Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 06:01 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,524,808 times

Advertisements

"Enough said" Probably what OP thought after 6th grade.

Having lived in both places and actually having finished 6th Grade I know the answer is more complex.

Texas thrives on oil, construction and some agriculture -beef. Cal is more diverse with high-tech and big agriculture. Texas has hot summers - either the dry areas like El Paso -- which is like the deserts in SE Cal, Houston hot and humid. South Texas has nice warmer winters. Taxes are generally lower in Texas and NO STATE INCOME tax. Texas is roughly 57-32 GOP but so many do not vote. My guess is Cal is about 55-45 Dem.

Texas has some beautiful ocean front Rockport Corpus - very cheap to live. Cal of course has a more varied coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 09:16 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
It is called humor, something many lack on CD.

The "rankings" are meaningless as I pointed out. Should CA be #1, no, but could it be, yes. There are many ranking systems and they basically mean very little. After all CA is likely to be #1 in those below the poverty line, so what?
You live in Tennessee, right? What sorts of proposals do you have for dealing with Tennessee's considerable problems? People who live in glass houses...

Tennessee ranks 2nd in nation for prescription drug abuse | WKRN News 2

Report: TN has high rate of women killed by men

The most dangerous states in America
You might think that going to California, Texas or New York exposes you to a lot of crime. But in fact it was Tennessee that had the nation's highest violent crime rate last year.

Infant Mortality in Tennessee 2003-2012
https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/h...eport_2014.pdf

Although Tennessee’s infant mortality rate has also declined in the past decade, in 2010 the state ranked 48th among the 50 states (i.e. had the 3 rd highest rate)...

Tennessee Considers Bill To Allow Religious Discrimination In College Student Groups

Third World Health Care - Knoxville, Tennessee Edition - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Report: More Tennessee children living in poverty, but improvements in other areas | WREG.com

Study Proves Southern States Have Lowest Life Expectancy - The Daily Beast

The states with the lowest healthy life expectancy were almost exclusively concentrated in the South; Mississippi, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri and West Virginia all had life expectancies of less than 13 years past 65 for its elderly residents.

Nearly all of those states ranked among the lowest on the Gallup Healthways Well-Being Index that compares the well-being of residents in all 50 states. Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Kentucky, and West Virginia occupy the last six spots on the well-being ranking.

Report: Tennessee, Georgia and Alabama among states with greatest percentage of low-income students | Times Free Press

Tennessee Prison Population Hits New Record High | Pith in the Wind | Nashville Scene

Old 01-29-2016, 09:32 AM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
You live in Tennessee, right? What sorts of proposals do you have for dealing with Tennessee's considerable problems? People who live in glass houses...

Tennessee ranks 2nd in nation for prescription drug abuse | WKRN News 2

Report: TN has high rate of women killed by men

The most dangerous states in America
You might think that going to California, Texas or New York exposes you to a lot of crime. But in fact it was Tennessee that had the nation's highest violent crime rate last year.

Infant Mortality in Tennessee 2003-2012
https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/h...eport_2014.pdf

Although Tennessee’s infant mortality rate has also declined in the past decade, in 2010 the state ranked 48th among the 50 states (i.e. had the 3 rd highest rate)...

Tennessee Considers Bill To Allow Religious Discrimination In College Student Groups

Third World Health Care - Knoxville, Tennessee Edition - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Report: More Tennessee children living in poverty, but improvements in other areas | WREG.com

Study Proves Southern States Have Lowest Life Expectancy - The Daily Beast

The states with the lowest healthy life expectancy were almost exclusively concentrated in the South; Mississippi, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri and West Virginia all had life expectancies of less than 13 years past 65 for its elderly residents.

Nearly all of those states ranked among the lowest on the Gallup Healthways Well-Being Index that compares the well-being of residents in all 50 states. Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Kentucky, and West Virginia occupy the last six spots on the well-being ranking.

Report: Tennessee, Georgia and Alabama among states with greatest percentage of low-income students | Times Free Press

Tennessee Prison Population Hits New Record High | Pith in the Wind | Nashville Scene
Ouch. That's gonna leave a mark.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The "rankings" are meaningless as I pointed out.
I'm curious, but how much do you and your fellow Tennesseans care about this?
Blues Project: Battling Tennessee's Infant Mortality Crisis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geTL7NG2rdM

Maybe you should take a look at this as it must be important to you as a resident of Tennessee:

Tennessee in Crisis: The Nursing and Healthcare Jobs Shortage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE8kyhYvkk8

Old 01-29-2016, 09:51 AM

Ah, but gasoline is cheap in Tennesse. So cheap a guy can drive his six cars and trucks day and night for the fun of touring. Certainly that compensates for those negatives listed?

Old 01-29-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Ouch. That's gonna leave a mark.
Some bitter ex-Californians settle into a cheap home in the middle of nowhere, sometimes near a river called Denial; and spend their last angry days throwing spit balls at those of us who can still afford to live here.

It's all futile on their part, as I have never seen a pesky little flea take down a mighty CA tree.

Last edited by pacific2; 01-29-2016 at 10:14 AM..

Old 01-29-2016, 03:41 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
California has a few first place ratings that should be considered, and the will always be so. California #1. California #1. California #1. California #1. No one can beat them.

#1: Poverty Rate adjusted for cost of living, California is by far the #1 state in the United States. No other state can come anywhere near California for this honor. Almost 24% of all Californians are struggling and living in poverty.

#1: Los Angeles Inner City poverty rate as high as 80% of people living in poverty. No other city can anywhere near reach those lofty figures.

#1: Over half of Latino families living in poverty. Plus 40% of Black families, 28% Asian Americans, and 20% of white families are living in poverty.

California #1. California #1. California #1. California #1. Yes give California credit, as they are the leader in the Poverty race, the #1 poverty state, and no other state is even close to take the lead.

New study says a third of Californians in poverty | The Sacramento Bee

Old 01-29-2016, 03:48 PM

Above public service announcement brought to you from a sheep rancher in Montana who couldn't make it in California.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Above public service announcement brought to you from a sheep rancher in Montana who couldn't make it in California.
Oh.....my! ->>>>>>>>>>>>

Old 01-29-2016, 06:37 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
Honestly, choice of where to live is about me. Not someone else's opinion. If old trader does not like CA, my advice is to not move here. I have no desire to live in MT. Do I disparage the fine state of MT? No. Please, just tell us why you like living where you do. Don't say why you think my state sucks. Happy people don't tell other people they live in the "wrong State". They say "I am happy in MT and I see you like CA. Good for you! CA is not for me, but hey...

Last edited by Mr5150; 01-29-2016 at 06:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California