U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 12:04 PM

3,382 posts, read 5,331,897 times

Advertisements

Looks like we have a pretty soggy week setting up in NorCal. Rain or showers forecast every day for the next seven days. Hopefully that'll replace the snow that February took away. Hopefully it'll be a sign of a wet spring starting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 12:28 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,130,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Looks like we have a pretty soggy week setting up in NorCal. Rain or showers forecast every day for the next seven days. Hopefully that'll replace the snow that February took away. Hopefully it'll be a sign of a wet spring starting.
We're supposed to get absolutely drenched on Saturday. Normally I'd be jumping for joy about that but I'm helping a friend move that day and am expecting to be miserable all day

Old 03-02-2016, 02:37 PM

3,382 posts, read 5,331,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
We're supposed to get absolutely drenched on Saturday. Normally I'd be jumping for joy about that but I'm helping a friend move that day and am expecting to be miserable all day
This is EXACTLY how you guarantee a rainy day. Plan something big outdoors that can't be canceled. You and your friend deserve a commendation for helping easy the drought.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:43 PM

88,175 posts, read 82,181,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
This is EXACTLY how you guarantee a rainy day. Plan something big outdoors that can't be canceled. You and your friend deserve a commendation for helping easy the drought.
There really is something to this. I've noticed that whenever a repair person is really late to an appointment time at my place, if I jump in the shower, they'll invariably arrive at that moment. I've done this deliberately when I'm tired of waiting around, and it works like a charm.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:54 PM

6,413 posts, read 9,615,868 times
This next round of storms is supposed to net us at least 3 feet of snow in the high Sierras where it is needed. The next few days here on the coast are a mix of rain and sun, then heavy rain for Friday night through to Saturday night and rain all of next week for maybe another six inches. We do not really need too much more rain on the far north coast, this round of storms will put us at normal, even if it quits raining from then on, we would be around normal, we have over 43 inches so far. Because of their geographical location, the Trinity Alps gets snow at lower elevations then the Sierra's do, and they hold the snow for spring melt that helps fill up Trinity Lake, Mount Shasta and it surroundings help fill up Shasta Lake, those two reservoirs will fair well, so will Lake Oroville. The only reservoir south of Sacramento doing will is Millerton at 53% of volume, all the rest are hurting still.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
This next round of storms is supposed to net us at least 3 feet of snow in the high Sierras where it is needed. The next few days here on the coast are a mix of rain and sun, then heavy rain for Friday night through to Saturday night and rain all of next week for maybe another six inches. We do not really need too much more rain on the far north coast, this round of storms will put us at normal, even if it quits raining from then on, we would be around normal, we have over 43 inches so far. Because of their geographical location, the Trinity Alps gets snow at lower elevations then the Sierra's do, and they hold the snow for spring melt that helps fill up Trinity Lake, Mount Shasta and it surroundings help fill up Shasta Lake, those two reservoirs will fair well, so will Lake Oroville. The only reservoir south of Sacramento doing will is Millerton at 53% of volume, all the rest are hurting still.
That's great that there will be snow in the Sierras, but whether or not it lasts through summer depends on the spring temps. Maybe if there are reservoirs/lakes everywhere to catch the melt, it doesn't matter so much. But one of the warnings about climate change is that there will be less snow, more rain, and that snow is needed for a steady water supply and hydroelectric capacity.

I'm getting envious of you, living up there surrounded by so much beauty. Snow-clad Trinities! I need to get up there sometime. And it would be a relief to see Mt. Shasta covered with snow. It was a shock to see it last fall, completely bare.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:32 PM

16,229 posts, read 19,280,219 times
One problem has always been, much of the snow melt goes into the rivers & out to the ocean, therefore it is wasted. .....Many reservoirs could benefit from this water.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
One problem has always been, much of the snow melt goes into the rivers & out to the ocean, therefore it is wasted. .....Many reservoirs could benefit from this water.
Yes, I think the push in the future will be to expand water catchment capacity, especially when the climate warms to the point that there's less snow falling in the mountains, and more rain.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:04 PM

12,824 posts, read 21,609,145 times
Debbie Downer aka "The Ghost of Powell" here ...

So, front #1 came through today. Completely wimpy. Maybe .01" for many locations south of The Gate.

Front #2 is reputed to be juicier. However, unlike some earlier models, it's now looking like a one and done affair, one good day of soaking rain (Saturday).

Front #3 is now looking like little to none other than places that normally get an inside slider. Yes, I wrote those last two words in the previous sentence.

NWS now progging meridional flow starting Sunday.

That is La Nina's calling card. Granted, ENSO wise we still have months to go before we are La Nina.

But that is a bad leading indicator.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:24 PM

6,413 posts, read 9,615,868 times
Getting to 72º on March 3rd does not spell well for the lingering remains of winter. The storm we got last night only gave us just over ½ an inch and now it is not supposed to rain till Saturday and Saturday night with us getting 1 to 3 inches of rain and another round on Sunday. Parts of Mendocino and Southern Humboldt county may get up to 5 inches. 7 to 12 inches is normal for March up here, about 5 to 7 for May and around 5 for May, so if we get those amounts or close, we will be well above normal and already are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California