Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 12:53 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,985,517 times

Advertisements

Just in my world, friends/family that moved out of California who ended up moving back from these cities:

Seattle
Las Vegas
Boise
Branson, MO
Manhattan
Madison, WI
Denver
Chicago
Tyler, TX
Detroit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 01:43 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,302,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Just in my world, friends/family that moved out of California who ended up moving back from these cities:

Seattle
Las Vegas
Boise
Branson, MO
Manhattan
Madison, WI
Denver
Chicago
Tyler, TX
Detroit
Mine went to Oregon, Washington, Idaho, NC, NV and NM. None want to return to CA.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:58 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,335,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I tend to refer to California, with its anti-development, anti-density Nimby's as CaliforNimbya, and there's San FranNimbya, for one!

"Oh no you don't! That motel has historical significance, it can't be torn down! Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton rented a room there one night and they had a nasty fight that woke up all the other guests!"

"No, that building can't be torn down either, it's on the National Historical Register! In fact, just about every building in Hollywood is on the Historical Register! Yeah! That building looks like it's ready to fall over, but you're not going to replace it with a high rise! Besides, the Hollywood Hills Nimby's would have a fit! It would block their view of the Valley smog!"

Santa Monica hasn't seen a new high rise since 1970, and from I've heard, the few that are standing, they may be torn down for lower density buildings or elegant single family homes!"

Lol. Wtf are you talking about? Go to Century City or downtown LA. There are HUGE multi storie apartment/condo buildings being built. Sooner are 30-40 floors or more. There are over 25 cranes out there.
I worked for a builder who had a 90 day multi family project accelerated to 70 day. And he said he has enough work for the next 3 years. Btw the apartment buildings are filling up to capacity in about 45 days. The starting price us 2500 for a 800 sq ft one room studio. The suites are topping 45/4900.

Each of these downtown blocks bring torn down are being purchased for about 50 million dollars. There is a ****load of money pouring into LA. Most people I know who moved out either came back or want to. But they all have been priced out.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 05-24-2016 at 03:00 PM..

Old 05-24-2016, 02:07 PM

50,129 posts, read 46,744,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post

Seattle
Las Vegas
Boise
Branson, MO
Manhattan
Madison, WI
Denver
Chicago
Tyler, TX
Detroit
I have some that went out but can't afford to come back.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:13 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,888,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I have some that went out but can't afford to come back.
My husband I are in that situation now but we just realized that we may be able to go to certain parts of SoCal but yes, I am priced out of most of the Bay Area. I want to be able to pay college tuition and save for retirement. If we moved back to The Bay Area we would be spending too much for housing. I miss CA! I have been gone for 27 years but I am starting to miss family and my golden state.��

Old 05-24-2016, 02:32 PM

827 posts, read 685,540 times
I lived in CA for a while, and if money was no object, I would live in a house walking distance to the beach someplace like Santa Barbara or Malibu. Life would be grand. However, the world doesn't work like that, and money is an object.

I live in Florida now, and it may not have the scenic mountains or the surf, but it is a nice place to live. The big difference is that I bought my 3 bedroom house for what 5 years worth of rent was going to cost me for a 1 bedroom apartment in Venice Beach. I can walk to the beach and grow topical fruit trees in my yard.

I know several people who left California for Colorado. Maui also has a fairly large number of Californians. California is a great place to live, so saying that you are ready to "flee" California might be exaggerating a bit, but there certainly are other good places around the country and the world. I will always have good memories of my time there, but I don't regret leaving either.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:04 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,704,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soursop View Post
I lived in CA for a while, and if money was no object, I would live in a house walking distance to the beach someplace like Santa Barbara or Malibu. Life would be grand. However, the world doesn't work like that, and money is an object.

I live in Florida now, and it may not have the scenic mountains or the surf, but it is a nice place to live. The big difference is that I bought my 3 bedroom house for what 5 years worth of rent was going to cost me for a 1 bedroom apartment in Venice Beach. I can walk to the beach and grow topical fruit trees in my yard.

I know several people who left California for Colorado. Maui also has a fairly large number of Californians. California is a great place to live, so saying that you are ready to "flee" California might be exaggerating a bit, but there certainly are other good places around the country and the world. I will always have good memories of my time there, but I don't regret leaving either.
Like being able to buy a home?

Old 05-24-2016, 03:51 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,556,350 times
Quote:

Well everyone is different. Right now it's still 90 degrees in your area with humdity, and it's only May. I lived in FL for awhile, I found it too hot and humid for too long, it's not just the summer. It can start in March and continue through Christmas.

Yes, you can buy a house much cheaper, but IMO the weather is miserable most of the year. The winter months were similar to Southern CA in that they got drier.

I remember one Oct it got unusually cooler and dry one weekend, it was about 75 with a breeze and low humidity, people were over the moon, it lasted two days. I said that is Southern CA most of the year.

BTW my car insurance dropped by several hundred dollars returing to CA. Also no more triple digit utility bills every month, and groceries are cheaper here. I was shocked at how expensive the supermarkets were in FL, and Publix seems to have a monoploy in many areas.

I remember asking about a discount card like Vons and Ralphs had, no such card. Asked about double coupons, I was asked "what's a double coupon"....LOL. I explained how that worked.

Only thing really cheaper in FL is home ownership, and there are places in FL where homes are more expensive than parts of CA.

I don't miss 85 degrees at 8am with 90% humidity and it stays that way even at night. The only time you can open a window is in for about 3 months out of the year.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:31 PM

827 posts, read 685,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well everyone is different. Right now it's still 90 degrees in your area with humdity, and it's only May. I lived in FL for awhile, I found it too hot and humid for too long, it's not just the summer. It can start in March and continue through Christmas.

Yes, you can buy a house much cheaper, but IMO the weather is miserable most of the year. The winter months were similar to Southern CA in that they got drier.

I remember one Oct it got unusually cooler and dry one weekend, it was about 75 with a breeze and low humidity, people were over the moon, it lasted two days. I said that is Southern CA most of the year.

BTW my car insurance dropped by several hundred dollars returing to CA. Also no more triple digit utility bills every month, and groceries are cheaper here. I was shocked at how expensive the supermarkets were in FL, and Publix seems to have a monoploy in many areas.

I remember asking about a discount card like Vons and Ralphs had, no such card. Asked about double coupons, I was asked "what's a double coupon"....LOL. I explained how that worked.

Only thing really cheaper in FL is home ownership, and there are places in FL where homes are more expensive than parts of CA.

I don't miss 85 degrees at 8am with 90% humidity and it stays that way even at night. The only time you can open a window is in for about 3 months out of the year.
Like I said, I loved it in California, but I don't entirely agree with some of your statements.

I'll take 85 and humid in May over 60 with marine layer in June any time. I'm not knocking California weather because it is great a lot of the time, but I remember some summers that were pretty chilly in June.

My house has doubled in value since I bought it, so I'll take that to the bank and pay a bit more in car insurance.

Grocery prices are higher in Florida, it is true, but local purchasing power in Saint Petersburg, FL is still 13.20% higher than in Santa Monica, CA, so your statement that everything is cheaper in CA isn't entirely correct. numbeo.com for that statistic.

By the way, my windows are open, and I can smell the ocean breeze. Cheers from FL.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:38 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,556,350 times
Quote:
Like I said, I loved it in California, but I don't entirely agree with some of your statements.

I'll take 85 and humid in May over 60 with marine layer in June any time. I'm not knocking California weather because it is great a lot of the time, but I remember some summers that were pretty chilly in June.

My house has doubled in value since I bought it, so I'll take that to the bank and pay a bit more in car insurance.

Grocery prices are higher in Florida, it is true, but local purchasing power in Saint Petersburg, FL is still 13.20% higher than in Santa Monica, CA, so your statement that everything is cheaper in CA isn't entirely correct. numbeo.com for that statistic.

By the way, my windows are open, and I can smell the ocean breeze. Cheers from FL.

Well per the online weather it is currently 78 degrees in St. Pete, which is not bad until you factor in the 70% humidity, which makes it feel more like 85 degrees, perhaps you like it hot in your house, most have the A/C going at 85. When I lived in FL the A/C was on most of the year 24/7, not just due to the heat, you have to run it due to mold.

That's great that your house has doubled, but unless you plan on selling it doesn't really matter.

Than there are the people. Always found people in CA to be friendlier with better manners, FL is overloaded with NY/NJ transplants(and I was born and raised in NY), and they're beyond rude. They can live in FL for 20 years and still act like they're in The Bronx....LOL.

In fact before I left FL and took a road trip up to Georgia and NC. What a difference, people smiled, held doors, actually had manners. It was hard not to notice the difference. That's not to say there aren't nice people in FL, of course there are, but I saw a lot of rude behavior(again northern transplants for the most part)

And driving, between the 85 year olds who shouldn't be driving(as you know in FL a license is good for 8 years) and the teens who think they're in NASCAR, it's a free for all.

Every once in awhile you get a jerk on the roads here, in FL it was a daily occurrence . I saw more horrific wrecks in FL in a few years than I did in CA in over 20 years.

I'll take CA, and I have the windows open also....

And I love a marine layer in the morning. It burns off as it gets close to noon, fine by me, 85 at 8am gave me a headache.

Look, if you're happy there good for you. That's the main thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California