Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 06:15 AM

50 posts, read 55,191 times

Advertisements

The CA job isn't "better" than my MA job in fact I would be actually taking a pay cut (only like $13k), I am respected at my current job and it scares me a bit risking that to take another job at a company where I really don't know their culture in a different state.

My stepmom watches our son know, so if we move to CA we will need to get daycare(obviously not a huge issue). We would be looking around Aliso Viejo to live and work around Irvine.

I guess when I say relaxed lifestyle I mean spend more time outdoors and to have things to do on the weekends (especially in the winter)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 09:18 AM

1,722 posts, read 1,740,991 times
You said that you needed to decide last night. Did you give them a "yes" or "no" yet? My advice, for what it's worth, is to stay put but what do i know? It's just that the CA grass isn't always greener. Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:38 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick21 View Post
The CA job isn't "better" than my MA job in fact I would be actually taking a pay cut (only like $13k), I am respected at my current job and it scares me a bit risking that to take another job at a company where I really don't know their culture in a different state.

My stepmom watches our son know, so if we move to CA we will need to get daycare(obviously not a huge issue). We would be looking around Aliso Viejo to live and work around Irvine.

I guess when I say relaxed lifestyle I mean spend more time outdoors and to have things to do on the weekends (especially in the winter)
California has experienced such a huge influx of transplants over decades, that the freeways are almost constantly clogged in some areas. There is no more room in the big metro areas to widen freeways or build a new transit rail line, or bus lane. Below I'll include a link to an article about the situation in Irvine.

California is also getting warmer. The southwest in general has warmed 10-15 degrees year 'round, which means that while in your area, people feel trapped indoors in winter, in parts of the SW, they feel trapped indoors in the summer, due to temps in the high 80's and 90's, or higher. But that's the desert SW. The coastal areas will be cooler, though IMO, the ideal of breezy days in the 70's is disappearing. Check the summer temps for the last couple of years in the Irvine area to get an idea.

At this point, you'd be best served by posting on the Orange County forum, OP. You'll get better, more detailed and accurate info there from people who live in Irvine and surrounding areas. I can understand why people from the NE would want to move. The winters there have been unusually severe lately, from what I hear. Scads of people from NY and MA have been inundating parts of Western Washington the last year or so. You sound well set up to make a successful go of it in the new location. The main thing is to find out if your expectations will be met reasonably there. Good luck!

Unlocking gridlock: Traffic talks begin in Irvine - The Orange County Register

Old 02-26-2016, 02:43 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:

Then, it would definitely be worth it to you! I grew up in the SF Bay Area, and right out of high school moved to WA state. Spent a total of 18 years dealing with 8-9 month winters. I never want to even walk in snow anywhere again in my life LOL.

I also lived for 5 years in TN with icy winters AND humid summers from hell. There was a tiny window in the spring and fall when it was comfortable to be outside.

Losing the winter and the summer humidity will be such a blessing for you if you move out here. You're able to spend a lot more time outside.

This is actually one of the things I like to mention to people who complain about only being able to afford a small house. If you keep in mind that you can spend a lot of time outside - even barbecuing and eating and just hanging out in your backyard, your living space doesn't need to be so big.

You'll have to adjust your budget, but there are a lot of things to do outdoors that are free for entertainment.

Let us know what you decide. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:59 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Quote:
I have an job opportunity in SoCal that is similiar to the one in boston and my wife can work from home. We would have to pay for the actual move that probably will cost us around $15K .
$15 K to move, why so much? If it costs that much to move a bunch of stuff, just sell it. Mind you I have never moved a family before, just myself, and all it cost me was the gas money for my truck (also my 'moving van') and food money to get to SoCal and of course money for renting a new place.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:23 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
$15 K to move, why so much? If it costs that much to move a bunch of stuff, just sell it. Mind you I have never moved a family before, just myself, and all it cost me was the gas money for my truck (also my 'moving van') and food money to get to SoCal and of course money for renting a new place.
It's a whole family, and they probably have furniture they want to keep; a few unique pieces, maybe some family heirlooms. Not to mention a lot of kids' stuff, tons of closet boxes, office files (tax records, etc.), books, etc. It's all the way across the country. And if they have nice, solid wood furniture, that's really expensive to replace. And maybe they need to pay for some help packing. Moving is expensive.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:07 PM

50 posts, read 55,191 times
The offer process has been slow so I think I will get a formal offer this week. Yeah moving is expensive if u have to break leases...ship cars etc.

We just had our sons birthday party and we had like 50 people there, so tough to move away from where my son is so loved. This decision is weighing on my lately...remove our son from a place where he is so loved to have a "projected" better life in nicer year around weather so they can play outside and enjoy stuff more...so hard

Old 02-28-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
The offer process has been slow so I think I will get a formal offer this week. Yeah moving is expensive if u have to break leases...ship cars etc.

We just had our sons birthday party and we had like 50 people there, so tough to move away from where my son is so loved. This decision is weighing on my lately...remove our son from a place where he is so loved to have a "projected" better life in nicer year around weather so they can play outside and enjoy stuff more...so hard
I can feel the weight. Comes through in your posts.

What does your wife want?

And what do both of your "guts" say. Intuition can be a god-send! Especially when the mind is spinning its wheels to the point of making you nuts.

Is there any possible way that you can be bi-coastal for a bit so you can really get a feel for the area that you'll be moving your family to? Or i guess if you take the CA job you'll lose the security of your current job.
I feel protective of you and your family (i know, i'm weird) because i'm not sure that you're going to have a better quality of life than you do now.
I know MA well. Where in MA are you living if you don't mind saying?

California is an amazing state but people tend to be a bit delusional about it ... as if it's some kind of panacea and it's really not. It doesn't sound like your that kind of person but do realize that SoCal has a lot of problems and it's not some kind of utopia. One could say that it used to be in many ways .... during the halcyon days ... decades and decades ago and it's like people are still holding onto that California dream of the late 40's, 50's and 60's after the war and before the U.S. culture began the downhill slide (setting aside the cultural revolution ... another story). That's the way i see it anyway ... for what it's worth.

And people are so influenced by the media that the impressions of CA (especially SoCal) are quite skewed imo.

Also, we are still in a drought! This is (or will be - i've lost track) year 5 of a serious lack of rain and snow pack. People were hoping that it would be a very wet winter but alas, it didn't happen. We (to the north) got quite a bit of rain for a time and the Sierra got quite a bit of snow but then it just fizzled.
You may not take that seriously as you are in the relative lushness of New England. But it is serious and it will get more so if this continues. And SoCal is getting hit hard by it. So if you're looking really long range for the future of your family, consider that issue. It's not like you'll have no water coming out your faucets (although there are homes in the central valley that have had that happen!) in the near future but it's an issue and it will become more of an issue if this drought continues year after year and there's a good chance it will.

Last edited by blueskywalker; 02-28-2016 at 06:50 PM..

Old 02-28-2016, 06:45 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
No, stay out.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:50 PM

nice.

But Maverick ... i just re-read the post where you stated that you were going to be taking a pay cut!
Only you and your family know what's best but i've gotta say, as it see/feel it, it doesn't sound like a good idea.
Taking a pay cut to move to SoCal for a better quality of life? I wouldn't.
There are so many better areas (you may just be in one of them!) to raise a family with amazing outdoor activities / access.
Is it like this is your only chance in a lifetime to make a move that would be better for your family?
If not, wait.

Last edited by blueskywalker; 02-28-2016 at 07:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California