Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 05:32 PM

19 posts, read 56,332 times

Advertisements

Hi ~ I will be relocating soon from the Bay Area to Humboldt County and was looking at Fortuna rather than Eureka to live in. Fortuna doesn't seem to have the meth/crime rap that Eureka does. I'm a 50 year old woman, looking for a nice, safe location rather than work/nightlife/restaurants/good school district as priorities. Any information or comments on life in Fortuna would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 05:42 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,006,559 times
It's a quiet town. Fernadale gets more of the tourist traffic. There's a poster on here from nearby Loleta who could give you more info about it.
On a side note, I'm willing to compose the high school cheer for their sports team: "For Halibut!....For Mackerel!....Fortuna!!!! Yay!!!

Old 02-14-2016, 08:21 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,533,532 times
Hi there - I'm currently on my phone so I can't post a huge response, so I'll just link to this thread that I made a couple years ago (it's been that long?!).

Personally I think the area encompassing Fortuna city limits is kinda forgettable but the surrounding areas like Hydesville and Rohnerville are much nicer.

I'd be happy to tell you more about the area if you're interested.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...ead-first.html

Old 02-15-2016, 10:28 AM

Default Great Link :-))

Wow thank you DCMann2 for the link to your wonderfully informative response to Fortuna and nearby cities/towns. And the beautiful photos! I am used to fog/overcast skies/cooler weather/rain being from Ireland originally. Ferndale was my first choice initially but that's out of my price range for anything decent. Hmm I will be visiting Fortuna next month and will keep my eyes open to see if I come across anything that may seem faux friendly Thanks again for linking me to your great post!

Old 02-15-2016, 07:32 PM

Hahaha just got it now Snort :-) I like the sound of 'quiet'. Just checking online to see how it leans politically and culturally … Fortuna seems more politically conservative/right-wing than other places like Eureka or Arcata. As long as folks aren't gun-totin' with that streak of color on the back of their necks ….

Old 02-16-2016, 08:06 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,533,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmayre View Post
Hahaha just got it now Snort :-) I like the sound of 'quiet'. Just checking online to see how it leans politically and culturally … Fortuna seems more politically conservative/right-wing than other places like Eureka or Arcata. As long as folks aren't gun-totin' with that streak of color on the back of their necks ….
I assure you there are plenty of gun toting rednecks in Humboldt county, and Fortuna is definitely more conservative than Eureka and Arcata, but don't let that stop you. The people here are generally quite friendly if not rough around the edges. We have our problems - some quite serious - but I still think it's a great place to live.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:32 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,734,844 times
People in Eureka think of Fortuna as a cow town but I almost bought a house there. What stopped me was the fact that everything in my life , including work, was in Eureka. Fortuna would be a reasonable place to live if you don't have to commute.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:28 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,755,923 times
Fortuna has much nicer weather than Eureka, Ferndale and Arcata. Lot less fog. Less overcast days by far. That is why they call in Sunny Fortuna. Best weather in the county.

Grew up Fortuna area in the 30s and 40s, and graduated from Fortuna High. Grown quite a bit since then. Fortuna has far less crime than Eureka and Arcata by far. If you like a quiet peaceful town, it is the best in Humboldt County.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:35 PM

Default Thanks for all this great info!

Thank you all for this great info! I will be visiting Eureka and Fortuna next month and will definitely be on the alert for everything you guys brought up. Hmm drugs, crime and liberals vs. rednecks, conservatives and more sun ….. can't wait for my trip there :-) I am already in contact with a realtor in Eureka but he can't /doesn't want to commit ('on moral and legal grounds') to saying what the dubious areas are in a list of homes/properties for sale I asked him to look at in terms of okay/safe neighborhoods. Hence I am looking online for this kind of info and finding lots both good and bad.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:57 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,006,559 times
I don't know if you've seen this on youtube, but it gives you a sort of "Chamber of Commerce" take on Fortuna:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwjEdKPt9vY

I like these kinds of videos that say things like: "...and there's never a shortage of things to see and do, etc..." while showing you a photo of some farm equipment.
Check out Ferndale for sure, if you're up that way.
If you're not committed to living in Humboldt, some other towns you might want to consider along the way to that area might be Cloverdale in northern Sonoma County; Boonville, Ukiah, and Willits in Mendo County.
These are still less expensive and easier-paced towns than Santa Rosa, Healdsburg, etc...

I used to hear advice about ringing up the local police and asking their opinions on where they might recommend a nice, safe neighborhood. Don't know if this is still done or if it would be appreciated, but probably couldn't hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California