Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 10:33 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
Seriously? You want to "measure" human behavior via mathematics? Why?
People with gobs of money can buy what they want and where they want. Simple.

For what it's worth (not much) i wrote this on another forum. I'm sorry but it has nothing to do with math or "preppies" (do they still exist?)

Any special place (city or not) attracts people and the people with money want to buy into that magic. They want to own it. And so they buy it (property). It starts in a particularly "charming" and vulnerable neighborhood and then it often spreads. What these moneyed people don't realize (which is kinda like duh, it's so obvious) is that when they do that, the magic of the place is ultimately lost. Then it just becomes a shell of itself and the essence is no longer. And vapid fools that they are, they don't even realize it ... they never truly realized that the essence of a place is not something that you can buy. But you can mess with it / destroy it by interfering with the culture that created that magic in the first place.

Often that kind of energy comes out of a culture that is not materially wealthy. Creativity, in its many forms (but first and foremost JAZZ!) is what gives New Orleans it's power and uniqueness. Creativity often (usually?) comes out of struggle and suffering and the more "unseemly", "darker" and chaotic aspects of life.

But people with money (i'm speaking generally) don't want the shadow. They just want the light. But it doesn't work / happen that way. That kind of person wants order, protection, safety, control, no crime, no chaos, no shadows. So anyway, they try to buy it - the power, the magic (the funky artist loft in the rundown part of the city, the house in a N.O. neighborhood that the owner couldn't return to, etc., etc.) and when other people with money catch wind of this they do the same and then it's all lost and the poor fools don't even know that it's gone even though the people who created the magic that they thought they could buy all left because who can afford those driven up prices and what true creative person wants to live amongst a bunch of vapid zombies.

I've seen this happen in quite a few places. It's happened, and continues to happen (in a very different way than say, New Orleans but same principal) where i live in Santa Cruz, CA. It's funny. S.C. has had, for quite a long time (since the cultural revolution of the 1960's) a reputation for being a place with a lot of weirdness and chaos and wildness. Well, those days when things were really crazy are long gone but it's still a place where there is a lot of freedom to be oneself despite the "yuppie" invasion of Silicon Valley.
So there's a bumper sticker that says, "keep santa cruz weird" but guess who's cars those stickers are on?

+1
Bingo!

Silver spoon entitled life doesn't foster much soul. Such culture tries to belittle and stamp out such, since acquisition, prestige, and envy are the qualities glorified by the snob class. They can have it. But don't think that kind of milieu intruding into an established neighborhood will be met with hugs and kisses. Send your scared little Young Republican cherubs to private school, if you must. Wouldn't want to catch the "commoner" disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 11:19 AM

1,722 posts, read 1,740,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
+1
Bingo!

Silver spoon entitled life doesn't foster much soul. Such culture tries to belittle and stamp out such, since acquisition, prestige, and envy are the qualities glorified by the snob class. They can have it. But don't think that kind of milieu intruding into an established neighborhood will be met with hugs and kisses. Send your scared little Young Republican cherubs to private school, if you must. Wouldn't want to catch the "commoner" disease.
Yowzy .... and i thought i had attitude.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:42 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Oh, you do ...

Old 02-19-2016, 12:06 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,740,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Oh, you do ...
Yep. But it's tempered with righteousness and great wisdom.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:10 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
That ain't nothin'. Can only put out the tempered, G-rated stuff in this forum, or the hall monitor will tell!

Old 02-21-2016, 08:23 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
You're saying we're all on the same page?
Somehow, I don't think so.
How very Microagressive of you.

Me I'm more of a Macroaggressive type.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:27 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
How very Microagressive of you.
Just following up on your observation of us a short while back, hoss. Not generally much agreement and man hugs.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:52 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
Zack Morris and the kids at Bayside

Pasadena used to be rich.
Is there a real life example that the show drew inspiration from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California