Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 11:49 AM

1,722 posts, read 1,740,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Still no answer from the OP. a waste of suggestions!
It's hard to imagine that the o.p. didn't already know the answer to his/her question. He/she obviously knows the coastal scene and other parts of CA. Grew up in CA. So it was kind of a weird post in the first place and then most of the replies were quite "off" so .... there ya go.
And he/she didn't answer your most important question re; rental cost that he/she can afford. Seems to me it wasn't a sincere inquiry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 01:09 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
It's hard to imagine that the o.p. didn't already know the answer to his/her question. He/she obviously knows the coastal scene and other parts of CA. Grew up in CA. So it was kind of a weird post in the first place and then most of the replies were quite "off" so .... there ya go.
And he/she didn't answer your most important question re; rental cost that he/she can afford. Seems to me it wasn't a sincere inquiry.
Perhaps because it was a "I want everything, I want it now, and I don't want to pay for it" post. Not the first, not the last.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:34 PM

964 posts, read 993,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Perhaps because it was a "I want everything, I want it now, and I don't want to pay for it" post. Not the first, not the last.
Yes, it had that ring to it, but it hasn't even been 24 hours since the OP posted. She may be back online this evening. I don't see why her employer can't help her get into a place in or near Oakland, if the employer wants her to staff an office in Oakland. The employer knows what Bay Area rents are like. If they're not paying her enough for rent, how can they expect her to staff their Oakland office? We'll see if the OP offers more information.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:52 PM

34 posts, read 38,921 times
I didn't bother to read all of the replies but Oxnard and Ventura are probably the only affordable places left in CA that I know of.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:31 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,667,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmisstata View Post
I didn't bother to read all of the replies but Oxnard and Ventura are probably the only affordable places left in CA that I know of.
Inland???

Old 02-25-2016, 07:41 PM

964 posts, read 993,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmisstata View Post
This is true. I don't know how artsy those areas are, but they're at least by the water, affordable, and sunny. She could probably afford a 1-br. there, and only there.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:28 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
OP has left the building, never bothered supplying her price point. Bye!

Old 02-28-2016, 08:47 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,599,437 times
Oakland is slowly improving and I know plenty of artists who live there. Could you find a room mate there? If not, they do have 1 bedroom 1 bathroom apartments for under $2000 in what looks like decent neighborhoods (use Zillow to help you.) I also know a couple (two "struggling" artists) who live in Emeryville but I heard that's a bit more sketchy. They love it there.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:02 PM

31 posts, read 65,831 times
Ack! I never realized there were more pages of comments, I'm so sorry you guys! Let me go through these and thank you for posting!!

Old 03-13-2016, 11:21 PM

31 posts, read 65,831 times
So sorry, I thought the first page was the last page, with the comment about Crescent City, end of story - I got frustrated because there were NO rentals in Crescent City. Sorry I didn't realize there were more pages.

Dollar amount I can afford is $1000. Dollar amount I can afford if I have to, with help, is $1500.

I have considered co-living and have talked to a few strangers - but that is less than ideal and I would like to avoid it.

You're right, I'll have to give up on artsy until my situation somehow changes. How frustrating! I am from one of the coolest artsiest places, and can't afford it. Bummer! I wish the wine and tech industries would go somewhere else.

I've written down all the out of state spots because I've realized for this next year I want to be closer to home. I'd prefer to be within an hour or two, but it's looking like Mount Shasta might be a spot. Others regularly suggest Sacramento, and I'm keeping that in mind along with Hidden Valley Lake, Chico, and the Sierra foothills. For others in my situation I recommend Ukiah and Willits and Cloverdale - but I haven't had much luck there so far. A few in Ukiah, but not very nice places.

Davis is super cute, but I haven't found anything affordable and its a little flatter than ideal, but I'm open to it, along with Sac and Chico areas.

I just can't stand Eureka, sorry. Arcata is lovely but I really worry about the fog. I've looked at some places and Fort Bragg and Mendocino and Gualala are all super cute and artsy, but the foggy gray skies get to me day in and day out, especially if it is mixed with urban environments (like Eureka or McKinleyville) but even if not. I lived in England and in Ireland for awhile and I love to visit but don't love living in so much fog. It really depresses me. I prefer the blazing heat of the north central area for permanent living and trips to the ocean.

And so I looked at Redding and Red Bluff too, super hot and much more affordable. But just felt depressing and sterile. Big box places. And I figured if I was going to live there, why not somewhere like Chico or Sac that at least have some artsiness to them - theatre, galleries, workshops etc.

Everything is tempting. All the suggestions are good. I'm not a decisive person I'm adaptive, which is why this is hard for me. I know my expectations/hopes aren't realistic on a moderate income. But making 50k nowadays you think you could live near your family, in a small home, without a roommate, be close-ish to water, and a liberal art community, in NorCal!

Thank you all for your suggestions.

""I want everything, I want it now, and I don't want to pay for it"" is totally unfair though.

I don't want EVERYTHING. I'm not trying to find a mansion or anything. I just want to unpack my books and live with my dog. The Bay Area is 99% pet-unfriendly when it comes to the rental market. It is an INSANE rental market. So its not that I want everything. It's that my home region is ridiculous and that's depressing. And it's not that I want it now - I've made very clear I'm willing to compromise on some things and maybe next year move again. And I've moved three times in three years because the market here is so intense. I don't want to pay for it is absolutely balls to the wall rude. I have a full time job trying to do good in the world for a nonprofit AND another part time job AND I take care of my disabled mother, and gave up my career in the midwest to do so. So I am trying to stay close to her while still having a good quality of life. I pay a **** ton of rent now and expect to in order to live driving distance to my family and to take care of my mother. I work two jobs to do so, and it is the cost of living that is insane, not my lack of desire to "pay" for it. Totally rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California