Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 02:54 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveNotCommute View Post
If your demand is that posters be "qualified" via professional certifications before voicing their position then a lot of the Internet would need to be silenced, especially where it concerns science and medicine as well as any politics relating to either.

While you took exception to what you felt were faults on Tulemutt's part, you did not address any of oldtrader's. Here's a relatively recent discussion on this forum about air quality in California:

Help choosing a CA location with good air quality and mild climate (for someone with respiratory disorder)

If what the people have posted in there are true, then Tulemutt has strong grounds supporting his opinions about air quality here, which contradicts oldtrader's contentions. There is only one significant factor that makes the two difficult to compare: The thread I brought up is contemporary (2011 to present) whereas oldtrader's experience is from a more distant past.

oldtrader's needs may or may not have been on the more extreme end where the move was medically necessary. Regardless of which circumstance, his presentation here of CA air quality was excessively general and only provides an anecdote for his findings... at the TIME that he did it. Air quality has improved in the larger CA cities since the '80s due to the air quality controls that people complain about (because this costs money).

But really, Tulemutt and oldtrader have had opposing views for a very long time. It's sort of a fixture around here. And since when did Montana become a satellite territory of Texas?
Thanks . Great that you could provide a link with some data that would have lent credibility to Tulemutt's opinion in his reply. I typed a reply to you on this thread the same day you posted this. I clicked on submit, but the system had logged me out and the back button on my browser wouldn't make it reappear, so it never appeared on the thread. The link to CARB data that is within the link you provided does support what you are indicating. I did find RosieSD's post on page 3 of that link quite interesting, in that she also suffers from respiratory issues and did acknowledge that 'no two patients are the same'.

I defer to your knowledge of the back and forth between Tulemutt and oldtrader . I guess I just felt oldtrader needed someone to defend him. From the posts I read, oldtrader strikes me as a gentler soul than some, who is from a rapidly fading era that had more, for lack of a better word, 'civility'. It does seem though, re information on this thread as well as some others, they do have one thing in common....they don't like places that are overcrowded. I do agree with Tulemutt that California would be better off with fewer people.

Lol, Montana isn't an extension of Texas, but they do have their similarities. I feel for anyone who has to go through winters in Montana with health issues. I've been to Yellowstone, Livingston , Butte, Helena, Great Falls, through the reservations on the way to Glacier NP, and over the Going to the Sun Highway. I've also been to Kalispell, Polson, Lolo, Missoula, and to (oldtrader's neck of the woods) Billings. All of this time, however, was NOT during winter. A friend of mine who is younger than Tulemutt spent the first third of his life in the SF Bay Area, the second third in Great Falls, Montana, and the last/current third back in the SF Bay Area. He used to drive from Great Falls to the Bay Area for Christmas . Montana is literally a breath of fresh air, but if I did have to pick one place that seems a bit grimy in some ways...sorry oldtrader...it would be Billings. The Capitol itself in Helena, and the adjacent grounds...one of the prettiest settings for any of the state capitol buildings I've seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Texas smokes California
I agree.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Not like CA is experiencing in the main living areas.

Of course it could be blamed on all the Californians fleeing CA, as happened in OR and WA.
I find that Texans are very friendly and don't dislike Californians.....except those who want to make Texas as much like California as possible (I am not one of those ).

Old 02-26-2016, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
How is the skiing in Texas?

And the weather?
I actually love the weather here, but the one thing I do miss is the close proximity to skiing . If I ever moved, it would probably be to Las Vegas....wouldn't want to navigate much of the northern part of Nevada during winter storms. Another reason to choose Las Vegas....Mt. Charleston is nearby (proximity to skiing at Tahoe no longer required).

Old 02-26-2016, 08:21 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
The advantage would be housing cost. In the Bay Area a decent house will run you at least $750K. In Austin, half that - $375K will get you a nice place much closer into downtown than that 45 minute commute range you mention, probably more like 20 minutes.

Although I will note that prices in the trendy parts of Austin are starting to look California-ish.
Tell me when anywhere in Austin compares to prices in say Redwood City or Belmont.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:25 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I find that Texans are very friendly and don't dislike Californians.....except those who want to make Texas as much like California as possible (I am not one of those ).
Yep, I lived near Dallas for several years and very friendly and helpful people. I cannot imagine why anyone leaving CA would want the new place to be like it. Why leave in the first place??? They are different States and both have good and bad, and each person decides what fits their needs best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California