Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2016, 07:07 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
That will only keep them afloat in the safety net though right? I still imagine a lot of struggle at the bottom. I don't think that will ever go away.
When has this not been true is all of history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 07:14 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,615,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
When has this not been true is all of history?
I agree.

Ultimately, this whole $15 minimum wage thing will neither hurt not help those at the bottom. We will simply find ourselves demanding $20 minimum wage in 2030.

For some reason people think we need to raise the minimum wage to make things better. But it never does.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:23 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,164,155 times
Quote:
That will only keep them afloat in the safety net though right?
No, you have it backwards. Once the minimum wage equals the living wage, increasing the wage annually for inflation keeps the working poor one step above the safety net, not in it.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I agree.

Ultimately, this whole $15 minimum wage thing will neither hurt not help those at the bottom. We will simply find ourselves demanding $20 minimum wage in 2030.

For some reason people think we need to raise the minimum wage to make things better. But it never does.
Mmm, disagree. It helps keep them from falling even further down the rat hole.

And yes, of course it needs to be raised again and again. Our monetary / economic system requires inflation to be healthy. Everything has to continually struggle up.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
No, you have it backwards. Once the minimum wage equals the living wage, increasing the wage annually for inflation keeps the working poor one step above the safety net, not in it.
Once again, I prognosticate that soon we will necessarily evolve to Basic Income Guarantee (B.I.G.) / Guaranteed Minimum Income (G.M.I.) for all persons, regardless of working at all.

The intelligence of this concept is agreed upon by conservative, liberal, and libertarian economists. It WILL happen. It has to. It works by eliminating every other kind of social safety net (except health care). All welfare: gone.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Once again, I prognosticate that soon we will necessarily evolve to Basic Income Guarantee (B.I.G.) / Guaranteed Minimum Income (G.M.I.) for all persons, regardless of working at all.

The intelligence of this concept is agreed upon by conservative, liberal, and libertarian economists. It WILL happen. It has to. It works by eliminating every other kind of social safety net (except health care). All welfare: gone.
Wouldn't B.I.G. be a form of welfare? And therefore all welfare would not be gone?

Old 03-30-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
At this level is it predicted that the working poor will no longer be receiving and qualifying for welfare? If so I agree. But I have a hard time believing that even with the increases annually the majority of the working poor will not still qualify for welfare. That would mean they are still very much in the safety net.

And even if they are not receiving benefits. They are still likely making the same income as they were when receiving the benefits. Which would mean nothing has changed. They are still just as poor.

For example:

Worker now: Makes $1200 a month + receives $800 a month in welfare benefits = $2000 a month income

Worker in 5 years: Makes $2000 a month + receives $0 a month in welfare (does not qualify) = $2000 a month income.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Wouldn't B.I.G. be a form of welfare? And therefore all welfare would not be gone?
No, not welfare. Not at all. You'll find it fascinating to read about. The Guaranteed Minimum will be allocated to every citizen regardless of other income. Bill Gates and Warren Buffet would receive the same as Joe Sixpack and Jane Muscatel. It is projected to provide a living minimum base from which base each recipient can then either merely survive off the streets in shelter with beans and rice, or lever up through part-time or full time work, be it skilled or unskilled. Alcoholic unemployed, burger flippers, bus drivers, plumbers, software code writers, physicians, lawyers, Wall Street bankers - all will get the exact same guaranteed minimum. Economic studies project that it will cost less than all current forms of welfare when totaled in the budget. That's how it gets paid for. Very impressive.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
No, not welfare. Not at all. You'll find it fascinating to read about. The Guaranteed Minimum will be allocated to every citizen regardless of other income. Bill Gates and Warren Buffet would receive the same as Joe Sixpack and Jane Muscatel. It is projected to provide a living minimum base from which base each recipient can then either merely survive off the streets in shelter with beans and rice, or lever up through part-time or full time work, be it skilled or unskilled. Alcoholic unemployed, burger flippers, bus drivers, plumbers, software code writers, physicians, lawyers, Wall Street bankers - all will get the exact same guaranteed minimum. Economic studies project that it will cost less than all current forms of welfare when totaled in the budget. That's how it gets paid for. Very impressive.
I fail to see how this changes any thing then. If every single citizen receives this extra minimum income, then how in the heck would those at the lower end ever move up? Those working minimum wage jobs and receiving the BIG benefit are still competing with those making a dollar or two over minimum wage and also receiving the BIG benefit. And those making a couple bucks over minimum wage and receiving the BIG benefit compete with those making several dollars over minimum and receiving the BIG benefit. And
it goes on and on all the way up to the millionaires.

I have not read deeply into it yet, but I find it hard to believe this will solve the problem. A problem in which I believe likely has not solution to begin with.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:55 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,648,438 times
Better build a BIG wall before in acting B.I.G.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California