Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 09:01 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,918,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Hint, its hard to take you seriously when you come off name calling anyone who disagrees with your sweeping generalizations and assumptions. Do you really even want to have an intelligent conversation with anyone? If so, that's not how you start one.

First off, I would suggest re-reading the article you cited. There are plenty of jobs in CA including those for that are higher playing. The problem is, many are unwilling to go to school long enough and study in areas which are in high demand. I know, I've worked as a hiring manager for a Fortune 500 Company in CA. We're hiring throughout the state looking for candidates with adequate skills and training. But if you've already made up your mind there are no high paying jobs, your more than welcome to move somewhere else. We'll gladly hire the more ambitious locals as well as those from other states.

From the LA Times article:

This is not a story about L.A. [County] being horrible and the rest of the country being wonderful; we are just a microcosm of what’s going on nationally,” said Alec Levenson, an economist at USC.

Average wages across the country have only inched forward every year for the last three decades, according to a 2015 report by President Obama's Council of Economic Advisors. “This is the latest chapter in a continuing story about the hollowing out of the middle class,” Levenson said...

In any case, economists say many college graduates coming out of Los Angeles were always going to move elsewhere. The ones that stay will be snapped up by companies eager for high-skilled people.

“Most companies will tell you that the problem they have isn’t that they can’t find workers, it’s that they can’t find workers with the skills they need,”
said Thornberg.

Derek
I am an LA native, have a masters degree and a high paying job. I'm not going anywhere.

But you and the Dems are content with a large peasant class because it means more votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 09:10 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Just what the hell is the story on CAs or LAs economy? So many conflicting reports. On the one hand we have a big population boom in LA but then another article I've read says record numbers are ditching LA County.
One report says job growth is exploding but another says the majority will be low wage work.

Companies are being started up while others are leaving. Then there are the various back and forth convos about the positives of the economy and then the negatives, each with their own stats.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:34 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,918,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Just what the hell is the story on CAs or LAs economy? So many conflicting reports. On the one hand we have a big population boom in LA but then another article I've read says record numbers are ditching LA County.
One report says job growth is exploding but another says the majority will be low wage work.

Companies are being started up while others are leaving. Then there are the various back and forth convos about the positives of the economy and then the negatives, each with their own stats.
Well it's quite simple. There IS a lot of job growth...but it's low paying crappy jobs.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:36 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
I am an LA native, have a masters degree and a high paying job. I'm not going anywhere.

But you and the Dems are content with a large peasant class because it means more votes.
So that's your answer to an intelligent conversation, more assumptions and stereotypes about people you don't even know? Nice try but very weak indeed. Name calling proves weakness in thought and ability to reason. You've lost all credibility before you've even begun. Try those comments in any kind a professional or scholarly discussion and you're out. Enjoy your narrow view of the world including stereotyping everyone who disagrees with you blaming those 'liberals' for all CA's problems. I hope that attitude works well for you at work and with other adults you interact with.

Any time something good happens in CA including its economy there will always be mockers who find something negative to say. Its easy to find a link to an article with a negative title even without reading its content or context.

Derek

Old 06-06-2016, 10:44 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
Well it's quite simple. There IS a lot of job growth...but it's low paying crappy jobs.
The California economy has changed dramatically over the past 3 decades (the catalyst of this change can be debated). I'll highlight what I think is good in green, and what I think is bad in red.

- The market for high skilled jobs (especially in STEM) seem to be growing, and not just in California, this is a national trend. SF, Silicon Valley, and LA/OC seem to be the major beneficiaries within the state.

- Low experience, low wage jobs experienced a slight bump in the service sector over the past 4 years. Of course with the implementation of the $15 minimum wage beginning, expect this number to fall in the coming years (just as it did when Seattle passed the $15 minimum wage).

- Historically well paying jobs in aerospace, petrol processing & manufacturing have been decimated in CA, and have virtually all but left the state for places like Texas, Oregon, and Washington.

- Thousands of clerical and administrative work is also disappearing due to major companies moving their HQs out of California (Toyota, Carl Jr,).

- Small business formation in California is at a 25 year low. Small businesses, IMO, suffer the worst due to California's taxes and regulatory environment because they are "least" able to pass cost to consumers without major negative effects, and most "sensitive" to cost burdens increasing. So these jobs are disappearing rapidly outside of the tech sector.

Governor Brown said in 2013, "We’ve got a few problems. We have lots of little burdens and regulations and taxes.” So he realizes the regulatory environment and taxes are a big problem, but you can see how much he, the senate, and the assembly have done to actually address that (I find this pertinent to mention in light of the vote on Tuesday).

CA democrats claimed that "Green" jobs would replace all the industries which have virtually left California, but I'll let you go ahead and see the numbers on the creation of "Green jobs". Suffice to say, they are not great.

Overall, I think California is becoming an economy of haves, and have nots. You can guess what effect that might have on the politics of the state.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:32 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Seems like high paying work for credentialed professionals or low wage work for the rest. Housing costs cintinue to rise. Sucks...

Old 06-06-2016, 12:50 PM

271 posts, read 214,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
The California economy has changed dramatically over the past 3 decades (the catalyst of this change can be debated). I'll highlight what I think is good in green, and what I think is bad in red.

- The market for high skilled jobs (especially in STEM) seem to be growing, and not just in California, this is a national trend. SF, Silicon Valley, and LA/OC seem to be the major beneficiaries within the state.

- Low experience, low wage jobs experienced a slight bump in the service sector over the past 4 years. Of course with the implementation of the $15 minimum wage beginning, expect this number to fall in the coming years (just as it did when Seattle passed the $15 minimum wage).

- Historically well paying jobs in aerospace, petrol processing & manufacturing have been decimated in CA, and have virtually all but left the state for places like Texas, Oregon, and Washington.

- Thousands of clerical and administrative work is also disappearing due to major companies moving their HQs out of California (Toyota, Carl Jr,).

- Small business formation in California is at a 25 year low. Small businesses, IMO, suffer the worst due to California's taxes and regulatory environment because they are "least" able to pass cost to consumers without major negative effects, and most "sensitive" to cost burdens increasing. So these jobs are disappearing rapidly outside of the tech sector.

Governor Brown said in 2013, "We’ve got a few problems. We have lots of little burdens and regulations and taxes.” So he realizes the regulatory environment and taxes are a big problem, but you can see how much he, the senate, and the assembly have done to actually address that (I find this pertinent to mention in light of the vote on Tuesday).

CA democrats claimed that "Green" jobs would replace all the industries which have virtually left California, but I'll let you go ahead and see the numbers on the creation of "Green jobs". Suffice to say, they are not great.

Overall, I think California is becoming an economy of haves, and have nots. You can guess what effect that might have on the politics of the state.
Seems about right. I would just say that your description for the "aerospace sector" mainly has to do with the manufacturing/servicing/blue collar type of aerospace jobs. I don't think the engineering / white collar jobs wiped out nearly as hard.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:01 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yermum View Post
Seems about right. I would just say that your description for the "aerospace sector" mainly has to do with the manufacturing/servicing/blue collar type of aerospace jobs. I don't think the engineering / white collar jobs wiped out nearly as hard.
Yeah I don't know about jobs higher on the totem pole (mechanical engineers, software engineers, etc), those probably have experienced a bump if anything just like those jobs have experienced bumps in other industries. But they also constitute a much smaller percentage of jobs than manufacturing jobs, so the net effect still ends up being negative for that industry in terms of job loss.

I'm actually an investor in Boeing, and I occasionally don't throw away the annual investor briefs that come in those huge magazine sized envelopes. One thing I found startling:

- There are 5 times more Boeing jobs in Washington State now than there are in California. I remember 30 years ago when that was the exact opposite. It's frightening really to think about how many regular non-stem / degree credentialed jobs California has lost in 30 years. And people wonder why they aren't able to afford a home in CA.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:03 PM

285 posts, read 540,876 times
Default Not just CA

Quote:

What you are describing is what has happened nationwide. Part time jobs, lower paying jobs, more people going into the long term/permanent unemployed or underemployed ranks (Labor participation rate).

Ca has the worst parasitic drag from regulations that I have ever seen. Doesn't Matter the industry. Even when rich in resources, the regs deter using them. Look at water, forestry, oil.

some of us saw what was happening/going to happen at the turn of the century and bailed then.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:49 PM

271 posts, read 214,149 times
Quote:
Yeah I don't know about jobs higher on the totem pole (mechanical engineers, software engineers, etc), those probably have experienced a bump if anything just like those jobs have experienced bumps in other industries. But they also constitute a much smaller percentage of jobs than manufacturing jobs, so the net effect still ends up being negative for that industry in terms of job loss.

I'm actually an investor in Boeing, and I occasionally don't throw away the annual investor briefs that come in those huge magazine sized envelopes. One thing I found startling:

- There are 5 times more Boeing jobs in Washington State now than there are in California. I remember 30 years ago when that was the exact opposite. It's frightening really to think about how many regular non-stem / degree credentialed jobs California has lost in 30 years. And people wonder why they aren't able to afford a home in CA.
This is what actually scares me when the big Fortune 500 companies leave the state. Whether they take 500 or 2000 jobs with them when they move HQs is honestly pretty irrelevant. But it's all the FUTURE job and job growth that leave too. All the business to business suppliers, vendors, servicers that have now lost another client. Also, all the future jobs will be based in the new location and all the investment the company makes will be in the new state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California