U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-06-2016, 04:53 AM
 
Location: Oroville, California
3,378 posts, read 5,287,745 times
Reputation: 6442

Advertisements

Rained extremely hard tonight. Its been raining off and on all day, but about 9:30 PM it just went nuts for about an hour. The forecast for the weekend is about 3 1/2" of rain - pretty darn good.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2016, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Loleta, CA
1,310 posts, read 1,119,798 times
Reputation: 1863
My rain gauge measured 1.88" yesterday and pushing half an inch so far today. We've gotten more rain over the past 48 hours than we did in all of February
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2016, 11:52 PM
 
Location: McKinleyville, California
6,413 posts, read 9,579,894 times
Reputation: 4257
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
My rain gauge measured 1.88" yesterday and pushing half an inch so far today. We've gotten more rain over the past 48 hours than we did in all of February
Same here about 15 miles north of you, we have had 2 inches over the past 48 hours and all of February was barely 2 inches. But we did not get as much out of this as they forecast which was 3 to 5 inches, there is still tonight to go.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2016, 08:09 AM
 
Location: City of the Angels
2,222 posts, read 1,891,176 times
Reputation: 5397
The weather people stated on the weather channel that El Nino should continue into April this year.
Time will tell !
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2016, 10:36 AM
 
Location: McKinleyville, California
6,413 posts, read 9,579,894 times
Reputation: 4257
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
The weather people stated on the weather channel that El Nino should continue into April this year.
Time will tell !
If the storm tracks keep south of far northern California, where they seem to have been bulls eyed at this winter, and perform much like this storm did, the Sierras should end up above average and many of the reservoirs that have not been getting rain will start to rise.

I check this site several times a week to see how our major reservoirs are doing, most of the north state reservoirs have been rising steadily. The only reason that Trinity is not rising as fast is because some of it is outflowed to keep both Lewiston and Whiskey Town lakes full, run a power plant and for flow down the Trinity River. But we have lots of snow up in the Trinities and that will melt in the spring and keep our rivers running high and fill up Trinity lake.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/res...phsMain.action
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2016, 11:10 AM
 
964 posts, read 795,212 times
Reputation: 1279
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
If the storm tracks keep south of far northern California, where they seem to have been bulls eyed at this winter, and perform much like this storm did, the Sierras should end up above average and many of the reservoirs that have not been getting rain will start to rise.

I check this site several times a week to see how our major reservoirs are doing, most of the north state reservoirs have been rising steadily. The only reason that Trinity is not rising as fast is because some of it is outflowed to keep both Lewiston and Whiskey Town lakes full, run a power plant and for flow down the Trinity River. But we have lots of snow up in the Trinities and that will melt in the spring and keep our rivers running high and fill up Trinity lake.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/res...phsMain.action
Now all the north area needs are jobs, and people could relocate up there for the laid-back lifestyle, the water, and the outstanding scenery!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2016, 11:56 AM
 
Location: McKinleyville, California
6,413 posts, read 9,579,894 times
Reputation: 4257
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHi View Post
Now all the north area needs are jobs, and people could relocate up there for the laid-back lifestyle, the water, and the outstanding scenery!
And all of that would disappear if people moved up here, everyone would be in a hurry to get nowhere, the water would need to be filtered and our outstanding scenery would get cut down. We are so isolated from much of California, a few landslides and we are cut off, no railroad, 101 can go out north or south of us and 299 to Redding has been off and on closed this winter due to rock slides. Logging is pretty much gone on any large scale, so is fishing and crabbing, we have no industry really and who wants to take a cruise up to Humboldt bay and for what, oysters? I maintain yards for a living, glorified lawn guy, matters not where I live for there are always those who detest mowing and weeding that prefer to pay someone else to do it. We are probably one of the few parts of the state that has more water and fewer people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2016, 12:11 PM
 
964 posts, read 795,212 times
Reputation: 1279
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
And all of that would disappear if people moved up here, everyone would be in a hurry to get nowhere, the water would need to be filtered and our outstanding scenery would get cut down. We are so isolated from much of California, a few landslides and we are cut off, no railroad, 101 can go out north or south of us and 299 to Redding has been off and on closed this winter due to rock slides. Logging is pretty much gone on any large scale, so is fishing and crabbing, we have no industry really and who wants to take a cruise up to Humboldt bay and for what, oysters? I maintain yards for a living, glorified lawn guy, matters not where I live for there are always those who detest mowing and weeding that prefer to pay someone else to do it. We are probably one of the few parts of the state that has more water and fewer people.
Yeah, I know the last thing Humboldt, Del Norte and even Mendocino need is a flood of transplants. But at least a good chunk of the scenery is protected, and a lot of the Trinities are forest service land, no? In any case, the mountains aren't going anywhere. A little economic development would be good for the area; some people might actually get off meth, etc., and become productive citizens. Run-down downtowns would get spruced up. Moderate growth isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2016, 12:14 PM
 
46 posts, read 30,995 times
Reputation: 34
That was fun while it lasted.
NOW BRING BACK OUR 100 DEGREE HEAT!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2016, 01:44 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
87,600 posts, read 81,255,978 times
Reputation: 91242
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalHEAT View Post
That was fun while it lasted.
NOW BRING BACK OUR 100 DEGREE HEAT!
Be careful what you wish for! GAH!

The north coast sounds very nice, though. Sounds great for retirees who wouldn't need jobs, or people who can work from home via internet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:19 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top