Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Feelings on the gun laws
Want less restrictive gun laws 57 50.89%
Want more restrictive gun laws 41 36.61%
Happy the way it is 5 4.46%
Don't care 9 8.04%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 09:57 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Gun suicides continue to increase, so by imposing waiting periods, they hope that rate will decline.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...han-homicides/
I can understand why democrat politicians and media would think that, but can you actually analyze the logic of that in your head? Seriously, just think this one through.

Even if we ignored that Japan has a higher per capita suicide rate than the U.S, and has basically zero private gun ownership, do you think that a trivial waiting period is going to prevent a person from being able to kill themselves? Hanging and Poison together claim as many people in the U.S (as a method of suicide) as firearms but I don't see lib-rags like the Washington Post talking about regulating pills or ropes, do you?

Old 06-01-2016, 10:32 AM

50,275 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I guess people lack the creativity to find another way to commit suicide.

Why must I wait 10 days every time I buy a new gun, driving to the gun store twice, certainly one of the dozens I own would be adequate.
Remember, this is not about logic, it's about "feel good" and control. The control part being you have to wait. A BGC after the first one is nothing more than control.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:55 PM

1,485 posts, read 954,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messerschmitts View Post
I'm probably leaving California in about 2 years as soon as I can get a new job lined up. It will be 60% due to cost of living, 40% due to increasingly oppressive, ridiculous gun laws. Myself, my brother, my wife all shoot and support gun rights. Definitely DO NOT WANT moar gun laws. However, apparently most of the other people here do.
Looks as though the government is really working peoples emotions into a frenzy with the government staged and sponsored mass shootings.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:40 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,098,948 times
Oh man, the idiots came out in full force for this thread. Where do I begin?

(I am the child of a Federal Firearms Dealer and Concealed Carry instructor, and began shooting at the age of 5. I've studied more than my fair share of investigations and analysis.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
I'd rather use a baseball bat if my life was in danger in my house. I don't need to carry a gun to feel safe or feel masculine.
Good for you. Others prefer to fight fire with fire--they don't tell you to buy a gun and you don't tell them to use a bat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_tx View Post
From my perspective, the main objective would be to reduce the number of high-capacity firearms in circulation. Given the number of these types of guns in existence, it's a challenging feat, but you have to start somewhere.
Criminals don't care about the ban on high-cap magazines. They simply get them elsewhere. Additionally - anyone, including you and I, can carry multiple magazines, all capable of being swapped out in mere seconds...creating virtually unlimited capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
Anyone who looks at the statistics can EASILY see that more gun control would result in fewer gun deaths. You can't argue with facts.
Please explain the logic of more regulation = more safety. Because clearly that's worked out well for us. Maybe you could read up a bit, starting with Chigaco's current state?

Come on people, try harder.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:08 PM

Well, we can't bring up Chicago. That's too taboo for liberal MSM media, and if you do bring it up, well well.... ummm... that's waaayyycist.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:09 PM

I'm actually surprised at the results of this poll. I figured the regressive leftist would make this a landslide for more gun control, but it seems there are more liberatarians/conservatives on City-Data than I expected.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:36 PM

271 posts, read 214,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
I'm actually surprised at the results of this poll. I figured the regressive leftist would make this a landslide for more gun control, but it seems there are more liberatarians/conservatives on City-Data than I expected.
You clearly haven't wandered over to the Politics section of the forum yet.

This forum is slanted far right.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yermum View Post
You clearly haven't wandered over to the Politics section of the forum yet.

This forum is slanted far right.
Oh. That is tempting. But dare I invest the time, and risk being entangled in numerous verbal tête-à-têtes?

Old 06-06-2016, 05:26 PM

55 posts, read 128,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post

Might just be the people I know, but the majority of my peers/social circle I grew up with around here are pro gun, if not full-on gun collectors.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:38 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,069,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITguy85 View Post
I just want some honest insight on this because I find it to be quite upsetting. I'm a active duty service member fighting for freedom and civil liberties and it feels like the state is always trying to take away.
I served and I support gun control.

US Navy 1999 to 2003. Honorable discharge. Rank/rate STS3(SS). Units USS Florida SSBN-728 and USS Asheville SSN-758, both nuclear powered submarines. Qualified Topside Sentry and Petty Officer of the Deck; both are armed watches, requiring me to receive military firearms training. I am qualified M16A3, M14, M9 and the 12 ga shotgun.

I have been a member of the Democratic Party since I turned 18. I voted for Obama twice and I voted for Arnold Schwarzenegger for Governor twice. In the last election for Governor, I voted for Meg Whitman, Republican and former CEO of eBay.

I just cast my ballot for Hillary Clinton for the nomination.

I am a moderate.

Quote:
These state members are supposed to be representatives of the PEOPLE, and I have not met people that want these strict gun laws. Why are we going to punish law abiding citizens?
It is not about punishment, brother. Or as we say in the Navy, shipmate. It is about public safety.

Quote:
The attacks in France are an example of how restrictive gun laws mean nothing to bad people.
Not really. Paris doesn't have a gun massacre every six months like we do in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California