Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 09:43 AM

892 posts, read 859,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Napa is more rural so it might cool off faster. Also I can see that happening when an onshore flowing is returning/getting stronger towards the end of a heat wave/warm spell. 90 is kind of the cut off for warmish evening inland imo. usually anything below that it can be chilly to mild after sunset.
After he said that, I had a look at actual data out of curiosity, July 2015 in Napa. Note the 47 degree night, in July!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 09:58 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
Mostly because it makes it hard for your body to acclimate to the climate. The hotter parts of the day will feel hotter and the colder parts, colder. It's also harder to dress for the weather, I mean you will need to bring a light jacket with you.

It's much more pleasant, imo, when daytime highs and lows are with 10 degrees of each other. 85-75, the kind of weather we're getting now in Miami is perfect. Allows you to dress one way throughout the day and night, nights feel pleasant but not cold, daytimes feel warm but not hot. I can be out on my balcony and be comfortable.
I agree, that is why I loved summers in San Diego, could dress the same all day and night. Though one thing I will give the cool evenings is not having to use AC at night, I do appreciate being able to cool the house down at night and open the windows. I hate using AC especially at night and it's so expensive with our electricity rates.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:59 AM

155 posts, read 154,181 times
Ya thats only one night though.. On average its about mid 80's down to upper 50's or 60. Doesnt seem too shabby, cool at night is good for sleeping.

Here in new england its the opposite climate and it sucks! Winters are cold and dry so your skin is basically falling off, when we finally get hot weather it is often very humid and unpleasant so you need AC.

Worst of both worlds

Old 03-17-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
After he said that, I had a look at actual data out of curiosity, July 2015 in Napa. Note the 47 degree night, in July!
Yeah North Bay seems to have some really cool summer nights even with the heat. My dad lives in Ukiah where it's hotter during the day than where I live (Central CoCo County) but it still cools off much faster.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:17 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,023 times
65 and windy is cold IMO for July weather even in day time. Winter temps are similar to a few degrees warmer compared to the rest of the bay area. Low temps almost never going below 40 nor is there frost in SF. The summer kills you when you are a tourist from the midwest visiting in July expecting warm sunny stereotypical CA weather and being greeted with the cool breeze while you are wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:41 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,173,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm always amazed that large temperature swings in summer are presented as a problem. There's nothing better after a 90-degree day than a cool evening.
It is a problem for evening festivities that usually run from 6PM to about 9 or 10PM because of the drastic temperature drop in those hours. Personally, I think daytime highs of 80-85F paired with overnight lows of 65-68F are perfect on both ends; warm enough to swim during the day and balmy enough for summer festivities in the evening (remains above 70 until close to midnight), yet still enough cooling to sleep with the windows open and cool things off in the house. Last summer San Diego got several nights with lows in the mid 70s at the coast after daytime highs in the mid 80s to low 90s and that was problematic for people without AC to sleep.

Old 03-19-2016, 03:48 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
It's also worth noting that SD's airport (where climate data is taken) is closer to the ocean than SF's downtown (where climate data is taken as well). If you compared an equal distance from the ocean, SF might end up with less sun than SD. Directly on the coast at the beach, I think SD is sunnier and feels A LOT warmer overall.
Yes, this.

If you compare the beach in SF to the beach in SD, SD will be sunnier. The SF station is in one of the sunniest parts of town and the SD station is in one of the cloudier parts of town.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:32 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Personally, I think daytime highs of 80-85F paired with overnight lows of 65-68F are perfect on both ends; warm enough to swim during the day and balmy enough for summer festivities in the evening (remains above 70 until close to midnight), yet still enough cooling to sleep with the windows open and cool things off in the house.
You pretty much described the perfect weather of coastal Southern Cal. Subtract 10 degrees and you have coastal NorCal - 70-75F paired with overnight lows of 55-59F in the summer. Both are great in my opinion.

Very slight adjustment needed to climatize should you move from one to the other. Coupled with rainless days for 5-6 months means just about everyday is good for outdoor activities.

If you are coming from just about anywhere in USA, both of these climates are near perfect if you are looking for mild, slight variation, very little need for heat or a/c, and limited days of inclement weather. You will need your a/c a little bit more in coastal SoCal, but less need for heat. The opposite for coastal NorCal, you will need your heat a little bit more, and a lot less need for a/c than SoCal.

SF, SD, and coastal LA folks have a very difficult time understanding that any variation of the weather further inland does not mean the weather is "bad", "hot", nor "cold" when comparing these places with the rest of the nation.

For example describing , Walnut Creek, Napa, and Sacramento as "hot" without clarifying, or that Sacramento, Santa Rosa, or Stockton are "cold" without clarifying characterizes these places as having "bad" weather, when they all have GREAT weather compared to the rest of the nation both in the winter and SUMMER.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:25 PM

Costal NorCal is more like 60-70 during summer max, a lot more windy, and foggy than coastal SoCal. Santa Cruz being an exception. I wouldn't call it a "slight adjustment" at all.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:30 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
Costal NorCal is more like 60-70 during summer max, a lot more windy, and foggy than coastal SoCal. Santa Cruz being an exception. I wouldn't call it a "slight adjustment" at all.
For the majority of Americans around the country adjustment is marginal in comparing the differences between coastal SoCal and coastal NorCal. As a Californian I never quite understood how folks from the east coast described the Bay Area as sunny and warm but now I do after traveling all over the country it is easy to see that coastal SoCal and NorCal are much more alike than different compared to other places around the country.

Having said that, the direct coast of say Ocean Beach in SF compared to PB in SD you will definitely feel a difference because SF ,likely will be windier longer, and the wind combined with just a 5-10 degree difference will make it feel it colder. Thicker, colder and longer lasting fog in SF than in SD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California