Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Feelings on the gun laws
Want less restrictive gun laws 57 50.89%
Want more restrictive gun laws 41 36.61%
Happy the way it is 5 4.46%
Don't care 9 8.04%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 03:10 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,985,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
This will absolutely, 100% cause MORE mental illness. If being seen by a psychiatrist means you may have your guns taken away, many folks will forgo treatment.
It would only mean that if you are determined to be a danger to yourself or anyone else. 2/3 of gun deaths in the U.S are suicides. I'm guessing some people should have had their guns taken away at some point before they got added to the stat, and they should have been given treatment.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yermum View Post
Because the guy's screen name is Shooting4life. Pretty sure that's self explanatory

For the gun hoarder "prepper" types any type of gun regulation is completely diabolical. They thing civilians should be able to own rocket launchers, grenade launchers, and death stars.
I own a handgun myself, and I want to buy an AR15 later. But I am not a danger to myself or my community. Someone who has been clinically diagnosed as bipolar with sociopath tendencies should not be able to buy a gun.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:55 PM

271 posts, read 214,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
This will absolutely, 100% cause MORE mental illness. If being seen by a psychiatrist means you may have your guns taken away, many folks will forgo treatment.
So you're saying there's a direct link between gun nuts and mental health nuts?

Old 06-07-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
So you're saying there's a direct link between gun nuts and mental health nuts?
Good catch. I thought that line of logic seemed suspect.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:15 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Maybe. So what's wrong with a medical professional making that determination?

It would be a due process. People get evaluated by a medical professional. They are found to be dangerously mentally ill. They should not own a firearm.

You have a problem with this, why?
Because medical professionals are not a court of law. Due process means something. If someone is a danger to themselves or others then they should be 5150 and use that process that has more checks and balances.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Because medical professionals are not a court of law. Due process means something. If someone is a danger to themselves or others then they should be 5150 and use that process that has more checks and balances.
Uh so how would you know someone is mentally a danger to themselves or someone else?

Old 06-07-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Why would I end up on a government list. I'm not some what job conspiracy nut. Nor a criminal, nor a terrorist. I'm not worried about that in the slightest.
You could end up on the list just like the 5 year old, error by the government.

Take a little time reading up on the many errors on the no fly list.

The list in California for who can't own guns is so full of errors that a judge won't even issue a warrant to search a person's house to find a gun if they have a gun registered to them and they are on the list of people who cannot own guns. Police have to go to the persons house and ask if they can search for an illegal gun.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Buddy, individuals can BARELY make good decisions for themselves. Individuals certainly can't make good decisions as for what's best for society.

IE. Tragedy if the Commons.

Why do you think we have laws to begin with?
Laws are individuals making decisions for society.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
I own a handgun myself, and I want to buy an AR15 later. But I am not a danger to myself or my community. Someone who has been clinically diagnosed as bipolar with sociopath tendencies should not be able to buy a gun.
With medication someone with similar conditions would be indistinguishable from anyone else. How many rights should be taken away for what someone might do?

Maybe we can create a pre crime division and start locking people up for possible future crime. Maybe it will be used to lock up black males between 15-28 from single parents in low income neighborhoods since they are more likely to commit a violent crime, including murder than anyone else, including those seeking mental health treatment. How serious are you about stopping crime?

Old 06-07-2016, 06:27 PM

271 posts, read 214,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Laws are individuals making decisions for society.
Plural. I.e. groups of elected officials. Elsewise it would be a dictatorship. And many laws are voted on via direct election.

But if you want to live in some right wing fascist dictatorship go right ahead. If you want to live in America, it's going to be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California