Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2016, 07:53 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You raised the case of grocery price increases (specifically: beef). I've been wondering about that for years. The price of dairy, most noticeably in my shopping--cheese, has increased 30-40% in the last 5 years or so, roughly. Yet there's never been any discussion in the media about inflation, which we keep being told is very low. So what's going on? I asked at one of my local grocery stores, a small, independently-owned one, and they told me it was due to transportation costs. (This was back when gas prices were peaking.) But shortly after that, gas prices plunged, but prices kept going up.

Can anyone explain what's going on? Prices for similar products have gone up in other stores, too (maybe not quite as much as the mom-and-pop store), so it's not just that one store.
Maybe because other commodities have dropped at the same time, ie. gasoline. Also, with no increase in wages there hasn't been enough demand to push prices higher across the economy.

Here's a much better explanation than I can offer:

Forbes Welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 08:35 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Maybe because other commodities have dropped at the same time, ie. gasoline. Also, with no increase in wages there hasn't been enough demand to push prices higher across the economy.

Here's a much better explanation than I can offer:

Forbes Welcome
OK, thanks. That explains one half of my question. The other half is: why are grocery prices going up? What is causing them, especially meat and dairy--not sure about fruit and produce, to go up, and sharply, in the case of certain commodities?

Old 12-26-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, thanks. That explains one half of my question. The other half is: why are grocery prices going up? What is causing them, especially meat and dairy--not sure about fruit and produce, to go up, and sharply, in the case of certain commodities?
I don't have a clue, last month the price of avocados doubled to $2.00 each, now they are back down to about $1.10. I think there's a lot of game playing in some commodity markets with contrived shortages etc.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
I'd love to hear the rationale for this one .
Me too, but I'm not going to hold my breath

Old 12-27-2016, 07:29 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Me too, but I'm not going to hold my breath
Supply and Demand, Crop problems like they had with Avocados a short while back and of course ..... greed.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:53 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Supply and Demand, Crop problems like they had with Avocados a short while back and of course ..... greed.
Democrats hate avocados? Who knew?

Old 12-27-2016, 07:58 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,331,765 times
Quote:
I think there's a lot of game playing in some commodity markets with contrived shortages etc.
That's right. Yes there is. Paper traders, day traders, hedge funds, etc. all engage in various amounts of manipulation, collusion, etc. Especially in the fuel industry. Make no mistake about it. I can name three fuel companies based just in California alone who keep their doors open almost solely because of those types of business practices.

That's how they survive. Not to mention the army of support staff many of them have and even more peoples 401(k) accounts.

You can expect to see more of that volatility and price spikes in the next few years with the incoming business friendly Trump Administration.

You can complain about it (won't do any good), waste everyones time with another theater showing of 'an investigation' (let me tell you something......these guys are masters at covering their tracks and paying off the right people to make trouble go away....no one ever has and never will be prosecuted much less convicted even though every one of these activities are their daily bread and butter) or join the party and get invested. Sure you'll be paying more like everyone else. But the dividends will more than offset it.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:06 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Democrats hate avocados? Who knew?
???????????????????? Who said anything about Dems?

Old 12-27-2016, 11:19 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
???????????????????? Who said anything about Dems?
You did. The comments are part of a string following your comment here:
Quote:
Except the greedy corporations are helped more by Dems than Republicanism which is why they support Dems far more. You are helping them.

OK both parties do so, just the dens more.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:24 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
I don't have a clue, last month the price of avocados doubled to $2.00 each, now they are back down to about $1.10. I think there's a lot of game playing in some commodity markets with contrived shortages etc.
There was a problem w/the avocado crop in Mexico a couple of months back; that explains that, at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California