Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 07:11 PM

31 posts, read 65,477 times

Advertisements

I am a Northern California native. I've lived in the midwest for a decade or two. I did not enjoy it. My home is the Bay Area. But I can no longer afford to RENT here. Not just not buy, but now I can't even rent. It is nearly impossible to be a single female with a dog who doesn't want to live in a shoebox for 2 grand a month.

What I want is somewhere sunny (I say that because otherwise I'd go to Oregon or Arcata), where I can afford to have a human-size house/cottage/whatever with a yard for a dog, save up a little for a year until I figure things out (I work for a nonprofit and they want me to live in Oakland. Hah! Impossible. I already live in Sonoma County and that's too expensive so I currently telecommute).

I am a writer as well so I'd love to be able to make friends and meet other artists. IDEALLY I could spend time on the water (boating, swimming, kayaking enthusiast) but I may have to sacrifice one of these things I know.

Please don't say Santa Rosa/Sebastopol/Guerneville because they are wonderful but too expensive, way too expensive, and too expensive and damp.

I love Mount Shasta and thought about there, but an opportunity fell through and everything else since then has been really cruddy options.

My family says maybe Chico. Yea, sorta ok. I don't know about artsy and it doesn't seem super cheap but its a possibility, just doesn't have huge appeal but it is sunny. Davis is nice but I prefer mountains to flat, and its not really cheap, although it is cute.

Sacramento maybe but its soooo suburban and blah. I'd love somewhere with a little character. So yea, Paradise, Quincy all that, but then I doubt I'm going to make a lot of friends there, because, no offense, its a bit rednecky out there, fair play to them. Just doubt they'll like me

Grass Valley and Nevada City are possible too but nowadays honestly they're not really cheap either. I went up to Ukiah and beyond and its the same problem as inland. Very dumpy (used to be so pretty up there).

So I consider So Cal - but could I afford anything there that isn't in the Mojave desert?

Any suggestion guys? People say oh go to Santa Cruz and Laguna Beach, they're artsy! Yea, so is Sausalito and San Francisco, and equally expensive. The tech industry has eaten up Santa Cruz rentals.

Welcome any thoughts and not trying to offend anyone, just trying to find the right fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 07:18 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,987,192 times
Specifically say the dollar amount you can "afford."

Old 02-23-2016, 07:40 PM

49 posts, read 82,796 times
I'm sorry to be a Debbie Downer but pretty much all the nice parts of CA are really expensive. If you can expand your outlook outside of CA I think you'd have a much better chance to find what you're looking for. Best of luck in your search!

Old 02-23-2016, 07:58 PM

3,843 posts, read 4,503,730 times
The California Coast from San Diego to San Francisco is like a mosh pit. Everyone wants to squeeze in!
Takes money to pay for admission.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:04 PM

266 posts, read 332,406 times
you might be able to make it in santa maria or paso robles.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:05 PM

964 posts, read 989,972 times
If you work for an organization that has an office in Oakland, you could live in Concord and commute in. Concord is much more affordable. There are affordable rents close enough to the BART station to walk. It might not wound exciting, but the Mt Diablo area is nice for an easy escape into nature. The people employing you must be aware of the rents around Oakland. Have you discussed the problem with them, to see if they can offer some help with housing?

If you give up on the job with your current employer, Benicia has more affordable rents and is on the Carquinez Straight. Otherwise, check out Ventura, in SoCal. Mendocino has artsy, but it's not very affordable. You may not be able to get everything on your wish list for the price you need. There are 1-br. cottages in and around Santa Cruz for $1500, I don't know if that fits your budget. The competition to get them would be stiff, but if that's in your budget, you could try it.

Last edited by MountainHi; 02-23-2016 at 08:24 PM..

Old 02-23-2016, 08:07 PM

3,814 posts, read 3,988,712 times
You could move to central Sacramento and probably pull it off on around 1100 $ a month for rent.

It wont be anything large or fancy. Likely a dated old building or a generic 1960's infill apartment. But doable.

Otherwise, move to Albuquerque.

You could also try the Palm Springs region.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:27 PM

155 posts, read 153,245 times
Let us know what you find, im in similar boat with similar interests.. Have u considered coliving?

Old 02-23-2016, 08:30 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,542,155 times
You're about 35 years too late for California. How about Bradenton Fl.?

Old 02-23-2016, 08:42 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,704,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
The California Coast from San Diego to San Francisco is like a mosh pit. Everyone wants to squeeze in!
Takes money to pay for admission.
Eureka. Crescent City. Area in between. End of debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California