U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite area of the Central Valley?
Kern County (Bakersfield, Delano, Tehachapi Mountains) 2 5.88%
Kings & Tulare Counties (Hanford, Visalia, Lemoore, Tulare, Porterville) 4 11.76%
Fresno CSA (Fresno & Madera Counties, including Fresno, Madera, Clovis, Oakhurst, Selma) 3 8.82%
Merced County (Merced, Atwater, Livingston) 1 2.94%
Stanislaus County (Modesto, Turlock, Oakdale, Patterson) 4 11.76%
San Joaquin County (Stockton, Lodi, Tracy, Manteca, Escalon) 3 8.82%
Sutter & Yuba Counties (Marysville, Yuba City) 0 0%
Glenn & Colusa Counties (Arbuckle, Williams, Willows) 1 2.94%
Butte County (Chico, Paradise, Oroville) 11 32.35%
Tehama & southern Shasta Counties (Redding, Anderson, Red Bluff, Corning, Los Molinos) 5 14.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-25-2016, 11:34 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,736,875 times

Advertisements

I'm not including the Sacramento area (Sacramento, Davis, Woodland, Solano County, Roseville, etc.) because it's the obvious alpha metropolis of the Central Valley. My interest in this thread is the smaller, often lesser known, cities in the Central Valley.

Considering things such as overall/general quality of life, educational levels, public education, natural features (or proximity to natural features), restaurants/cuisine, traffic, proximity to other cities (even to Sacramento, or to the Bay Area, L.A., etc.)... Or, considering whatever you choose to consider. What are your favorite areas or perceived "best" areas of the Central Valley? This question is very "general" on purpose because I'm curious to see the responses from other posters in other parts of California and beyond.

Also, I've created a poll, and only one is allowed vote per poster. However, you can list as many as you want when you type your answer.

I'll start: I voted for San Joaquin County for its diverse array of communities, generally good roads (for the Central Valley), wine country, old bridges, and having fairly easy proximity to both the Bay Area and Sacramento. Lodi, in particular, has a charming downtown.

My second place is Stanislaus County, which has pretty much the same amenities as San Joaquin County, sans a wine country; distance from the Bay Area and Sacramento is also farther, but then the cost of living is still slightly less than in San Joaquin County. Turlock and Oakdale, in particular, have charming, "Americana" sort of downtowns.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 03-25-2016 at 11:49 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 01:20 AM

18,700 posts, read 26,599,860 times
I chose Chico/Paradise because it's pretty and there is decent entertainment and shopping, and has a university for diversity and young energy, educational opportunities for the community (not just students), great outdoor recreation.

The Redding area is also very pretty and has some decent entertainment, great outdoor recreation, but has no university and is horribly hot.

Other areas are not as pleasing to the eye to me, or they don't have a large college/university, or they're too isolated for me.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:39 AM

13,707 posts, read 26,375,205 times
I chose Modesto/Stanislaus because I don't know why.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:46 PM

742 posts, read 693,995 times
I chose Kings & Tulare Counties since I lived in Visalia and worked in Hanford.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:28 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,144,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
I chose Kings & Tulare Counties since I lived in Visalia and worked in Hanford.
What was living in Visalia like for you?

Old 04-01-2016, 03:03 PM

3,382 posts, read 5,304,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I chose Modesto/Stanislaus because I don't know why.
I chose it as well being my hometown is Oakdale and I love that NE area of Stanislaus County. Yeah, Butte County is prettier, but if you enjoyed your childhood home you never get over it.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:29 PM

369 posts, read 326,800 times
I picked fresno because it is essentially the most developed of all on the list. Arguably only Sacramento would probably be ahead. It has all the amenities of living in a populated area--unfortunately crime included, but for the most part when visiting friends I never feel deprived. With all the big projects going on there right now, I would definitely keep a close eye on how things are over there in the upcoming years. The downtown rejuvenation project is underway and things are looking positive. Many new developments, and when/if the high speed rail is still on track to finish from Sj to fresno within the next 10 years, its a no brainer.

All the other choices seem too country. Ive been to most of them. Very rural, not as developed in comparison. Bakersfield is prob the next most developed. Followed by Merced. All the other options, most of the folks I bet have to work or travel to the next biggest city to them for employment or amenities.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:16 AM

33,358 posts, read 18,435,919 times
I picked Modesto/Stanislaus as well, since I lived in Sacramento many years ago and while I lived up there, I would sometimes make weekend trips to Modesto. I found the area to be pretty well-developed with decent amenities for the locals like shopping (Vintage Faire Mall) and dining options. If I didn't live in Sacramento, I would have chosen to live in Modesto. But my job was in Sacramento so that's where I ended up instead.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:41 AM

1,313 posts, read 6,023,451 times
My assessment of "area" would be smaller than what the poll implies. Take Butte County, for example. Chico would rate near the top, but Oroville near the bottom. Being in EXACTLY the right place is critical in the Central Valley. Once you leave your microcosm of preference, you may find yourself at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:56 AM

3,382 posts, read 5,304,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
My assessment of "area" would be smaller than what the poll implies. Take Butte County, for example. Chico would rate near the top, but Oroville near the bottom. Being in EXACTLY the right place is critical in the Central Valley. Once you leave your microcosm of preference, you may find yourself at the opposite end of the spectrum.
Oroville is physically one of the nicer spots in the valley. Table Mountain, the Feather River, Lake Oroville, the Sierra foothills just a couple miles out of town. Maybe be a lot of poor people here, but as far as a natural setting goes it has Chico beat quite handily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California