U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 11:00 PM

376 posts, read 706,358 times

Advertisements

The Monterey/Pacific Grove area is my favorite place on earth. I love the walk from the wharf all the way to Asilomar Beach, with the dramatic ocean waves and carpet of beautiful flowers along the Lovers Point/Otter Point area. I go there quite often and would like to retire there one day if I can afford it.

That being said, I feel like making a change for my next trip, which will be the week of April 10. I still want a coastal vacation. I would prefer no big crowds, maybe something more remote with fewer visitors. At the same time, however, I don't want to be completely isolated: a grocery store, and some places with takeout food would be good, and since I'm a solo female, I don't think I'd feel totally comfortable if I were staying at a remote house with no people around for miles.

Renting a house so I could cook is an option, and I'm good with staying in a hotel as long as there are food options available (delis, grocery stores, cafés, takeout - wouldn't feel comfortable eating in quaint romantic restaurants on my own). But either way, I would love to be right on the ocean and am willing to pay up to $500/night for oceanfront. Quiet walks along the beach, with lots of time for reflection, reading, and rest is what my goal is for this trip. I love the rugged types of ocean views the best, like MRY, but am open to quieter waves and Sandy beaches.

Any recommendations for coastal towns? NorCal or SoCal, doesn't matter. I will be there for a week and am not opposed to stating 3-4 nights in two different places. Thanks for the advice!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 11:05 PM

5,623 posts, read 6,996,066 times
I really like Pismo/Grover Beach. Look into AirBnbs there.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:23 PM

18,711 posts, read 26,756,953 times
I think you should come to the far north coast. Although, you can never be sure it won't rain. If you can deal with that, this is what I'd do:

Rent a room at the Best Western in Brookings, OR. It's just across the CA border basically. It's inexpensive, but right on the ocean. Also pet friendly.

Brookings Hotels| BEST WESTERN PLUS Beachfront Inn| Brookings, Oregon

Then, rain or shine, you can enjoy the giant redwood forest. The tree canopy is so thick, that you would hardly feel the rain, and even if it's really windy at the coast, it's protected in the woods.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=413

Brookings is a very charming town with restaurants and shopping.

Brookings, OR - Official Website

When you go to the Jedediah Smith redwoods, you might want to come see the lighthouse in Crescent City. They post the tour schedules on their facebook page. You can only reach the lighthouse during low tide:

https://www.facebook.com/BatteryPointLighthouse/

You can see lots of seals and sea lions at the harbor. There's a restaurant there where you can eat, and before and afterwards, see the pinnipeds up close:

Crescent City Harbor District

Chart Room | Seafood Restaurant

There is a marine mammal rescue center and you can see the pinnipeds through the fence, even if they're closed, if any have been recently rescued:

Northcoast Marine Mammal Center | Rescue, Rehabilitate, Release and Educate

The tall ships will be here April 29 - May 3rd with tours. Not sure if you'll miss that.

Grays Harbor Historical Seaport Authority

Anyway, it may be farther north than you wanted to go, but it would be different. It's amazingly beautiful and peaceful. :-)

Old 03-25-2016, 02:34 AM

7,463 posts, read 5,469,931 times
Some other ideas that might fit the bill, although not all in California:

Top Coastal Inn Escapes - Sunset

Best Unsung Beach Towns - Sunset

http://theculturetrip.com/north-amer...shingtontravel

If you're open to Oregon, I agree with NoMoreSnow -- head north. I have always loved the Oregon Coast -- Cannon Beach has some great oceanfront inns if you want upscale and galleries. There are also a lot of rental houses there. It's busy in the summer months, but I've stayed in Cannon Beach in April and found it very cozy and quiet. It may rain, but a storm over Haystack Rock is beautiful to watch from beside the fire in your hotel room. http://www.cannonbeach.org/ Cannon Beach is an easy drive from the Portland airport. The surrounding forests are magical.

But when I want to just have alone time, I head for the Overleaf Lodge in Yachats Oregon: Yachats Oregon Lodging At Its Finest | Overleaf Lodge & Spa They have hotel rooms (nice but nothing fancy) and some cabins.

Call and describe what you want, and they'll recommend the best room option. Yachats is a tiny little town but has everything you need for a weekend, a week, or longer....including amazing walks in the surrounding state parks. It is very quiet and peaceful there, but it's a longer (although beautiful) drive from Portland.

Oh dang, now you've got ME wanting a get away too!

Last edited by RosieSD; 03-25-2016 at 02:42 AM..

Old 03-25-2016, 09:05 AM

6,563 posts, read 16,232,930 times
You can also go further south. Cambria is a nice little town, with hotels right on the beach.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I think you should come to the far north coast. Although, you can never be sure it won't rain. If you can deal with that, this is what I'd do:

Rent a room at the Best Western in Brookings, OR. It's just across the CA border basically. It's inexpensive, but right on the ocean. Also pet friendly.

Brookings Hotels| BEST WESTERN PLUS Beachfront Inn| Brookings, Oregon

Then, rain or shine, you can enjoy the giant redwood forest. The tree canopy is so thick, that you would hardly feel the rain, and even if it's really windy at the coast, it's protected in the woods.

Jedediah Smith Redwoods SP

Brookings is a very charming town with restaurants and shopping.

Brookings, OR - Official Website

When you go to the Jedediah Smith redwoods, you might want to come see the lighthouse in Crescent City. They post the tour schedules on their facebook page. You can only reach the lighthouse during low tide:

https://www.facebook.com/BatteryPointLighthouse/

You can see lots of seals and sea lions at the harbor. There's a restaurant there where you can eat, and before and afterwards, see the pinnipeds up close:

Crescent City Harbor District

Chart Room | Seafood Restaurant

There is a marine mammal rescue center and you can see the pinnipeds through the fence, even if they're closed, if any have been recently rescued:

Northcoast Marine Mammal Center | Rescue, Rehabilitate, Release and Educate

The tall ships will be here April 29 - May 3rd with tours. Not sure if you'll miss that.

Grays Harbor Historical Seaport Authority

Anyway, it may be farther north than you wanted to go, but it would be different. It's amazingly beautiful and peaceful. :-)

Holy cow, I looked at some pictures of Brookings and Crescent City and they are both gorgeous!

Both look like they offer the kinds of coastlines that I prefer. Rain doesn't bother me a bit. I had been thinking about northern parts of California, but my thoughts hadn't really gone farther north than Fort Bragg because I didn't know how populated the towns were when you got farther north. I'm a bit ashamed that I didn't think about Oregon.

What's the best way to get there by plane (former Californian, living in TX now): fly into Portland and drive south, or fly into a northern California airport (SFO? Sacramento?) and drive south?

Definitely an option I'm going to consider - thanks again.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Some other ideas that might fit the bill, although not all in California:

Top Coastal Inn Escapes - Sunset

Best Unsung Beach Towns - Sunset

The 10 Most Beautiful Towns on the West Coast

If you're open to Oregon, I agree with NoMoreSnow -- head north. I have always loved the Oregon Coast -- Cannon Beach has some great oceanfront inns if you want upscale and galleries. There are also a lot of rental houses there. It's busy in the summer months, but I've stayed in Cannon Beach in April and found it very cozy and quiet. It may rain, but a storm over Haystack Rock is beautiful to watch from beside the fire in your hotel room. Cannon Beach, Oregon - Cannon Beach Chamber of Commerce and Information Center | Cannon Beach, OR - Cannon Beach Cannon Beach is an easy drive from the Portland airport. The surrounding forests are magical.

But when I want to just have alone time, I head for the Overleaf Lodge in Yachats Oregon: Yachats Oregon Lodging At Its Finest | Overleaf Lodge & Spa They have hotel rooms (nice but nothing fancy) and some cabins.

Call and describe what you want, and they'll recommend the best room option. Yachats is a tiny little town but has everything you need for a weekend, a week, or longer....including amazing walks in the surrounding state parks. It is very quiet and peaceful there, but it's a longer (although beautiful) drive from Portland.

Oh dang, now you've got ME wanting a get away too!

Oh my goodness, Cannon Beach looks amazing too! Maybe I'll have to think about Oregon instead of CA. The only downside (this sounds terrible, I know...) I have relatives in the Portland area, and I would either feel obligated to visit them - which takes me away from the beach - or feel guilty because I ignored them when I was so close!

Old 03-25-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
You can also go further south. Cambria is a nice little town, with hotels right on the beach.

Yes, I have been to Cambria several times and I agree with your assessment. I always liked The Sow's Ear restaurant, with their cute little flowerpots that they baked bread in. Cambria also had a cute grocery store, I think it was called The Cookie Jar. Thanks for the suggestion...I forget how beautiful that area is, and I haven't been there in several years. Would be interesting to see how much it has grown.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I really like Pismo/Grover Beach. Look into AirBnbs there.

I have heard of Pismo but haven't been there before. The beach looks nice and unspoiled. I'll look into it...thanks for the suggestion!

Old 03-25-2016, 12:19 PM

5,623 posts, read 6,996,066 times
Pismo is pretty great. It's close to SLO if you want restaurant/nightlife choices, as well as the Paso Robles wine country area, but the town itself is very 1960s, 'classic' California and it's super laid back. Some friends and I rented a condo right on the beach a few years back for Memorial Day weekend and it wasn't even that crowded. It's about halfway between LA and San Francisco, so that gives you plenty of flight options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California