Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2016, 10:58 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,125,155 times

Advertisements

So the guys that stole and stripped my car that I worked hard for should get job training and community service?? That's your idea on stopping crime? Well I think the detectives agree with you they didn't even try and find the thieves after my car was dumped in Santa Ana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 11:00 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,292,552 times
Its obvious to everyone but a liberal when criminals are in jail their not committing crimes.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:08 PM

42,711 posts, read 25,867,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
So the guys that stole and stripped my car that I worked hard for should get job training and community service?? That's your idea on stopping crime? Well I think the detectives agree with you they didn't even try and find the thieves after my car was dumped in Santa Ana.
Get lo-jack or at least a steering wheel immobilizer and don't count on the cops to devote any resources to finding your car.

Yes, I think it makes sense to try to divert non-violent offenders, especially young ones. Why do you find that so offensive? Tell me which of the following has the better chance of keeping a car thief from re-offending.

1) community service, GPS monitoring, victim restitution with mandatory goals in order to discharge probation such as job training or obtaining a GED. Short terms of incarceration for violating the rules of probation.

3) A 2 year state prison sentence (he will do 8 months) and he will be locked up with hard core criminals. In order to survive he has to join a gang even if he didn't belong to one on the streets. After he does his time he will be given a bus ticket back to where he got arrested, no job, no money, no housing, not even a photo ID

Old 05-24-2016, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Its obvious to everyone but a liberal when criminals are in jail their not committing crimes.
V8, liberals totally understand that, but we also know that it is not economically feasible to lock up everyone for the rest of their life to keep them from committing another crime. California currently spends 11 billion a year on it's prison system, do you want to lock everyone up forever and make that 11 trillion?

Old 05-24-2016, 11:58 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,280,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
V8, liberals totally understand that, but we also know that it is not economically feasible to lock up everyone for the rest of their life to keep them from committing another crime. California currently spends 11 billion a year on it's prison system, do you want to lock everyone up forever and make that 11 trillion?
What value do you put on human life ? Is there a certain dollar amount ?
What makes you think that the same type of person that would break into cars or homes wouldn't use deadly force to get what they want ?
Law enforcement knows these laws are bad .
Sorry you don't get it

Old 05-25-2016, 12:06 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,125,155 times
I have a open mind but how do we get Charlie car thief to get up and leave his meth buddie/gang bangers to go to trade school if we can't even threaten jail time? They are going to laugh at you as they walk out the door to steal again.

Who is going to pay all these teachers??? Tax payers I guess ... So I'm supposed to pay hundreds for LoJack then pay taxes so my car thief can go to school?

That's just not right

Old 05-25-2016, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
What value do you put on human life ? Is there a certain dollar amount ?
What makes you think that the same type of person that would break into cars or homes wouldn't use deadly force to get what they want ? Law enforcement knows these laws are bad . Sorry you don't get it
I don't get it? lol that's funny. What you seem to be saying is that because 'you think' that a non-violent petty thief might all of a sudden commit a violent crime that we should punish them as though they had committed a violent crime? I'm sorry but that is just crazy, read what you said again and think about it.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I have a open mind but how do we get Charlie car thief to get up and leave his meth buddie/gang bangers to go to trade school if we can't even threaten jail time? They are going to laugh at you as they walk out the door to steal again. Who is going to pay all these teachers??? Tax payers I guess ... So I'm supposed to pay hundreds for LoJack then pay taxes so my car thief can go to school?
That's just not right
Vehicle Code section 10851 (auto theft) is not an offense that is eligible for reduction under Proposition 47 So just like it has been for decades, it can be charged either as a misdemeanor or a felony. If charged as a misdemeanor the penalty is up to 12 months in jail, if charged as a felony the sentence is 16, 24, or 36 months.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:42 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,280,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't get it? lol that's funny. What you seem to be saying is that because 'you think' that a non-violent petty thief might all of a sudden commit a violent crime that we should punish them as though they had committed a violent crime? I'm sorry but that is just crazy, read what you said again and think about it.
No what I'm saying is being soft on crime is bad because it means more criminals are on the street and able to commit more crimes ...
Also what would you consider non violent or petty theft ?

Old 05-25-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
No what I'm saying is being soft on crime is bad because it means more criminals are on the street and able to commit more crimes ...
Also what would you consider non violent or petty theft ?
I won't tell you what I consider, but I will share with you what California has decided are serious or violent crimes:

LIST OF VIOLENT FELONY CRIMES THAT CONSTITUTE STRIKES IN CALIFORNIA
  • Murder and Voluntary Manslaughter
  • Mayhem
  • Rape
  • Forcible Sodomy
  • Forcible Oral Copulation
  • Lewd Acts on a Child Under 14
  • Any Felony Punished by Death or Life Without Parole
  • Any Felony that is also coupled with: Armed Sexual Assault, Great Bodily Injury, Great Bodily Occurring Injury During a Sex Assault, A Criminal Act that Ends a Pregnancy, The Personal Use of a Firearm
  • The Discharge of a Firearm From a Vehicle (drive by shooting)
  • Robbery
  • Arson
  • Forced Penetration
  • Attempted Murder
  • Explosives Charges
  • Kidnapping
  • Assault In Order to Commit Mayhem or a Sexual Act
  • Continuous Sexual Abuse
  • Carjacking
  • Extortion with a Gang Allegation
  • Criminal Threats with a Gang Allegation
  • Discharge of a Firearm during a Felony
  • Possession of Weapon of Mass Destruction
LIST OF SERIOUS FELONY CRIMES THAT CONSTITUTE STRIKES IN CALIFORNIA
  • Any Felony that Involves the Personal Use Deadly or Dangerous Weapon as Defined by Criminal Statute
  • Providing Drugs to a Minor
  • Grand Theft Using A Firearm
  • Carjacking
  • Felony Gang Allegation
  • Assault In Order to Commit Mayhem or a Sexual Act
  • Throwing Acid at a Person
  • Certain Assaults With a Deadly Weapon
  • Aggravated Assault
  • Discharge of a Firearm into an Inhabited Building
  • Rape in Concert
  • Child Molestation in Most Cases
  • Drive By Shooting
  • Dissuading a Victim
  • Criminal Threats
  • Attempt of All of the Above Listed Crimes
  • Personal Use of a Firearm During the Commission of A Felony
  • Possession of a Weapon of Mass Destruction
  • Conspiracy to Commit and of the Listed Crimes
  • Residential burglary

Definition of petty theft: Petty Theft Laws | California Penal Code 484 & 488 PC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California