Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 03:19 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,393,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
I think you're totally insane...that buffer zone between OC & North San Diego County is the last stretch of natural beauty left in that area. I hope it NEVER changes! Really, who would want that????

No doubt - I love to drive thru Camp Pendleton, many times when visitors have been in town and we are heading north (or South when we lived in Temecula) I would take them the log scenic way thru Camp Pendleton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 05:24 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringguitarguy View Post
I would not. Many of California's problems stem from overpopulation and suburban sprawl. Maybe some people would want more buildings i.e. developers and investors probably. I once had friend/ college Roommate from Japan and he disliked rural and nature areas as well.. He lived in Tokyo Japan in a apartment building most of his life and He liked "buildings and cities" and metropolitan areas, it makes sense because Japan is mostly urbanized except for the mountains and the top island were few people live . I think people like what they are used to an extent.
When you are young it works well. When you have kids and get older, not so well.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:26 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,566,236 times
Migration into California has slowed to a crawl sinçe the construction of SFRs statewide has slowed to a crawl due to government zoning restrictions and suffocating open space mandates which have existed for over three decades.

Folks overwhelmingly want to own HOUSES but the policies of Brown & Co.have made building them too arduous for the middle class to afford, and especially when they see companies such as Toyota, Occidental Petroleum and Carl's Jr/Hardee's leave the state taking thousand of jobs and potential billions of dollars in future tax revenues in a statevwhich can use every nickel given its woeful infrastructure and deep-red balance sheet for pension costs.

Toss in decades of government policies which ensure sky-high COL numbers and a middle class being ripped to shreds and it's no wonder that California is in its current state and bound to get worse.

The government will never give the land on which Camp Pendleton sits for more homes since environmentalists would never let it happen starting with our tree-hugger par excellence in the Governor's mansion.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:58 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,560,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Migration into California has slowed to a crawl sinçe the construction of SFRs statewide has slowed to a crawl due to government zoning restrictions and suffocating open space mandates which have existed for over three decades.

Folks overwhelmingly want to own HOUSES but the policies of Brown & Co.have made building them too arduous for the middle class to afford, and especially when they see companies such as Toyota, Occidental Petroleum and Carl's Jr/Hardee's leave the state taking thousand of jobs and potential billions of dollars in future tax revenues in a statevwhich can use every nickel given its woeful infrastructure and deep-red balance sheet for pension costs.

Toss in decades of government policies which ensure sky-high COL numbers and a middle class being ripped to shreds and it's no wonder that California is in its current state and bound to get worse.

The government will never give the land on which Camp Pendleton sits for more homes since environmentalists would never let it happen starting with our tree-hugger par excellence in the Governor's mansion.

The Federal government will not sell the land for basic strategic reasons previously identified. Given that reality, where do you propose to site all those new SFRs? Its all so simple in your world- exactly where do you want to see hundreds of thousands of new single family houses?

Conceptually, I get the appeal of inhabiting an alternate reality and bludgeoning nuance to a bloody pulp by mashing a bunch of right wing talking points together. But things like this keep getting in the way:

Economic Forecast: California Set To Outpace Nation In Job Growth « CBS Los Angeles

Old 04-09-2016, 12:32 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,740,718 times
And what is wrong with open space?

Old 04-10-2016, 02:09 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,217,430 times
On a somewhat related note, on the fast-developing island of Okinawa, some of the last pristine, natural environment left is on military bases where access is restricted. Kind of screwy to think that the military is actually a protector (by default) of some of the natural environment.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:57 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
The Federal government will not sell the land for basic strategic reasons previously identified. Given that reality, where do you propose to site all those new SFRs? Its all so simple in your world- exactly where do you want to see hundreds of thousands of new single family houses?
Indio, Jamul, Thermal, White Water, Banning, Pear Blossom, Mojave, California City, there is a lot of empty land in CA, just not along the coast.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:31 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,337,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Indio, Jamul, Thermal, White Water, Banning, Pear Blossom, Mojave, California City, there is a lot of empty land in CA, just not along the coast.
There's LOTS of empty land along the California coast. LOTS. Protected. Thankfully.
But you probably mean inland from the coastline itself.

Even then, there's lots and lots of [protected] lands. Hope the amount left is never encroached further.

I moved from the Bay to San Diego last fall. I have always gone to Morro Bay a few times annually. This year, I took a boat slip in Morro as well. So split my time between the two places - plus still running up to sail Puget Sound in Washington in the summers.

The Central Coast isn't a very interesting, inviting sailing venue offshore. Rugged, Finicky. Dangerous sometimes. Frustrating often. Few harbors. But now I am growing old and less drama is a pleasure. I spend more and more time ashore. I find the Central Coast, Santa Cruz and Monterey, Big Sur, Estero Bay, Lompoc/Vandenburg, Santa Barbara - all extraordinarily restorative. The space left, the wildness of it all, hard to express. Such a contrast to most people's experience in the multi-millions populated Bay and SoCal metros.

Paddling around shallow Morro Bay preserve and the Elkhorn Slough Estuary between Santa Cruz and Monterey in my little canoe with otters and seals, and so many birds of such variety alongside, peering at me as curiously as I study them. Delightful. Every minute spent. So much California coast is still wild in preservation.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:27 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,566,236 times
There is no shortage of open space along California's coastline.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:07 AM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
There's LOTS of empty land along the California coast. LOTS. Protected. Thankfully.
But you probably mean inland from the coastline itself.

Even then, there's lots and lots of [protected] lands. Hope the amount left is never encroached further.

I moved from the Bay to San Diego last fall. I have always gone to Morro Bay a few times annually. This year, I took a boat slip in Morro as well. So split my time between the two places - plus still running up to sail Puget Sound in Washington in the summers.

The Central Coast isn't a very interesting, inviting sailing venue offshore. Rugged, Finicky. Dangerous sometimes. Frustrating often. Few harbors. But now I am growing old and less drama is a pleasure. I spend more and more time ashore. I find the Central Coast, Santa Cruz and Monterey, Big Sur, Estero Bay, Lompoc/Vandenburg, Santa Barbara - all extraordinarily restorative. The space left, the wildness of it all, hard to express. Such a contrast to most people's experience in the multi-millions populated Bay and SoCal metros.

Paddling around shallow Morro Bay preserve and the Elkhorn Slough Estuary between Santa Cruz and Monterey in my little canoe with otters and seals, and so many birds of such variety alongside, peering at me as curiously as I study them. Delightful. Every minute spent. So much California coast is still wild in preservation.
There were two different and accurate sightings of Otters off LJ recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California