Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 10:41 PM

3 posts, read 19,283 times

Advertisements

CLOVIS UNIFIED IS WONDERFUL
I accidently clicked on "rate this post positively", that was a HUGE mistake. All three of my children attend Clovis Schools and my son just entered 9th grade at Clovis High. My friend's two children attend Buchanan High. My son is ADHD and we have had nothing but wonderful experiences with the entire school district and staff. Our son is excelling, he feels supported and cared for and has opportunities too many to list. My friend 's kids are also doing very well. We are not into sports so much and that is just fine. What I can tell you is that the support system is there if you seek it. It is too bad you had such a horrible experience with Clovis Shools. Have you considered that the problem is not the school, but you. Perhaps you should return to the East Coast.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:55 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Fresno has the highest rate of hard drug addiction per capita in the entire US. Yes, as hard as it is to believe, higher than L.A., higher than N.Y.C. , higher than Philly, higher than Baltimore, etc. Fresno's location - accessible from L.A., the Bay Area, and Las Vegas - helps contribute to this.

Also, for those who care, Fresno is the heart of "Red California". Don't expect to find the liberal atmosphere of the coastal parts of the state. The ambience seems more like Texas than the image of California (which may be why that part of the state has produced so many of California's great country singers of the past) It's real Bible Belt in the San Joaquin Valley.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:29 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Fresno has the highest rate of hard drug addiction per capita in the entire US. Yes, as hard as it is to believe, higher than L.A., higher than N.Y.C. , higher than Philly, higher than Baltimore, etc. Fresno's location - accessible from L.A., the Bay Area, and Las Vegas - helps contribute to this.

Also, for those who care, Fresno is the heart of "Red California". Don't expect to find the liberal atmosphere of the coastal parts of the state. The ambience seems more like Texas than the image of California (which may be why that part of the state has produced so many of California's great country singers of the past) It's real Bible Belt in the San Joaquin Valley.
Yeah - one of my 'net friends told me that CA's reputation for being "liberal" does not take into account conservative inland areas.

Old 02-17-2007, 06:54 PM

22 posts, read 207,551 times
Attn "Familyrocks5"

Did you consider your standards and expectations are what is lacking?? Ignorance is Bliss!! I am so glad that your education standards fit into the expectations and outcomes for Fresno. Good luck living in the real world!!

Old 02-17-2007, 07:33 PM

Default typical rude response.

Quote from familyrocks5; "Have you considered that the problem is not the school, but you. Perhaps you should return to the East Coast"

What a compassionate "family"!! Your kindness and empathy is overwhelming! You're not defensive, are you?

Old 02-18-2007, 06:45 PM

38,891 posts, read 22,875,846 times
Thumbs down If you can't say something nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyrocks5 View Post
CLOVIS UNIFIED IS WONDERFUL
I accidently clicked on "rate this post positively", that was a HUGE mistake. All three of my children attend Clovis Schools and my son just entered 9th grade at Clovis High. My friend's two children attend Buchanan High. My son is ADHD and we have had nothing but wonderful experiences with the entire school district and staff. Our son is excelling, he feels supported and cared for and has opportunities too many to list. My friend 's kids are also doing very well. We are not into sports so much and that is just fine. What I can tell you is that the support system is there if you seek it. It is too bad you had such a horrible experience with Clovis Shools. Have you considered that the problem is not the school, but you. Perhaps you should return to the East Coast.
That last statement was uncalled for.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:14 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks Dennismpat!! You're right!

Old 02-21-2007, 12:10 AM

1 posts, read 5,594 times
The image of Fresno is horrible! Not all of Fresno is bad. The difference between North Fresno and the rest of the city is night and day. Also not to mention the always expanding North side of town as well as a brand new set of schools (Clovis Unified). I live in Northeast Fresno and we have our share of small problems here like anywhere else...but nothing compared to the rest of the town. It is like living in two different cities. As far as the schools..both districts aren't that great. I attended Clovis High School and it was nothing special at all. And knowing PLENTY of people attending other schools in Fresno and Clovis Unified...none of them stand out. I do agree that Clovis is better than Fresno, but not the best. As far as Fresno's overall crime, it has gone down 20% from last year and it continues to go down but is definately not perfect.
If I were to give any advice to anyone moving here I would say, move to the very North side of town. Its always expanding and it's all quality. I've always thought they need to change the name of North Fresno to something else. Because it is quite nice but when you tell someone it's Fresno they automatically label it to what they have heard about the rest of the city.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:25 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,828 times
Fresno and the entire central valley (Visalia, Bakersfield and all other points) stinks in my opinion. I cannot imagine anyone actively moving there. It looks like West Texas- flat hot and dull. Culturally it feels like Oklahoma-very conservative (but not in an Orange County or San Diego way, but a bible belt way). Tons of gangs, theft, crime. LOTS of trailer trash addicted to meth. I find it hard to think of anywhere in the country I would want to live in less. The only advantage is that you are within driving distance (sort of) of cool places. I've been to Fresno on business and it is about the worst place I've visited in the entire United States (although I actually like Bakersfield even less). Visalia has a "cow **** smog" belt.

Old 02-24-2007, 05:35 PM

3 posts, read 130,694 times
Default get on out, then

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
That last statement was uncalled for.
In defense of Familyrocks5... are not most of Family in a Frenzy's statements in this forum rude, sarcastic, and "uncalled for?" I don't see the problem with suggesting that someone who so ceaselessly berates the place might benefit both herself and Fresno by leaving -- I believe she's already written that she will do so, first chance she gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California