Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2016, 11:15 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Is there a sweet satisfaction among Californians to tout the successes of the state as a 'boo yah' moment? The incessant need to have a drop the mic attitude? Tule Mutt you can list all the economic data you'd like because the question posed was always to whom would all the growth benefit even in the midst of rising costs. Who will it hurt, who will it benefit? There are real issues with the current status quo. I don't think JM is being "anti-Californian", I think a lot of people like him are concerned as to what's happening to their state.
Yet I'm shocked at the sheer number of lock step cheer leading that happens in the CA forum to no matter what disaster policy the state enacts.
Not even on the Texas forums do people in Austin support every measure that contributes to their meteoric rise. There's heathy debate there. Real concern. Here it's get the hell out at its worse, or change your mindset and adopt a lower standard of living at its nicest. No actually questioning as to whether this is at all healthy for the state.
I have been accused many times of "cheerleading" California success. It is curious. Because, if you were to read a lot of my posts you'd find that I am definitely anti-growth: population, business, infrastructure - all. The reason I persist in "listing all the economic data" that points to success isn't a "drop the mic attitude" in the slightest.

The reality is, in ANY debate, working with false data and false assumptions is going to result in total garbage being passed as legitimate ideas.

I post truthful, factual observations. And if you read them at face value, you'll note that I don't present them as any kind of advocacy for development. When I do add commentary it often is to point out that the state's "successes" as measured by development is what's choking the place to death.

I have never accused jm of "being anti-Californian". I point out that he is clearly mistaken in many of his assumptions. Dismally so.

"Who gets hurt and who benefits" is obvious around here. It's also quite obvious it's a juggernaut dynamic. The solutions are beyond the acceptance of shallow human nature. It's called minimalism, sustainability policies, and population control.

So, you all can be "concerned about your state" till the cows come home or disappear altogether. But, until you face the realities you'll never arrive at real solutions. Posting nonsense, "beliefs", and endless argumentative opinions provides no foundation for the future. Start with acknowledging truths. Facts. Science. Statistics. Data. Historical records.

When / if you do - eventually you'll have to acknowledge that it is impossible to expand infinitely in a finite paradigm. And that "Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of a cancer cell."

Our entire species's plan for survival is built on consumer capitalism's perpetual growth. On a finite planet. Which is the definition of insanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 11:18 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah good point. There is a lot of ignorance for sure.

A lot of it has to do with where the big media bases are. Which is Los Angeles and New York.
Most people are hearing about what's happening in Manhattan, what's happening in L.A.
Maybe once in awhile they'll talk about another city if there's a mass shooting or something.
People have this outdated vision that all of Texas is just a cowboy state or something, like you are saying.

In Frisco , where Jamba Juice is relocating their HQ.. their motto is "There's room to grow in Frisco, bring your dreams"
That's pretty inspiring and exciting..

There is $5Billion in development happening in Frisco in one mile . They call it the $5 Billion mile.
Cities like this are what I imagine L.A was decades ago when it was growing quickly and there were opportunities to get in more on the ground floor.
There is no doubt that markets like L.A,SF,NYC are just more saturated and favor those that got in earlier or those that come from other places like China that have big money to play.
Frisco Economic Development Corporation
It's sloganeering, jm. Which is sophist tripe and does nothing to address the true challenges of the decadence of our culture.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:19 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
I think Texas is where CA was back in its golden years when it was growing into its own. I'm objective enough to admit that it has s long way to go but for what it offers it's a great deal. What saddens me is the only reactions I get from zealous Californians is condescension based on media hype. Then again I have noticed the culture here is to be very trendy and pop culture minded. It's an innovative state but I haven't seen this iconoclastic independent spirit I've seen in Texas. It almost annoys some Californians that there are other models that counter their success. Instead of saying good for you keep it up, it's just "yeah but you have to live in Texas" as if that's a real insult or something. It only works if you have that very trendy pop centered mindset that's plugged into the zeitgeist.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I have been accused many times of "cheerleading" California success. It is curious. Because, if you were to read a lot of my posts you'd find that I am definitely anti-growth: population, business, infrastructure - all. The reason I persist in "listing all the economic data" that points to success isn't a "drop the mic attitude" in the slightest.

The reality is, in ANY debate, working with false data and false assumptions is going to result in total garbage being passed as legitimate ideas.

I post truthful, factual observations. And if you read them at face value, you'll note that I don't present them as any kind of advocacy for development. When I do add commentary it often is to point out that the state's "successes" as measured by development is what's choking the place to death.

I have never accused jm of "being anti-Californian". I point out that he is clearly mistaken in many of his assumptions. Dismally so.

"Who gets hurt and who benefits" is obvious around here. It's also quite obvious it's a juggernaut dynamic. The solutions are beyond the acceptance of shallow human nature. It's called minimalism, sustainability policies, and population control.

So, you all can be "concerned about your state" till the cows come home or disappear altogether. But, until you face the realities you'll never arrive at real solutions. Posting nonsense, "beliefs", and endless argumentative opinions provides no foundation for the future. Start with acknowledging truths. Facts. Science. Statistics. Data. Historical records.

When / if you do - eventually you'll have to acknowledge that it is impossible to expand infinitely in a finite paradigm. And that "Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of a cancer cell."

Our entire species's plan for survival is built on consumer capitalism's perpetual growth. On a finite planet. Which is the definition of insanity.
I never disputed your numbers Tule Mutt, just what does that mean for the people on the ground? California's economy will always be a juggernaut but can the average person thrive and afford what people in other states can? Does it have to be a state where it's difficult to buy a home for many? It just seems as though the trajectory LA is heading for is that it's going to be just like another "world class" city where the affluent afford the best, people flock from all over limiting supply, and policies will cater to that. I never thought that outside of NYC would the US have more than one city like that.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay2Win View Post
Yes. Seemed pretty clear from my post.
If anything I am also bashing CA due to calling Riverside the boonies, right?

I really don't see where I am bashing any state at all. I said Frisco was in the boonies. Not Texas is a complete wasteland dump hellhole.
But Frisco isn't the boonies by any objective measure. Boonies to me is west Texas after San Angelo before you get to El Paso. You compared Friscon to the Bay Area and said it wax the boonies. Boonies is not a positive term.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:27 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
I think Texas is where CA was back in its golden years when it was growing into its own. I'm objective enough to admit that it has s long way to go but for what it offers it's a great deal. What saddens me is the only reactions I get from zealous Californians is condescension based on media hype. Then again I have noticed the culture here is to be very trendy and pop culture minded. It's an innovative state but I haven't seen this iconoclastic independent spirit I've seen in Texas. It almost annoys some Californians that there are other models that counter their success. Instead of saying good for you keep it up, it's just "yeah but you have to live in Texas" as if that's a real insult or something. It only works if you have that very trendy pop centered mindset that's plugged into the zeitgeist.
Some housing options for Frisco,TX based Jamba Juice employees

Frisco, TX Real Estate & Homes for Sale | Trulia

How much more would similar homes be in the Bay Area?
One example here
12425 Ocean Spray Drive, Frisco, TX For Sale | Trulia.com

That would easily be several times the price...probably 300% or most likely more.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Some housing options for Frisco,TX based Jamba Juice employees

Frisco, TX Real Estate & Homes for Sale | Trulia

How much more would similar homes be in the Bay Area?
One example here
12425 Ocean Spray Drive, Frisco, TX For Sale | Trulia.com

That would easily be several times the price...probably 300% or most likely more.
But JM, don't ya know Frisco is in the boonies? Wouldn't you rather pay 300% more to live in the Bay Area. I mean, duh! Quality of life, dude!

Old 05-09-2016, 11:50 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
So is Frisco like our Orange County to Dallas? I've been to Texas but not Dallas. I was impressed by what I saw there (mainly San Antionio and Austin). There's no pot holes the fwys are open for the most part and people there are very friendly and state proud... You see Texas flags and stars everywhere. There's a lot worse areas to live in like LA

Old 05-09-2016, 11:55 AM

Frisco I guess would be like the OC as far as distance. The hill country is gorgeous. Austin is a remarkably safe and clean city. They did a hell of a job making it look immaculate for a city its size. It's in my opinion what the states answer to the Bay Area not counting SF. No real grungy sketchy parts either.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:59 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
But JM, don't ya know Frisco is in the boonies? Wouldn't you rather pay 300% more to live in the Bay Area. I mean, duh! Quality of life, dude!
Yup the boonies ..yet it has $5billion in development going on. Big corporations moving here AND about 35 minutes from Dallas,TX the 9th largest city in America with very strong growth.

Pretty nice boonie!

Also Frisco ,Tx has gasp a variety of restaraunt to eat at.
I thought they only ate BBQ in Texas

It's weird because when I looked on yelp they have Sushi, Mexican Food, Indian Food,etc.
I thought it would be rare to find that in a real boonie.
They have bars and gastropubs too!

The Best 10 Restaurants in Frisco, TX

Big shocker. I thought CA was the only place you could get a decent meal or drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California