U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-06-2008, 12:13 PM

9 posts, read 18,993 times
Default Moving to Petaluma. Young family needs advice

Friends,

Posted this earlier on the SF subgroup. May not have been the right group. Here it is again in CA general.

We live in the South with a 3-yr old. I and my wife are both engineers (in late 30s). I will be quitting my job to join grad school. My research is to be carried out at Bodega Bay marine lab. Its a tough decision to follow through. Could you please offer any comments on the following?
1. My wife will be looking for an IT developer, programmer job (4 yrs experience). Where (cites/town) are her best chances to find jobs? Know any employers? Are there good opportunities? (monster search was not quite conclusive)
2. From the other discussions, it appears that Petaluma would be a better choice to live. Any other ideas?
3. We will be there for 3-4 yrs. We would probably like to rent a house. Is availability good? What are the rents generally?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,831 times
Default to fellow traveler

I lived in Petaluma for many years, and liked everything about it except the cost of homes. For your wife, I think it's worth mentioning that pay rates are significantly higher in San Francisco, than they are in the North Bay. There are reliable commuter buses to the city from Petaluma (Golden Gate Transit). I rode them for nine years. If she's able to read and/or nap on a bus, it's worth considering for the higher income potential.

One thing to keep in mind is the traffic on Hwy 101 corridor during commute hours is bad going south in the morning (toward the city), and going north in the evening. So for ex, if you decide to live in Petaluma, it will be a lot easier for your wife to drive north to Santa Rosa for work, than south to San Rafael. Novato is where the southbound backup starts, so it's not quite as bad as San Rafael.

If being near SF is not a factor, Sebastopol is a cute smaller town with good proximity to Bodega Bay and Santa Rosa. Other communities w/access to Bodega Bay, that are decent and have somewhat lower rents than Petaluma and Sebastopol are: Santa Rosa, Rohnert Park, and Cotati.

The Santa Rosa Press Democrat, and the Marin Independent Journal, are the two largest North Bay newspapers. Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California