U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-07-2016, 01:53 PM
 
18,173 posts, read 12,571,999 times
Reputation: 9235

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Be careful what you wish for! GAH!

The north coast sounds very nice, though. Sounds great for retirees who wouldn't need jobs, or people who can work from home via internet.
And who do not mind cold wet Winters.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-07-2016, 03:56 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
87,974 posts, read 81,852,797 times
Reputation: 91969
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
And who do not mind cold wet Winters.
If that's what it takes to have a steady, dependable, sufficient water supply year 'round, bring it on!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2016, 07:23 PM
 
Location: McKinleyville, California
6,413 posts, read 9,604,858 times
Reputation: 4257
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
And who do not mind cold wet Winters.
Cold wet winters is a thing of the past up here, the last prior three Januaries saw temperatures in the 70's, last month we broke temperature records four days in a row, 80º, 77º, 75º then a 73º. This was our first winter in over five that we got frost. I have an Angels trumpet, brugmansia, that is over 16 feet tall and they are a delicate plant. The cold, damp, wet and foggy days are not as common as they used to be and last summer was so hot, I grew tomatoes just ¼ mile from the coast. In the 16 years that I have been here in McKinleyville, we have broken long held temperature records at least a dozen times, hit 101º on May 15th of 2008, hit 90º or higher at least five times in the past 16 years and we get many days in the 80's during the summer when we used to be lucky to get to over 70º. I believe it was 2014 that we had no days below 50º for the high and that summer saw no days below 67º and many days in the 80's and several in the 90's. The climate has changed drastically from what used to be the norm.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2016, 07:28 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
87,974 posts, read 81,852,797 times
Reputation: 91969
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Cold wet winters is a thing of the past up here, the last prior three Januaries saw temperatures in the 70's, last month we broke temperature records four days in a row, 80º, 77º, 75º then a 73º. This was our first winter in over five that we got frost. I have an Angels trumpet, brugmansia, that is over 16 feet tall and they are a delicate plant. The cold, damp, wet and foggy days are not as common as they used to be and last summer was so hot, I grew tomatoes just ¼ mile from the coast. In the 16 years that I have been here in McKinleyville, we have broken long held temperature records at least a dozen times, hit 101º on May 15th of 2008, hit 90º or higher at least five times in the past 16 years and we get many days in the 80's during the summer when we used to be lucky to get to over 70º. I believe it was 2014 that we had no days below 50º for the high and that summer saw no days below 67º and many days in the 80's and several in the 90's. The climate has changed drastically from what used to be the norm.
Global Warming: coming to a redwood forest near you!


Thanks for another good report. This is what I've been telling people; the north coast is no longer cold, and no longer as rainy as it used to be. I don't know why more people don't understand this. It's probably one of those things where they have to see/experience it to believe it.
Though I think there's a good chance that El Nino years might become more frequent, due to ocean warming. We'll see. 80's, 90's, and 100 are way too warm for up there, though. Or for anywhere, that isn't the desert.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2016, 07:39 PM
 
18,173 posts, read 12,571,999 times
Reputation: 9235
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Cold wet winters is a thing of the past up here, the last prior three Januaries saw temperatures in the 70's, last month we broke temperature records four days in a row, 80º, 77º, 75º then a 73º. This was our first winter in over five that we got frost. I have an Angels trumpet, brugmansia, that is over 16 feet tall and they are a delicate plant. The cold, damp, wet and foggy days are not as common as they used to be and last summer was so hot, I grew tomatoes just ¼ mile from the coast. In the 16 years that I have been here in McKinleyville, we have broken long held temperature records at least a dozen times, hit 101º on May 15th of 2008, hit 90º or higher at least five times in the past 16 years and we get many days in the 80's during the summer when we used to be lucky to get to over 70º. I believe it was 2014 that we had no days below 50º for the high and that summer saw no days below 67º and many days in the 80's and several in the 90's. The climate has changed drastically from what used to be the norm.
Yeah in some cases that is very true. The Weather is changing for sure.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2016, 11:12 AM
 
12,824 posts, read 21,574,561 times
Reputation: 10961
Aygeedoubleyou hysterics aside ....

I just looked through this week's ENSO presentation.

Looks like significant upwelling is now happening along the Ecuadorian coast.

Meanwhile here in CA, besides a weak system early next week, there is little if anything on the horizon.

There is now a large mass of colder-than-normal water in the central part of the North Pacific, spanning between Hawaii and The Aleutians.

NOAA prog's >50% chance we will be La Nina by year end.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2016, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Oroville, California
3,382 posts, read 5,317,350 times
Reputation: 6462
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Aygeedoubleyou hysterics aside ....

I just looked through this week's ENSO presentation.

Looks like significant upwelling is now happening along the Ecuadorian coast.

Meanwhile here in CA, besides a weak system early next week, there is little if anything on the horizon.

There is now a large mass of colder-than-normal water in the central part of the North Pacific, spanning between Hawaii and The Aleutians.

NOAA prog's >50% chance we will be La Nina by year end.
Yeah, its called Spring has sprung.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2016, 03:34 PM
 
792 posts, read 661,332 times
Reputation: 1142
Since this El Niño was a bust, why should we believe LaNina will be fried then normal. It could be opposite of what the so called weather forecasters believe.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2016, 05:59 PM
 
Location: McKinleyville, California
6,413 posts, read 9,604,858 times
Reputation: 4257
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
Since this El Niño was a bust, why should we believe LaNina will be fried then normal. It could be opposite of what the so called weather forecasters believe.
This El Niño was not a bust, we got plenty of rain from Mendocino county on up to Washington state. The north state reservoirs that send water down south for drinking and irrigation are filling up, Shasta is 110% of normal for this time of year, Folsom and Oroville are also over 100% of normal and look to fill up with spring melt. Some of the other large reservoirs are at 50% level and climbing. The storm tracks trended north of where they predicted, way north. Forecast last fall was for the storm track to flow over Central California with us up here near Eureka and north being dry, on the north side of the storm track. Instead, Southern and parts of Central California were on the south side of the track, remaining on the dry side. If La Niña follows the predicted course, the nation is forecast to be very warm this summer, except for southern Texas, which is forecast to be cooler than average.


https://weather.com/forecast/nationa...rature-outlook
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2016, 01:46 PM
 
12,824 posts, read 21,574,561 times
Reputation: 10961
Default La Nina on the way

Very La Nina-esque:

THE RIDGE WILL BEGIN TO FLATTEN EARLY IN THE WEEKEND AS AN UPPER LEVEL LOW BEGINS TO MOVE SOUTH FROM THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST TOWARDS THE GREAT BASIN. THIS WILL RESULT IN COOLER TEMPERATURES AND INCREASED WINDS. THERE ARE DIFFERENCES IN MODEL SOLUTIONS CONCERNING THE MOVEMENT OF THIS UPPER LOW. THE GFS TRACKS THIS LOW MORE LIKE AN INSIDE SLIDER WITH AN OVER-LAND TRAJECTORY INTO THE GREAT BASIN.


If this becomes the pattern, we can expect moisture starved systems from Yukon, which bring late season cold and low elevation dustings of snow.

In any case, this type of pattern brings nails to El Nino's coffin.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top