U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 04:59 PM

5 posts, read 8,090 times

Advertisements

Hi, my wife and I can't stand the 50below 5 month winters, or 3 months of humid, sweat running,
mosquitos biting summers. Other than that (winter very slightly exaggerated) spring, fall, schools
3rd best place to live in the country-best schools! liberal....it's great. Unless you're retired, want to
get outside most of the year, have no kids and gladly paid taxes so others could get *** educ. we
want to move to a safe, reasonably priced for CA to enjoy a decade or so. Help...we found out about
COOL MEDITERANIAN CLIMATE.... now we need a few suggestions, don't want to be in over 100,000
pop. Smaller, neighborly, sidewalks, bikeways, 2-SMALL DOGS go with us please help with ideas
of where to live for us to check out. tx. tx. tx. Art & Lil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 05:16 PM

8,273 posts, read 10,521,331 times
Price point? Rent or buy? House, condo, or apartment?

Old 03-27-2016, 09:28 PM

Buy Condo, House in COHousing complex, single floor living is the key...Price?
What will 400K get us? We really would like a COOL MEDITERANIAN climate.

Had not heard the term before.

We've been seriously looking (15+ hours week on computer) for last 6 months.
Have had 3 different realtors "looking" e-mailing anything in 55+ Gated Communities with
more rules than kindergarten, and similar in idiocy, & 10-15x3 wk. No more.

one recommendation was ---- Luis Peripo?

Old 03-27-2016, 09:47 PM

7,031 posts, read 3,752,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil&Art View Post
What will 400K get us?
Perhaps you mean San Luis Obispo in California's Central Coast? Visit SLO | San Luis Obispo CA - the Happiest Place in America

That would be a nice choice. Look San Luis Obispo up on Google map, then look for nearby towns too. I'm not sure that you'll find a ton of options for $400,000 in San Luis Obispo, but you might find more in towns like Santa Maria and Lompoc. Paseo Robles, which is north of SLO, might also be worth a look.

Redfin.com and Zillow.com are two good resources. Pop in your budget and a town, and then you can see a few examples of what $400,000 will buy, shown on a map. Heck, you can search the entire state of California on those sites if you want to. Just be aware that once you get too far inland, the "Cool" mediterranean climate gets decidedly warmer.

However, perhaps the best thing to do is to invest a couple of weeks putting boots on the ground. Fly out to San Diego and drive up the coast from there -- Orange County, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, Central Coast, San Francisco, Santa Rosa, all the ways up to Eureka. They all can be said to have "mediterranean" climates (some drier or cooler than others). But they are all very different places.

Only you and your spouse can determine where you'd feel most comfortable living. Climate is only a starting point.

Good luck with your search!

Last edited by RosieSD; 03-27-2016 at 09:59 PM..

Old 03-27-2016, 10:06 PM

4,736 posts, read 5,942,334 times
Quote:
What will 400K get us? We really would like a COOL MEDITERANIAN climate.

Had not heard the term before.

We've been seriously looking (15+ hours week on computer) for last 6 months.
Have had 3 different realtors "looking" e-mailing anything in 55+ Gated Communities with
more rules than kindergarten, and similar in idiocy, & 10-15x3 wk. No more.

If you have any interest in Orange County, you might want to checkout Laguna Woods, a 55+ city. It's just a few miles from the ocean. The only caveat is that HOA fees tend to run high there at about $550-$700+ per month:

Laguna Woods Village Southern California Retirement Community

Here's as an example of what you can get for just under $400K. It's a single story unit ("cottage"):
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Laguna-Woo.../home/63667247

This single story LW home is listed at $179,000, but the HOA fees are very high at $745/month.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Laguna-Woo.../home/85089680

Old 03-27-2016, 10:08 PM

1,723 posts, read 1,029,248 times
Here are two areas that might suit you.
I was going to add Santa Barbara and Monterey and Santa Cruz county but, at least on the trulia listings there's nothing (or nothing worth looking at) that is in your price range.

San Luis Obispo Homes for sale - California real estate | Trulia

Cambria Homes for sale - California real estate | Trulia

Old 03-27-2016, 10:09 PM

Dear Rosie, what a sweetheart...thank you for all the great suggestions, ideas, & taking a trip.

We do plan on it, just need some advice like yours to have some stopping points.

Thanks so very much. Good bye from L. Wobegon where all the women are strong!!! Lil

Old 03-27-2016, 10:19 PM

To all of you who have responded, My heart is full of the good energy (& your thoughts and time)
in responding so quickly with such great suggestions.

Thank you, I have chronic Lyme Disease & due to late diagnosis, trtments not working, so
my time is limited and I want to enjoy it in a laid back, comfortable place & temperatures.
High humidity and temps as well as extreme cold are a b**ch.

It's folks like you who make my day. With much gratitude, Lil

Old 03-27-2016, 10:31 PM

4,736 posts, read 5,942,334 times
Quote:
To all of you who have responded, My heart is full of the good energy (& your thoughts and time)
in responding so quickly with such great suggestions.

Thank you, I have chronic Lyme Disease & due to late diagnosis, trtments not working, so
my time is limited and I want to enjoy it in a laid back, comfortable place & temperatures.
High humidity and temps as well as extreme cold are a b**ch.

It's folks like you who make my day. With much gratitude, Lil
I'm very sorry to hear about your health problem. If it's of any help to you in making your decision, know that Laguna Woods is located near a hospital, with some gates actually being located right across the street from it.

LW is also known for offering a wide variety of activities. I'm pretty sure, but not certain, that LW provides transportation for doctor's visits, if that's needed at any point, as well as to entertainment and shopping sites.

There's also a really popular health food store & restaurant there, Mother's Market & Kitchen. It's just expanded:
Mother's Market gets a facelift - The Orange County Register

Mother's has several locations in OC.

Last edited by pacific2; 03-27-2016 at 10:41 PM..

Old 03-27-2016, 11:08 PM

7,031 posts, read 3,752,770 times
Lil,
I also am sorry to hear about your health issues. Laguna would also be a great choice.

In the San Diego forum, we have a sometime poster who moved to San Diego after also struggling with Lyme disease. I believe that she has found that her condition is much improved since moving here. Should you be interested in San Diego County, some nice areas include: Poway, Rancho Bernardo, San Marcos, Carlsbad, Scripps Ranch, Claremont Mesa, La Mesa, Santee, and Rancho San Diego. Rancho Bernardo and San Marcos have a number of 55+ communities. We also have a number of 55+ rentals throughout the county. But, you should be able to find a "regular"(non-55+) townhouse or condo in your price range in many of these communities. Sadly, there won't be many single family homes under $400,000 in those areas, but never say never.

Many people love a town called Temecula, which is just north of San Diego County and west of Orange County in Riverside. Near Temecula is another town called Murrietta. Housing is less expensive in both towns than more coastal areas, but because they are both inland, they do get warm in the summer. But it is a dry heat (no humidity), most homes have air conditioning and in an hour or so, you can head to the coast and be sitting on the beach if you need a change. Just some other ideas to check out. Here are a few examples of homes that are currently listed in your price range in that area:

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale...t/11_zm/0_mmm/

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale...t/13_zm/0_mmm/

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale...t/10_zm/0_mmm/

Have you thought about perhaps renting for a year, just to get an idea of the area you like, before committing to buying?

Last edited by RosieSD; 03-27-2016 at 11:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or