that I never talked about here. More just pulling stuff outta -

Somalia. Yes. I expressly threw that out as an example of the absurd. Just as you threw out the meme of illegals living 39 to a 2000 sq ft house. Somewhere, that crammed house of illegals exists. So does Somalia.

America does not have to conform to another country's benchmarks and standards to be acceptable. Each nation in this world is unique in its structure, systems, needs, and solutions. Saying that America is failing, in decline, because it has allowed undocumented persons to become a part of its success overall is ridiculous. It is what it is for a reason. And as things change, so will that dynamic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 08:21 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Stop thrashing. You'll attract sharks.

I never have said, anywhere, anytime, that illegals should be allowed to bypass requirements of entry and residency. You're making that up out of - well, I'll not say where. I observed that since they are here and clearly filling a role that some entities of this country / economy want them to fill, and not going to be mass deported anytime soon if ever, they should absolutely at the least conform to our driving standards, which includes insurance and passing competency tests. And the national association of sheriffs agrees as do at least 18 states.

You also ramble on protesting the idea that Americans won't work certain industries, yadda yadda, that I never talked about here. More just pulling stuff outta -

Somalia. Yes. I expressly threw that out as an example of the absurd. Just as you threw out the meme of illegals living 39 to a 2000 sq ft house. Somewhere, that crammed house of illegals exists. So does Somalia.

America does not have to conform to another country's benchmarks and standards to be acceptable. Each nation in this world is unique in its structure, systems, needs, and solutions. Saying that America is failing, in decline, because it has allowed undocumented persons to become a part of its success overall is ridiculous. It is what it is for a reason. And as things change, so will that dynamic.
There is the problem. Most are not filling a spot the economy wants them to, some are.

You can't separate one illegal act from the others and say we will make this one legal and ignore the others. Kinda like speeding while driving without your needed glasses. Hey you have a License.

Now I will agree it is stupid not to make it possible for hard working illegals, who are trying to do the best they can, to get residency. However as you point out that would impact some with vested interests in having those outside the law, working for them. Kinda cheaper way to have slaves. They can't complain or they could get kicked out of the Country so they are at the mercy of their bosses.

I never said America is in decline or failing, you keep adding to what is written and then attack in effect your own words.

Yes there are a LOT of people living way too many to a house, as it is all they can afford and the landlords love the income and no complaints about living conditions. Go ahead support it continuing. Just drive through say the a portion of the West side of Costa Mesa lots of areas in Santa Ana, as examples.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:28 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
If people ever wonder why wages are stagnant for lower and middle class it is because of politicians being bought by business who want cheap legal/illegal labor imported.

Cracking down on illegal immigration and enforcing current laws probably has the most bipartisan support of any issue, but politicians don't care. It is one of the main reasons trump is getting so much support.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:32 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,746,610 times
No wonder why there were tons of bad drivers in CA. I even seen some when I was vacationing in Sacramento.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:40 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
No wonder why there were tons of bad drivers in CA. I even seen some when I was vacationing in Sacramento.
Uh, Kevdawgg, illegals have far fewer accidents per capita than citizens. It's a fact. Why? You think on it a while, hoss. Maybe it'll come to you.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:21 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
Now I know why my commute has gotten so terrible. People who shouldn't be driving let alone in this country are clogging up the streets.
So Mr. Seattle, you commute to California much?

They were driving without licenses before.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:45 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Does anyone know of any Country on earth where an illegal will not only not be deported but will be given a drivers License? Can an American do so in any other Country?
Canada. There is no mention of proof of legal residency to get a driver's license. It mentions ID, but a foreign passport is fine.

Obtaining a Licence

I don't feel like checking every country, but since you're interested maybe you should instead.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:15 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,310,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Canada. There is no mention of proof of legal residency to get a driver's license. It mentions ID, but a foreign passport is fine.

Obtaining a Licence

I don't feel like checking every country, but since you're interested maybe you should instead.
I personally believe driving licensing should not have to do with legal immigration status in a country as in the US its purely a state matter. While immigration is a federal matter. What many people including officials don't realize is that in many cases its perfectly legal for immigrants regardless of legal status to drive with their home license as in most states i.e California there is no law that says one would need proof of legal US immigration nor non immigrant status for one's license to be valid. In fact in most states CA included as long as one is not meet the definition of a "domiciled resident" of that state they can drive pretty much with any "legit" license issued by any juristication of the world that authorizes them to drive such class of vehicle(i.e car, light vehicle, motorcycle endorsement, etc). Though an IDP(valid for one year) may be required for non English licenses. And foreign license holders can usually get insurance as well though it may be more expensive than with a local license. I guess the issue is that these illegal residents often drive without insurance(As they are more expensive for foreign license holders but they are available) or they keep driving well after their home license has expired and insurance companies won't cover them anymore. And as most countries require renewal by person and not by mail they may not be able to go back due to expensive fares or risk of being denied entry on the way back. In this case its better for them to be allowed to get a local license if they have proof of local residence.

The definition of being a domciled resident in which the driver is required to get a local license is pretty vague is most states. In California registering to vote, registering for state benefits such as MediCal or student tuition, filing a homeowners tax exemption is "prima Facie" evidence of intent to domicile in CA. Though I doubt a illegal immigrant will be able to fall into any of these categories. The only thing they can do that might be interpreted as intent to domicle is enrolling children to public schools in CA. Therefore I guess unless the illegal immigrant have children in school he or she would legally be able to drive with home license indefinitely or as long as the license remains valid and they carry proper proof of financial liability. Though they would have trouble getting a local license as they do not have proof of residency.
Though I believe giving them licenses should not be any different from allowing their children to be enrolled to state funded schools. Insurance rates are usually lower for local licensees than foreign licensees. Of course it does not guarantee they will carry insurance. Though I believe as with school enrollment which is another purely state matter drivers should be able to obtain licenses based on in state residency and not federal immigration/non immigrant status and states should instruct their officials on the legitimacy of driving on a foreign license(to avoid false arrests) and forbid price discrimination for foreign license holders.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:28 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,213 times
The politics and controversies forum is spilling over.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:10 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
The politics and controversies forum is spilling over.
Yes, it's very difficult to discuss many things about CA without the politics and controversies of the State raising it's ugly head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California