Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 12:49 PM

9,810 posts, read 11,046,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
No. Because Greece was the cradle of Western Civilization with its history and archaeology is not something you can replicate.

Do you understand that California, despite having a similar climate and ecosystem to that of Mediterranean, it is NOT, NOT the Mediterranean???
I get that and the desire to preserve. But it might have been nice to have just one island partially developed with a couple 5 star accomodations and a lovely village. I know Avalon is supposed to be that, but it's just not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 03:07 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,524,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I see you want to childishly lash out and attack even where I live because I think Avalon sucks. How utterly bizarre but expected in a hysterical comment. I'm clarifying that Avalon mostly sucks...that's what I was referring to. AVALON, get it? It sucks because of restrictions. I remember when it was nicer. You want it to remain charming, but others of us know it as incredibly overrated. The island itself is not a dump, but Avalon sort of is. Those without a yacht are more limited to what we can easily do on the island. Avalon could be a world class town without even growing; I'd like to see it resemble places in the Canary Islands. That can't happen due to too many restrictions on Avalon.

People here act like Catalina is the only island. Not one island did they permit to get 5 star development even on a limited scale.

I know it's hard to understand since you believe yourself to always be right, but guess what? Others can have a viewpoint different from your own.
That's not a clarification, you're walking it back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Well here I have to agree slightly. The prohibition on virtually all Catalina development has made Catalina undesirable. No, really, it is not even worth going to unless you have your own yacht (which is what they want).
Catalina is worthless as a destination without a yacht. No reason to visit without a 5 star resort. You were understood the first time.

To the extent you are now referring to Avalon, the entirety of the island outside Avalon is off-limits to development pursuant to the terms of the land trust. The majority of Avalon is subject to individual residential property rights. And anybody who has spent any time on that rock in the last 10 years and who has spoken with the locals know full well certain members of the Wrigley family have pushed the direction of that tiny percentage of commercial space on Avalon to favor the more affluent, particularly tourists. The Landing is now a spa. Descanso Beach has cabanas and massage therapy. Armstrong's Fish is now a Bluewater Grill, just like the one in exotic ...Newport Beach. The more established businesses are getting pushed out. We are talking about an extremely tiny footprint and the ONLY interests being catered to are those with more means, not less. But that's never enough.

And please understand my words in the spirit in which they were intended: I truly detest the look and feel of South Orange County, particularly the abundance of 5 star resorts. Hard to believe, but others have a viewpoint different from your own.

Last edited by nslander; 04-13-2016 at 03:19 PM..

Old 04-13-2016, 03:54 PM

21,564 posts, read 16,058,926 times
Oh my. Perhaps we are done here with the part about developing Catalina?
May I suggest we move on to fulfilling the dream of California City now?

Old 04-14-2016, 01:51 AM

387 posts, read 507,647 times
California City was an absurb idea from the start. The geographical location wasn't desirable enough to attract ad many people as they planned. Like at least have it next to an iconic mountain peak or something to make it stand out from the rest.

http://youtu.be/gO3LUhFwx6k

Old 04-14-2016, 11:21 AM

5,951 posts, read 13,029,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Buildings View Post
California City was an absurb idea from the start. The geographical location wasn't desirable enough to attract ad many people as they planned. Like at least have it next to an iconic mountain peak or something to make it stand out from the rest.

http://youtu.be/gO3LUhFwx6k
I really don't want to put you down, you understand that. But all your posts sound like that of a short sighted real estate investor.

We live in a different era than the 50s and 60s. You see California City as an absurb idea back then. But obviously according to the very youtube clip you posted shows that they clearly didn't think that back then.

What makes your vision of developing the land between OC and SD in Camp Pendleton or turning Catalina into a faux Greek or Italian vacation island any better? Do you know that Catalina has a water shortage or that desalinization is extremely expensive and energy intensive? Lack of water was one of the reasons why California City never really took off. Both ideas were/are short sighted.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:04 PM

50,056 posts, read 46,553,810 times
Already too much boat traffic out there.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:23 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,479,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Buildings View Post
The California Channel Islands could become like the Greek Islands of the West Coast!
Do you ever spend any time outdoors? What are your feelings about redtail hawks... mule deer...bobcats...mountain lions a/k/a cougars...great horned owls...? Have you ever even seen any of these creatures in their natural environment?? These are just a few of the inhabitants of the Camp Pendleton area that you are so eager to pave over. I won't even address the Channel Islands idea.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:34 AM

387 posts, read 507,647 times
Same thing with urban sprawl in the Inland Empire. Cow farms are being developed on along the 15 towards San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California