Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 10:06 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,236,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
lol no they don't. They set the salary as low as they can and only increase it if they can't find people who will work for what they are offering
And that fits the needs of their business. They get to decide what the needs are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 10:21 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,236,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
First, let me remind you of what I said

There is nothing in your link that disputes what I said, so what you posted was basically irrelevant.

3. Can LLEAs make stops or arrests for civil immigration violations?
No. Ordinarily, local and state law enforcement can only make a stop or arrest for criminal violations. The United States Supreme Court in Arizona v. United States held that there is no basis for LLEAs to arrest on suspicion that the individual is unlawfully present or in violation of other civil immigration laws. LLEAs lack authority to make civil immigration arrests because Congress has assigned that responsibility exclusively to federal agents. Even an investigatory stop must be based on reasonable suspicion that “person apprehended is committing or has committed a crime.” This requirement also applies to prolonged detention after a lawful stop or arrest. “[P]ossible criminality is key to any Terry investigatory stop or prolonged detention. Absent suspicion that a suspect is engaged in, or is about to engage in, criminal activity, law enforcement may not stop or detain an individual.” Suspicion or knowledge of unlawful presence does not justify a stop by LLEAs.17

4. If there is probable cause of civil immigration violations, can an LLEA prolong detention or make an arrest on that basis? No. Probable cause of immigration violations is not the only question regarding an LLEAs’ authority to arrest or postpone someone’s release based on alleged immigration offenses. A second, more fundamental question is whether an LLEA has authority to make an arrest for civil immigration violations at all, which they generally do not. A determination of whether someone is subject to deportation is a civil immigration issue outside the arrest authority of local law enforcement. LLEAs cannot detain someone based on immigration status; state and local authority to make independent arrests for civil immigration violations is preempted by federal law. As the Supreme Court said in Arizona v. U.S., “Congress has put in place a system in which state officers may not make warrantless arrests of aliens based on possible removability except in specific, limited circumstances…If the police stop someone
based on nothing more than possible removability, the usual predicate for an arrest is absent.”
Moreover, Arizona and subsequent decisions have made clear that even a brief detention on the basis of
immigration status following a lawful stop or arrest may be impermissible.

Here's the source, if you don't trust it, or don't believe it, then ask a local cop these two questions:

1) can you detain a person for the sole person of determining their citizenship?
2) can you enter a workplace and demand that workers prove that they are citizens?
Notice that it applies to when it is not known the are here illegally.

LLEAs are generally not authorized to make arrests for civil immigration violations (such as unlawful presence in the United States). The Supreme Court, in Arizona v. United States, clarified that local law enforcement agents do not have authority to stop or detain people for suspected violations of civil immigration law.4 Although authority to arrest is generally a matter of state law,5 the Supreme Court struck down an Arizona law that sought to authorize detention based on suspicion of immigration violations, finding that such authority was preempted by federal law.6 LLEAs generally have authority to enforce criminal laws, not civil immigration law.7

This is different than a case where they know they are here illegally.

This is by a group that in effect supports illegal immigration and is providing very specific issues, not the totality of the subject.

https://www.justice.gov/usam/criminal-resource-manual-1918-arrest-illegal-aliens-state-and-local-officers

1918. Arrest Of Illegal Aliens By State And Local Officers

Subsection 1324(c) of Title 8 specifically authorizes state and local officers "whose duty it is to enforce criminal laws" to make arrests for violations of 8 U.S.C. § 1324. There is also a general federal statute which authorizes certain local officials to make arrests for violations of federal statutes, 18 U.S.C. § 3041. The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals has held that 18 U.S.C. § 3041 authorizes those local officials to issue process for the arrest, to be executed by law enforcement officers. See United States v. Bowdach, 561 F.2d 1160, 1168 (5th Cir. 1977).

Rule 4(a)(1) of the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure provides that an arrest warrant "shall be executed by a marshal or by some other officer authorized by law." The phrase, "some other officer," includes state and local officers. Bowdach, supra.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:38 PM

42,717 posts, read 25,880,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Notice that it applies to when it is not known the are here illegally.
And that is what I have been talking about, people whose immigration status is not known to LE., if you think otherwise, go back and read my original post. I don't make stuff up, I spent most of my adult life working in law enforcement. I've been retired several years and laws change so I always try to check to try to make sure that I'm right. I gave you accurate information with source data and you keep wandering off into other areas of federal immigration law. You aren't proving me wrong, you are just talking about different issues.

Old 07-02-2017, 01:50 PM

26,577 posts, read 26,445,339 times
More than half a million Angelenos stand to get a raise this weekend, making the city the latest testing ground in the drive to boost incomes of bottom-rung workers:

Workers celebrate L.A.'s new $12 minimum wage, businesses brace for impact - LA Times

Old 07-02-2017, 08:04 PM

11 posts, read 16,239 times
O thank goodness finally, people think this is the worst thing every but it was a well needed change.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:18 AM

1,859 posts, read 2,192,825 times
Well this applies to business with more than 26 employees which will exempt a lot of businesses. While raising the minimum wage sounds good to adjust for the cost of living (never mind savings or investing), but I feel like it's a little short-sighted. The higher cost of living is a symptom and I would rather policies focus on what is causing it. I suppose raising the minimum wage will give some relief, but I don't think it's all that it's cracked up to be.

As for businesses fleeing California, I'm just not seeing it. Our real estate market continues to outpace the nation and the unemployment number continues to decline. Everything isn't perfect, but I don't think it's as dire as folks think.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:11 AM

919 posts, read 783,211 times
very true kwong, my business is booming and we can't find enough guys. Pay no attention to these comments like RIP California business, they've been saying this forever.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:52 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,283,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
Well this applies to business with more than 26 employees which will exempt a lot of businesses. While raising the minimum wage sounds good to adjust for the cost of living (never mind savings or investing), but I feel like it's a little short-sighted. The higher cost of living is a symptom and I would rather policies focus on what is causing it. I suppose raising the minimum wage will give some relief, but I don't think it's all that it's cracked up to be.

As for businesses fleeing California, I'm just not seeing it. Our real estate market continues to outpace the nation and the unemployment number continues to decline. Everything isn't perfect, but I don't think it's as dire as folks think.
Cost of living in CA especially in SF and L.A has always been high or higher .
You are right that politicians are just trying to take the easy way out . It's so easy to just sign a law saying the minimum wage will now be $15 hr.
It's harder to fix what is causing it as you said .

In my opinion though I don't think we should be focusing on making California affordable for anyone that wants to live here . If people have the goal of working a minimum wage job long term there are many better places they could live and struggle less or need less welfare than If they live in CA.

It's one thing if you are living with family and working min wage while going to school to eventually get a higher paying job .
It's another if you are someone with kids and no education and trying to work a min wage job to support a family .

The message from the leaders of course is politically correct . They tell people,"we are going to make California affordable for everyone "

I had read that the Mayor of L.A said this . "We won't stop until L.A is affordable for everyone "
That's just never going to happen so they aren't being honest .

Old 07-07-2017, 01:38 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,937,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
More than half a million Angelenos stand to get a raise this weekend, making the city the latest testing ground in the drive to boost incomes of bottom-rung workers:

Workers celebrate L.A.'s new $12 minimum wage, businesses brace for impact - LA Times
New study casts doubt on the benefit of Seattle's $15 minimum wage - Jun. 26, 2017

Just replace Seattle with LA, and you will find the same results in 2021.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:09 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,283,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
New study casts doubt on the benefit of Seattle's $15 minimum wage - Jun. 26, 2017

Just replace Seattle with LA, and you will find the same results in 2021.
I've heard it will be worst in L.A because L.A has more minimum wage workers versus Seattle.
Seattle population is more educated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California