Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 01:50 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Flat is boring.

Florida gets a lot of visitors and transplants for a flat-as-a-pancake place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 07:38 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Flat is boring.

It's even more boring when it has to stand in comparison next to a state that consists of the one spectacular place after another - the sublime Sierra Nevada, the volcanic Cascades, the stark canyons and ranges of the deserts, the south and central coasts and their Mediterranean climate, the coastal rainforests further north, the coastal ranges everywhere, alpine meadows and desert blooms and the redwoods and sequoias and on and on and on.

The Central Valley never had a chance.

To be no more than it is - valuable farmland, and nothing to look at.

This is definitely part of the issue - paving and tilling never made anywhere look any better.
As a counterpoint, I believe any area should be taken on its face. As I have stated elsewhere, it is amazing to me that people demand a portion of the earth's surface be "not boring" or "entertaining" to them.

Granted, area boosters and governments have a lot to gain from the commoditization (?) of an area's natural endowments but people need to get over the hyping of things and learn to appreciate anywhere for what it is.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:30 PM

964 posts, read 993,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Florida gets a lot of visitors and transplants for a flat-as-a-pancake place.
Florida's worse than flat, it's collapsing. Some homeowners aren't too happy. Great scenery, though.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:43 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
I think Central California is beautiful. Nothing prettier than a field of lush produce, and I happen to prefer the wide open flat spaciousness over alsphalt hell (big cities). Nothing I enjoy more than traveling along I-5 with the windows down and the music blaring. There is beauty in all kinds of 'scapes.

Hilly forests? Pretty, yes, but to me THOSE are what's boring. That's my least favorite scenery.

Desert is beautiful.

Coast-line is beautiful.

Bayou swamps are incredibly beautiful and very peaceful.

Badlands are beautiful.

Farm land is beautiful - including Central California.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:49 PM

37 posts, read 51,007 times
Haters to the left. I'm just going to leave these here and let you decide for yourself if this is "nothing to look at." And I can spend all the money I save on housing by living in the CV to visit the hills, beaches, mountains if I want.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:59 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,599,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorful_mess View Post
Haters to the left. I'm just going to leave these here and let you decide for yourself if this is "nothing to look at." And I can spend all the money I save on housing by living in the CV to visit the hills, beaches, mountains if I want.
Stunning photos! Where in the Central Valley were these taken?
I am considering Turlock for my next move. (I am in the SF Bay Area completely priced out like every other person who moves here.)
Also, would you happen to know if there are parts of CA that are more affected by the drought than others? Are LA and the SF Bay Area more affected since a larger concentration of people live there than, say, Stanislaus county? Or is the entire state equally affected regardless of population density?

Old 02-29-2016, 11:07 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,028 times
This is a photo I recently took looking down into the Central Valley.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:15 AM

A person shouldn't try to judge what the Central Valley looks like by driving on Hwy 99 or I5. To truly appreciate the Valley, a person needs to travel the backroads. The Central Valley is as nice as what is seen from Mendocino to Santa Barbara.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:47 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,599,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
This is a photo I recently took looking down into the Central Valley.
Beautiful! This looks like a painting.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCats View Post
Beautiful! This looks like a painting.
Here are a couple more from the same location.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California